Talkeetna flightseeing

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talkeetna flightseeing

I am planning to take a flightseeing tour of Mt. McKinley, probably with Talkeetna Aero Services (http://www.talkeetnaaero.com/). Have any of you taken one of their tours? They have 3 choices, and I am trying to figure out which would provide the best views, or if it even makes a difference.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 09:44 AM

I have flown McKinley many times and used Talkeetna Aero the most. By far, my preference is their summit flight. Superior to the other "summit view" flights. A glacier landing is far superior via helicopter since it gets you on the ice. It would depend on your flying experience perhaps to consider the ski plane?? This is a snow landing, for me, not really all that exciting compared to the summit flights.

I have personally done all three.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 03:28 PM

I've taken 2 flightseeing trips and I believe I did the glacier landing one with Talkeetna Aero. I did the summit one with a different flight company. Both flights were using the toursaver 2 for 1 coupons. which made them a good deal. I enjoyed the glacier landing one more, maybe b/c it was the first one so the experience was extra fun. If you have a chance, sit in the lone seat at the very back b/c you will have a window on both sides. My sister and I both got a little airsick on the summit one and the people behind us were throwing up, but that might've been the weather causing turbulence that day.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:18 PM

I agree to sit on the rear bench seat. They wanted the lightest person back there and that was me. The other passengers smirked that I had to sit there but it was the best seat in the house. I could see out both sides and no one else could.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for the information!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Sorry but Lia018 is not likely correct on the company listings. IF they used a toursaver coupon for the summit flight then it HAD to be flown by Talkeetna Aero, since there is only ONE other company that does these and they never take or have participated in coupon offers.

They probably also did their glacier landing with Talkeetna Air Taxi, since they are the coupon vendor.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 05:25 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I can't tell you which one to take but am posting to strongly recommend that you take the tour. This is one of my favorite travel memories - ever! Whatever you do, don't back out or change your plans
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 11:18 AM

Budgetqueen is right in that I must've switched the companies. I did both flights several years ago, both with the toursaver coupons, but I am fuzzy as to which company with which flight. I recognize the website, so I'm sure I took one flight with Talkeetna Aero. Both companies were professional and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. For the summit flight, they assigned us seats based on weight and I don't remember there being a lone seat in the back. For the glacier landing one, they let us sit where we wanted and the plane had the one seat at the very back.