Search

Tampa area: casual Cuban restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 05:39 AM
cdt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tampa area: casual Cuban restaurants?

We're looking for recommendations for a moderately priced, good Cuban restaurant in the Tampa area - preferably nothing fancy.

We're staying in Bradenton Beach but will be driving into Tampa at least once for a spring training game.

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 07:34 AM

La Teresita. Order the ropa vieja with rice and maduros.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:10 PM
tmh

The Columbia in Ybor City is nice - I think that's the original restaurant. They also have one on Armand Circle south on Gulf Drive on Long Boat Key. Nicer setting and not as noisy but lower on ambiance.

We have a place in Bradenton (89th & Cortez) and hav ebeen to Ybor City a couple of times. The cigar making exhibit was nice. I believe Ybor is more of an evening place.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 01:23 PM

I would not recommend the Columbia. It is a wonderful old building, and even though tourists visit wearing all sorts of clothes, it is on the fancy side. The food is not up to my standards.

La Teresita in Tampa is close to the Yankees Legends Field. Check out their website: lateresita.com Although the beans have been a little on the thin side lately, it will probably be what you're looking for.

My favorite place for soup and sandwiches is La Ideal on Tampa Bay Boulevard. It is also close to Legends Field but open only for lunch.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:07 AM

The La Terrisita in Tampa was recently on the local ABC news for having numerous health code violations in the kitchen. I'm sure that happens at every restaurant to a degree, but it was pretty gross. The La Terrisita on 66th St. in Pinellas Park, on the Pinellas side of the bay, was not involved in the report and they have great, moderately priced, Cuban food.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:31 AM

I've stopped going to Le Teresita on 66th street in Pinellas because it's filthy. I've never been to the one in Tampa.

That said, I have to comment on the so-called "dirty dining" segments on local TV news. As a fellow restaurant owner, here's my view: they fail to point out that there are two categories of violations: major and minor. Minor is stuff like: food boxes stacked on the floor (because it was delivered moments ago and nobody's put it away yet), no weatherstripping on the back door, a hole in the ceiling. Major is a big deal: rodents, refrigeration not working, true problems. I could walk into ANY restaurant in America and do a show on MINOR violations. It's the MAJOR violations that should make diners stand up and take notice. These inspectors HAVE to find violations - or they wouldn't have a job. As Mclaught implies, you have to take these with a grain of salt...but you know what? Check the bathrooms. Bottom line (pun intended): if they fail to clean those, they definitely don't care about their kitchen! (Le Teresita)
There, glad I got that off my chest!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:41 AM

mclaught, I did not know about the health code violations for La Teresita. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm not surprised by this. It is a very large busy place, cheap prices, and not particularly clean inside. It's the atmosphere that everybody loves at La Teresita, sort of like being in another country, a much poorer Spanish-speaking country actually. Most of the Cuban restaurants have virtually identical menus.

If you don't want a place with so much atmosphere, but not as close to Legends Field, try La Fonda on MacDill, or Spain in downtown Tampa. Spain serves only tapas at dinner but their lunch time cafeteria Cuban is reasonably priced and very good.

If you prefer to be closer to Legends Field, there are many Cuban restaurants on Columbus Boulevard. The Lincoln is across the street from La Teresita. Also, Arco Iris is west of La Teresita on the same side of the street.