Search

Tampa/St Pete Area For Fresh Fish

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:16 AM
cd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tampa/St Pete Area For Fresh Fish

We will be in this area for nearly a month and will be doing a lot of our own cooking. Where are some places to buy the catch of the day? Also, a place to buy fresh fruit? A grocery store? We'll be at Treasure Island but plan on exploring a wide area so could go anywhere.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 08:54 AM
cd
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:23 AM

As you head off TI to the south (past the light at Sunset Beach), you'll cross the intracoastal. On your right is a store called Groupers. This is a good spot to buy fresh fish. If you continue on that road (Blind Pass) about a half-mile on your left, there is a Kash N'Karry. If you don't like either of those, then take a left at the light ahead and you'll be on your way to Pasadena. There is a Publix there (take a rt. past Blockbuster). In Florida, grocery stores have a good turnover on seafood so it tends to be fresh -- but always ask to take a wiff. Also, further inland in St. Pete, there's a good place to buy fresh seafood called Mid Peninsula Seafood. You'll find more variety there than at either of the grocery stores.

For restaurants, try Dockside Dave's in Madiera Beach just north of TI. Also, Caddy's on Sunset Beach.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 11:50 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Tandoori Girl!
Also, You said in an earlier post that where we are staying is one of your least favorites but good location. It is The Tahitian. It was hard finding something golf front for nearly a month Feb/Mar at a decent rate. I got this for 114.00 per night includ tax, it is an efficiency with full size fridge and stove and microwave, golf front with balcony. Please tell me we won't be disappointed.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 12:54 PM

cd, I think you'll be just fine at the Tahitian! Such a beautiful wide beach right there, and there's a beachside walkway that goes south from your hotel about a mile. Also, kite boarding, kite flying, and the drum circle are right outside your balcony! (Thankfully perhaps, the drum circle will be about 5 blocks south) The grocery store within walking distance of the Tahitian is called Topps...it's about 9 blocks south of you, and not one of my favorites. Best bet is to continue south into St. Pete Beach, and you'll see the little Kash N Karry TGirl mentioned, with a fresh deli and just a cleaner atmosphere. Also, I think I've already told you about the Floridian for cuban sandwiches, walkable for you (go east on 107th, which is the toll causeway leading off the island). There's a bar across the street called Mr. B's, they used to have great music. Also walkable is my favorite Moroccan restaurant, Karim's Bistro, inside (or you can sit outside) the Thunderbird Motel. Try the lamb tagine! And if you do make it to Mid Peninsula, be sure and ask for me! We (hubby Don & I) love to meet Fodorites, and you'll be my 5th and counting! (There's also a great produce stand across the street, at 5th Ave & 49th Street So.)

Oooh, one more awesome place, since you don't mind exploring: Find 22nd Ave north in St. Pete, go east to about 29th Street. There's a fabulous Italian market there called Mazarro's. Go hungry and with lots of $$$, order anything! They sell out of bread by early afternoon, so best to go before/for lunch.

Welcome!
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 12:59 PM

Full size fridge? That's great. Most of these TI hotels only have minis. I looked at their rooms once and ended up passing on it, but it wasn't gulf front. I recall it was spartan -- but sunny! And what do you care, you'll be at the beach, right? You'll pass a grocery store on your way to K&K. It's not nearly as nice but good for little trips. Check out the Shake Shack north of you on the beach side (bypass the one across the st. from you). If you buy a cheap umbrella in TI you can set up camp at the beach, leave it there when you head inside for lunch. This is a very wide beach. The Floridiana (I think that's what it's called) has good Cuban sandwiches. If you have roller blades there's a nice sidewalk right there along the Gulf.

I love TI. So will you. Promise.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:23 PM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Joan and TGirl! We have snow and ice right now so I am really ready to be down there! I will print out your suggestions and bring with me. It all sounds soooooo good. Do either of you know of a place called Navagator Grill(DeSoto Marina, Port Charlotte) where you can take boat tours and have their grouper sandwiches? Recommend? Also, can you recommend anyplace to rent sailboats? Also Joan, what is Mid-Peninsula? Thanks again.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:30 PM

cd, I'm not allowed to promote my biz on here, but it's just a small fish market/restaurant. Very casual. You can do a google search (don't use the dash - it's two separate words) and learn more....

Go to John's Pass (the north side of the first bridge north of your hotel) and walk around...I'm not sure if you can rent your own sailboat, or if you charter a ride, but we've gone on a few sunset cruises with out-of-town friends here. This is a good place to buy souvenirs too. Otherwise, use the phone and call Tierra Verde Marina...there's lots of sailboats there, perhaps they could help!
http://www.lakewaymarina.com/tierraverde/
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:40 PM
dln

We went to Mazarro's the last time we stayed with our friends in Pass-a-grille, and I assure you it's worth the trouble to find it! Next best thing to being in Italy with all the imported foods, and the prepared foods are mouthwatering. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable, too.

It's snowing here in the Midwest; I can't wait until spring break to see some Florida sunshine!

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 01:43 PM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Joan!
It's not like you advertised your business, I did ask and we will probably stop by. My husband is the chef in the family, we love fresh seafood and he loves to cook! Right now, in 4 inches of snow on our back patio, he has the grill pulled next to the sliding doors and is bbqing pork ribs with his homemade sauce. AND he's having fun!! Go fiqure.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 02:32 PM

Joan~I think you are being TOO modest...from what I read in St Pete Times and review from chowhound your place is great and not to be missed....I don't think you're tooting your own horn..hope to see you in Feb if I can get over there..Grouper and snapper are my favorites..
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 02:40 PM
cd
Original Poster

dln:
Another midwestiner here. Burrrrrr. Thanks for the heads up on Mazarros. We will be shopings there.
Help:
Maybe we'll run into you in Feb at Mid Peninsula