Reload this Page >

Tavern on the Green in December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:20 PM
New to NY

We would like to dine there one evening, does anyone know if you can specify a particular room or are they all equivelant??? Would you choose to make a special meal out of it or go post-theatre??

Thank you in advance!!

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Lois

I'd go for a pre-theatre dinner. Prices are usually a much better deal, and it's convenient enough to get to the theatre dist. from there, with taxis always available there.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 02:24 PM
xxx

I'd go anywhere but there! My mom & I went last Dec. (we're from out of town) It was a tourist trap with terrible food, definitely not special.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Statia

Haven't been myself, but I understand the Crystal Room has the best ambiance. However, their website states that they will not take reservations for a particular room (since everyone wants the Crystal Room). You get what you get. Good luck.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 03:00 PM
Edgar

A free Thanksgiving turkey to anyone who can locate the classic thread "Nightmare at Tavern on the Green"! I'd like to re-read it for a chuckle.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:10 PM
LilMsFoodie

Not sure if they call it the Crystal room but the conservatory or greenhouse room is the one to dine in. The loveliest lighting of any restaurant I've ever seen. The food was just fine but not exceptional but this is an experience really not a restaurant.

Like a fairy princess room for adult women. The lighting makes everyone look their best.
Huge gaudy (in a good sense) chandeliers, floral table clothes and fairy lights on the trees outside the greenhouse make for a n unforgettable atmosphere. It charges the room.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Pat

Yes, by all means, if you're going to the theater after dinner DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES CHECK YOUR COATS!!
You won't get them back in time and you'll miss your show or have to leave your coats or just plain curl up and die from frustration.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:36 PM
s

The food is adequate and the ambiance cannot be beat. The Christmas lights in December are well worth viewing. The Crystal room provides the best view opf the outside lighting.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 04:38 PM
newyorker

I agree. The coatcheck at TOG is the worst mess I've ever encountered. We waited 15 minutes to check our coats and gave up. The host told us we couldn't enter with our coats and he agreed to take them for us and brought the checks for them later.
Food is OK, nothing to write home about, but the atmosphere is amazing, especially at Christmas.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 08:02 AM
New to NY

Thanks for all of the replies...

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 09:35 AM
E.

If you make a reservation far enough in advance, they will note your room preference, and while it's not gauranteed, they will make an effort to seat you there (especially if you tip the staff at the podium). The Crystal Room is the most magical, and more than makes up for the food, which is so-so. The coat check won't be awful unless you're there on a weekend. Enjoy!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Philip

Unfortunately in December, the Crystal Room is taken by a lot of private parties. If you make a reservation, have a credit card ready. They usually want some guarantee you are going to show up.

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Joe G.

We went there for Sunday brunch the weekend between Christmas and New Years. It felt like we were on a TV show - Rawhide - we were the cattle. It is a special place to go to once however. If you are dining pre-theatre go someplace within walking distance.
Joe G.