Taxi or Bus to Pearl Harbor?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This coming August my family and I will be going to Hawaii. For part of the trip we're staying at the Waikiki Beachcomber. We're not renting a car while in Honolulu.

I know I could take the 20 bus to Pearl Harbor from there, but that takes an hour or so according to Honolulu's bus company website. How long via taxi? Assuming taxi's are available. Also, how much would such a cab ride cost?

I'm most concerned with arriving at the Arizona memorial at a decent enough time to get the required tickets and not wait incredibly long. And still enjoy a leisurely breakfast. I wolf down something in the AM often enough on the way to work, I don't want a "going to work" experience here.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 05:33 PM

A taxi would take about 30 minutes from the Beachcomber and cost about $30-$35 each way.

Have you considered renting a car just for the day? Rentals are quite cheap in Honolulu, and there are pick up locations in Waikiki. You'd pay less than the cab fare, and you could then drive around the island for the rest of the day.

Just drop it off in the evening so that you don't have to pay for parking at your hotel.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

O.K., thanks for the info. I'm just considering my options. So far I've gone along with the advise in this forum plus what my travel agent advised and have not reserved a car while in Waikiki, but maybe this is something I should do.

On other trips I've used public transit, but that's been in the form of the local subway (Washington DC metro) That's why I went along with the advise - riding the bus shouldn't be a problem until I see that it's an hour or more to get to PH.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:27 AM
bonniebroad

Johnwaren, I would use the Arizona Memorial Shuttle, which picks you up and drops you back off at your hotel in Waikiki. It was perfect for us... we used it because it was so convenient and reasonable.

Arizona Memorial Shuttle Bus (tel. 808/839-0911), picks up at Waikiki hotels 6:50am-1pm (about $6 round-trip, pp)

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

That sounds great! Thanks for the info bonniebroad.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 08:18 AM
bonniebroad

Johnwaron, we did the very earliest pickup, and were in the first group going in, and back in Waikiki by the time some people were waking up for late brunch!

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
That's what I was going to suggest... some kind of tour bus/shuttle specific to get you to Pearl Harbor.

After you arrive, you'll find all kinds of free tourist magazines in stands along the sidewalks outlining all kinds of tours, activities, and transportaton options available.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I thought as much. It'll take a little stress off if I go knowing that I have an option in hand for an activity that I am certain I want to do. Almost everything else I can wing. I am SO looking forward to this. As every first time visitor to Hawaii does.