Talkeetna accommodations

Search

Talkeetna accommodations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talkeetna accommodations

Any recommendations in for B&Bs in either Talkeetna or Healy? Any preferences for one place over the other?

We'll be traveling from Wrangell-St. Elias and need to stop somewhere mid-way as well as somewhere near Denali. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:14 PM

We just did this last summer. Talkeetna is a funky little town that rreminds you of the TV show Northern Exposure in appearance. Having said that, the best accommodations are at the Talkeetna Lodge (about $200). We stayed in a cabin right next to downtown for around $150 per night. If we were to do it again, I would stay at the Princess McKinley Lodge for the half way mark as it is right off the highway and doesn't require that you take the Talkeetna spur road that was heavily under construction last summer and added an extra hour to the trip. The prices are just about the same.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:47 AM

I disagree- I would not stay at the McKinley lodge instead of Talkeetna- there is nothing there. (unless you get a deal like this past season of $99 rates??) I really like the Talkeetna Roadhouse- but only the upstairs rooms, shared baths. In Healy, I always stay at Touch of Wilderness, staying in both the shared and private bath rooms. The Talkeenta visitor center is an excellent source of accomdations.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 11:54 AM

I too like the Talkeetna Roadhouse. The rooms are what you would expect from an historic roadhouse, small and rudimentary but clean. The cafe part of the roadhouse is exceptional, its in the center of town, and the people who worked there last year were great.

For two small articles I wrote on it, take a look at http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/talkeetna.htm and http://www.roadtripamerica.com/eats/roadhouse.htm.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 12:13 PM

Two years ago, we stayed at Gigglewood, a very nice B&B in Willow, which is 28 miles south of Talkeetna.

Some Fodorites asked why we'd ever stay in Willow since it's not a town. However, we loved being on a private lake with swans and loons and about 4 miles in from the highway. The owner took us on a walk through the woods to see more swans and their signets.

We stayed in the Woodside suite, which really was an immaculate, large apartment with kitchen. We absolutely loved it, and it was still an easy trip to Talkeetna and Denali STATE Park where we found excellent hiking trails without the hassles that seem to be prevalent at the National Park Also went for dinner at Talkeetna Lodge, which was very good.

The website is: http://www.gigglewood.com/alaska_b&b_accommodations.htm
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:18 PM

I also like the Gigglewood Lakeside Inn. For accommodations right in Talkeetna, I like the cedar cabins at Susitna River Lodge
www.susitna-river-lodge.com