Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Talkeetna plane rides: Flight around Denali, or flight that lands on glacier? Which is better?

Talkeetna plane rides: Flight around Denali, or flight that lands on glacier? Which is better?

Jan 27th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

In Talkeetna, Alaska, I have to choose between a sightseeing plane ride that flies close to the mountain, or the one that lands on a glacier. To those who have done both, which is better, and why?
Jan 27th, 2009, 08:07 AM

I haven't done either, but I'd have to ask...

What is the environmental impact of landing on a glacier?
Jan 27th, 2009, 11:53 AM

My guess is that there is no environmental impact. Kenmore Air has been flying scientists from the U of Washington onto glaciers for decades.
Jan 27th, 2009, 12:30 PM

landing on the glacier would have no more environmental impact than th efllight itself. The Ruth Glacier is huge (and the surrounding scenery is spectacular).

I found a YouTube video of a Supercub landing on the glacier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb8VIzgK3dk

I have flown around Denali, but I think that landing on the glacier would be an even more memorable experience.
Jan 28th, 2009, 10:09 AM

We did a helicopter trip and landed on a glacier and then later did a flight around Denali--the flight around Denali remains one of the highlights of our travels and I highly recommend it. But, a lot depends on the weather. We lucked into a beautiful clear day, which the pilot said happens only rarely. We were able to see climbers ascending the mountain--so cool!