Search

Casual restaurants on the water . St Pete to Siesta Key

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 08:13 PM
cd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casual restaurants on the water . St Pete to Siesta Key

We will be staying on Treasure Island for three weeks and want to explore this part of Florida. Please recommend casual restaurants located in quaint areas or those with a water view.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:01 AM
cd
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:12 AM

Hi cd!
Let's see...here's some I like:

With a view:
Sea Critters (Pass a Grille)
Bridgeview (underneath the Corey Bridge linking St. Pete Beach to the mainland)
Woody's (75th Avenue - go all the way west)
Salt Rock Grill (expensive and not casual, but worth it! - sit inside near the window)Indian Rocks Beach
The Seahorse (Pass a Grille) - you'll like the architecture of this place.

No view but quaint:
Backfin Blue in Gulfport (order the corn chowder or the crabcake). Go on the first Friday of the month if possible, and do the neighborhood "art walk" before or after dinner. Talk about quaint!
Chattaway's - it's in a "rough" neighborhood - 22nd Avenue south and 4th Street in St. Pete, but it's been around forever, they have outdoor picnic tables and bathtub planters, great burgers and onion rings! You could combine lunch here with the Dali museum - a must-see.

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:24 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Joan! I've printed your list! They sound exactly like what we like. How about an oyster bar?
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Crabby Bill's used to do oyters on the half shell for some ridiculous price - I think it was $1.99 a dozen! Not crazy about their food, but at a price like that you'll def get FRESH oysters. They have a location right on the beach in St. Pete Beach, another one near "the mall" on Tyrone Blvd. Also, Billy's Moorings on Tierra Verde is another waterfront spot with decent food, and I believe they have oysters on the half. Also known for their stone crabs. Check out the bar on the top floor.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 07:58 AM
OliveOyl

Hi cd! What a nice long vacation you'll have! Would you want to sail when you get here? I see something out in Boca Ciega every weekend with a sign with phone number hanging from their lifelines...wish now I'd taken the number down. They usually get out with most if not all sails up too, not a "motor cruise". (I figured you might need a boat fix with yours sold, and this is a good place for it). Maybe someone else knows the name, or I'll pay attention next time we are out and can let you know. It's two masted, a ketch I believe.

If we are spending the night on ours we are most likely to go to Backfin Blue that Joan mentions. It is very casual and the little town is cute, especially fun as Joan says, when they are having the art walk.

I've passed Chattaways, have meant to but haven't tried it. What a cute looking place from the outside! A friend of ours here who grew up in St Pete says it's quite good. The neighborhood is borderline though, as Joan said, but I wouldn't OK in the daytime. We've liked the Sand Bar (Sandbar?) for lunch too, just off the Bayway and there's a marina there so you can sit and watch the boats trying to maneuver into slips in a current that will un-nerve the best of sailors.

Woodys food, well....It's a good place for wings though, and I like their fish spread as well. This is especially nice on a Sunday afternoon when "Tony" is there singing.

I'll have to try Sea Critters Joan...we get into a rut with Backfin Blue--it's so close to the marina so easy. We need to branch out. We've eaten at The Wharf too, near Sea Critters, but my stomach was pretty unhappy afterwards so we haven't been back. It may have been just one of those things, but...I don't think so. That's another place you can amuse yourself just watching the boats come in, and you don't have to eat...just go for a drink and sit outback overlooking the water.

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:31 AM
cd
Original Poster

Joan:
Crabby Bills it is for oysters! Wow, what a price! Thanks!
Olive Oyl:
I would love to have the phone number of the sailboat! Just yesterday I looked at the last set of pictures we took of "The Charla Dawne" with us, our kids and grandkids on board. Our 13yr old was just 4yrs old when she started sailing with us and to compare pictures of her, then and now, behind that wheel made me cry. We will definitely go to the Sandbar and watch the sailors match wits with the current and remember all the times that's happened to us! Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:41 AM

Check out the Hurricane on Pass-a-Grille.It is across the street from the beach and has a great rooftop view. Also, The Sandbar on Anna Maria Island, which is as on the beach as you can get.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 08:59 AM

I'm not sure how such officianados (joan and OO) passed by some of my faves but let me pass them on to you.

