Search

Tampa trip/no kids

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tampa trip/no kids

Hi, we are leaving the kids for a few night with my parents and are heading to the Tampa area! Can anyone advise us of some fun things to do with 2 adults (ie Brewery, good dinners, beaches), etc.... We want a mixture of relaxation and excitement but also things we couldnt necessarily easily do with the kids! We have a car so can travel a small distance as well. We will be traveling in April during a Spring break week so that should be taken into consideration. Thanks.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 06:18 PM

Honeymoon Island State park is nice. You can take a water taxi over to Caladesi Island and enjoy the beach. They have a nice bathhouse on the island and a snack bar, too. You can also catch a fabulous sunset.
For great dinner out- Island Way Grill in Clearwater Beach is hands down- my fav. It is co-owned by 2 NFL pros.
Dunedin Brewery was totally hopping the last time we went!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 09:58 PM

Head to Tarpon Springs for a great greek meal.

You may also want to check out the Salvadore Dali Museum.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:04 AM

Ybor City is a fun place to dine one night...we at at Columbias and they had flamenco dancers. Fun to walk around; they have strings of lights over the streets...festive.

Where are you staying? We stayed at Renaissance Vinoy....what a beautiful property!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

We actually don't know where we are staying yet! May end up doing priceline for a nicer hotel although it is next week and it's spring break (2nd week of April) so that may be risky. Unsure of what town to stay in..We actually live on SE coast of Florida so trip is actually somewhat flexible. Thanks for all the assistance. Keep the messages coming
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 07:19 AM

I was looking at BiddingForTravel and saw someone actually got the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay for 4-14 through 4-17 for $75. I'm astounded...would have thought they'd have closed off Priceline bidding, but perhaps, because they aren't out at the beaches (the hotel, which is beautiful, is right on Tampa Bay) there is availability. You might have some luck with Priceline but I'd do it quickly!!
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I actually never used that site. Can you tell me how to navigate it?
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:54 PM

You must read and understand the FAQs in BiddingForTravel before you can ask for help. She can be brutal if you go in without doing your homework, but a great help if you have. You are getting short on time to study the site, decide on the locale you prefer, and make informed bids, but you sure can get a bargain if any are available now. Problem is...hotels anticipate selling out in this period, especially those on the beach, so deals are few and far between. Normally they will just close reservations to Priceline during busy periods, assuming they can sell for full price, and have a few rooms open if stragglers arrive without reservations. You might get lucky, but bidding on Priceline, I'd bid ONLY 3 or 4 star hotels. Priceline's star level doesn't necessarily correspond to those of recognized rating systems such as AAA or Mobil.

Hurry up carefully and good luck!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:08 AM

You know that Tampa is not on the Gulf of Mexico. You have to cross the bridges and get into Pinellas County to really be on the beach. Many hotels say they are on the water, but that can be the Hillsboro River, Tampa Bay, etc. If you want the big sandy beach, sunsets, etc. I suggest St. Pete Beach, Clearwater Beach, Siesta Key (south end of Sarasota). These are places that have lots of restaurants, para sailing, Broadway and pops shows in Tampa, Clearwater (rRuth Eckerd Hall) and Sarasota (Van Weizel Hall). Google.com these beaches for a look at what is available. I recommend Sheraton or Marriott on Sand Key/Clearwater Beach, Don Cesar or Trade Winds on St. Pete Beach, Holiday Inn on Lido Beach (Sarasota) and anything on Siesta Key. Have fun!