Search

Taste of Chicago

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:09 AM
g

Taste of Chicago

My husband and I will be in Chicago for the Taste of Chicago this summer. When's the best time to go? Our first time... how do you go about it?

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:24 AM
kk

it starts the week of the 4th july
go to grant park, buy food vouchers (i forget home much they are)
and eat yourself into a coma

usually large crowds in evening. go around lunch time

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:43 AM
Cara

Don't go the first or last days. Try to go in the middle of the week and early.
It is a very touristy event (not really big with people who live in the city)and the food is o.k.
Don't drive anywhere near there if you are taking a car. Have fun in Chicago - there is so much to do in the summer.

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:03 AM
patg

http://www.cityofchicago.org/SpecialEvents/Festivals/Taste2002/
is the official website.

IMHO, the best thing about it is the free music. My family likes the food, so we go evry year. Arriving mid-afternoon on a weekday works well; check out the performance schedule for a group you want to hear. The Chicago Symphony always plays on July 3rd, which is also fireworks night. Needless to say, that night is unbelievably crowded. Much better is to get a hotel room with a view over the lake and enjoy the fireworks from there.

When you go, bring a backpack for your extras (including a picnic cloth or blanket) so your hands are free to balance your food. Wear your most comfortable clothing and shoes: nothing new, because you can easily step on spilled food or get swiped by a giant turkey leg. Don't bring much cash and keep it in your front pocket. Oh, and don't try to bring alcohol; I've seen the cops pour out entire bottles of expensive liquor while their owners mourned.

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Sheli

G:

Expect a large crushing crowd where all the food vendors are set-up. There are really no places to sit down once you get your food (some stalls have a few tables, and there are beer gardens) so plan to eat & walk or stake out a place on the grass (which is quite a walk from the food) and shuttle back 'n forth.

Last time we went on the 4th and it was crazy. We had a great time...but there were a lot of people. We parked in some underground garage (found a decent place) for a few bucks and stayed for the fireworks; didn't get out of the city until past midnight.

Have a good time, drink plenty of water and wear sunscreen!

Sheli

Old May 14th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Pat

Sheli: If you saw the fireworks at the Taste, then you were there on the 3rd of July - not the 4th! The City of Chicago always has their display on the 3rd.

Old May 14th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Jennifer

I live in Chicago and the Taste is very popular with people who live here. I agree to avoid weekends, lunchtime, and July 3rd. That day alone brings over a million people to the park.
You can buy your tickets there. If I remember correctly you get ten tickets for $6.00. A lot of booths have a sample size which costs less tickets and it is still a good sized portion.
Check out the website given in a previous listing for a list of restaurants. In the evenings there are usually well know musical groups playing at the Petrillo Music Shell. It is a lot of fun.