The Swigwam -- find Shells restaurant on SPB, which is ensconced in a hotel (Travel Lodge maybe?). Drive along the side into the very back, park and head twds the water. You'll find an old outdoor driftwood horseshoe bar, with TVs to watch the games, outdoor seats. You can order from Shells via the bar telly and they'll bring your food back to you.

Cappy's at Sunset Beach (s. end TI) must surely be one of the only places with an upperstory open air deck, lounge chairs on the beach, and indoor seating to boot. Their buffalo shrimp is good. Across the street from Cappy's is the Ka'Tiki. Non-bikers and the un-tattooed beware. Nothing here but spirits to drink.

Cross the bridge from TI heading into SPB and you'll find Groupers, a good place for, what else, grouper! Small and cozy.

Really THE best place for blackened grouper has to be Dockside Dave's in Madiera Beach, just north of John's Pass on the intracoastal. Also, good chowder, Key west conch style. The onion rings are tasty.

Not on the water, but there's a place in central St. Pete with good downhome seafood, fresh and tasty. Mid-peninsular Seafood.

Also in downtown St. Pete there are a few places on the water. Gosh, if only I could remember their names. One classy-looing place that hangs out into the bay at about 4th Avenue is very good, according to my hubbie. And there's an oyster bar on Central a couple blocks west of Beach Drive. I hear the oysters are good, don't know what the price is.

In Tampa? Take the Gandy from SP, take your first right (Mariner?) and you'll meander eventually to Jimmy Mac's next to the marina. Lots of atmosphere, hit-or-miss food. There is also a new restaurant down that way that is reviewed in today's SPTimes called RattleFish. I hear the crowds are already lining up.

Enjoy yourself. And excuse me while I bait my pole...
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 09:34 AM
OliveOyl

I'm all ears for new places. We really are in a rut so keep the names coming.

The pair that plays here at Oystercathers most nights, also plays at Jimmy Macs on the deck after they leave here. Osborne and Hendrix (or vice versa with the names), or better known to us as just Sam and Johnny. We've been in the day but keep threatening to go in the evening to hear them play, evidently different from the way they play here. Food is pretty marginal, I agree. Just heard about a new place...perhaps it was Rattle Fish, that is making waves.

If you get down to Anna Maria area cd, and it sounds as if you intend to, we always enjoy eating on the patio at the Sandbar, (different from the one I mentioned above). It is just off a lovely stretch of white white sand beach. Food isn't fabulous, but pretty good and what the food lacks, the scenery more than makes up for. The water changes color noticeably just south of Tampa Bay, and this area is no exception. There are any number of places around Sarasota/St Armands circle. Lots of people swear by Columbia--I'm not a big fan, but you might give it a try and decide for yourself. (There's another in St Petersburg and one in Ybor City, Tampa, but I doubt you'll be coming this far inland). Cafe Europa too in St Armands.

I'll try and find out the name of that sailboat cd. I've thought about doing it just from the standpoint of letting someone else sail and worry about the shoals while I enjoy the water and views! There is rarely a time we go out that we don't have dolphins come by the boat and this in the same area they are. Also, and I have trouble getting this out of my mind...where a man was killed after jumping from his dock by what they think was a tiger shark a few years ago. Unfortunately he jumped into a school of baitfish and that was that. That put a permanent end to any thoughts I've had of swimming from the boat in Boca Ciega Bay--no matter how hot it gets!

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Olive, just when I was beginning to forget about that poor man who jumped in the water at TWILIGHT into a school of BAITFISH! You had to remind me

Tandoori/CD, the place on Sunset is called Cadillac Jack's, not Cappy's, and the food is pretty good (made better by the Pina Coladas and the atmosphere). They have a live band on weekend afternoons, and that second story bar is very cool. Volleyball crowd, locals, and wet swimsuits are the way to go here!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:25 AM
cd
Original Poster

Spring1:
I've added Hurricane to my list. Thank you!
Tandoori Girl:
Tons of info! Dockside Dave's in Madiera Beach for chowder and Cappy's at Sunset Beach both sound right up our alley.
Olive Oyl:
We do intend on going to Anna Marie Island so thanks on the heads-up on the Sandbar. Awful about the death. We had high waves and strong winds to contend with at times on Lake Michigan but never death by shark. On hot days and if the lake was calm, we would drop sail, tie lines on the stern with float pillows on the other end and float till cool.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:27 AM
OliveOyl

Joan...you are right. He did EVERYTHING wrong! His wife still lives there I understand. I'm not sure I could.

Another thumbs up for Mid Peninsula! We get take-out most often--owners are super friendly (and that guy behind the counter so cute ).

What is that place with the gyros right on the beach just up from you Joan? Another where the location is the thing, as it is in so many of these spots. Makes weaknesses much easier to overlook. There were wet bathing suits, there was volleyball, but I don't recall an upper story deck.

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 10:55 AM
cd
Original Poster

Joan
Just saw your post. So it's Cadillac Jack's not Cappy's? Thanks! Hey guys, speaking of wet suits, we are going to Key West for a week after TI. AFTER I made our reservations at a recommended B&B I looked up the website and howled!!! It has a clothing optional sun deck! My husband LOVES me.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Now don't be selfish, cd. Share that website with us!

It's not Cappy's -- sorry, that's a good pizza place in Hyde Park -- and it's either Cadillac Jack's or Caddy's!!! You can't miss it as you will see if after you drive into Sunset Beach on the beach about 3 blocks up. Parking is immediately before you get to Caddy's.

Sorry to mess that up. My mind is slipping from to much mad seacow.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:21 AM

OO, you're thinking of Nick's Seabreeze. It's toast, dust, no more. Big bad house rising in its stead.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:26 AM
OliveOyl

Cd, are you at Atlantic Shores...and may I ask, will you?? lol

Now Key West I can name the boat for you...Floridays, docked at the Hyatt downtown. Great cruise, uncrowded and 60', another two mast-er. We've done the sunset cruise but they have several different options.

My very favorite restaurant is Blue Heaven. You begin to think you are getting into a bit of a dicey area here too if you walk, but it's ok...we did it at night and had our best meal there. Far superior to Louies Backyard both in food and service. It is not elegant to say the least...outside dining in a dirt patio under the stars and a huge oak tree. Resident kitties might take one of your chairs if you have a spare at your table. A jazz combo played the night we were there. Great memories!

TG...too bad...if you don't look quickly in TI, it'll be gone. That property was worth a fortune--can't imagine what the house must cost!

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:48 AM
cd
Original Poster

Tandoori Girl
Mad seacow? Good one!
Olive Oyl:
Nope! LOL, But, now, when we were on our boat with no one around, absolutely! Hey, thanks for the recommendtion on Floridays. I was looking at that for a sunset cruise. 2.5hrs, free beer or wine and chowder for 49.00pp. Is that the one you are refering to?
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 11:51 AM

OK, now you girls are just showing off! (while we "up north" suffer with 25 degrees and 10 inches of snow, so far today). Where were all these great suggestions when I was down there in November??? CD, we stayed on Anna Maria and just loved the Sandbar mentioned a few times above. Possibly the reason is that we got there just before sunset and we sat outside on the patio with our feet in the sand and margueritas in our hands, with a pretty good Jimmy Buffet wannabe on the mike.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 12:04 PM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks Maggi!
We too are up north and looking forward to warm weather, walking the beach, hanging out at marinas, good seafood and sailing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -