Search

Taking Pets to NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking Pets to NYC?

I have two dogs and I want to go to New York City. Is it real difficult to take dogs there? Are there any hotels that take pets?
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:27 AM
GoTravel

The Four Seasons, The Carlyle, The St. Regis, and The Pierre all take pets but you will pay $1500 a night for a room.

The hotels usually only extend this curtesy to their VIPs.

Are you going in by train? Driving? I think the airlines only allow two animals in first or coach and they must fit under the seat.

I'd suggest arriving in a limo

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:45 AM

There are several pet hotels (for pets only), also. I have never had occasion to use them, but my brother has had good experiences.

Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:57 AM

There are LOTS of hotels that take pets. The problem may be leaving them alone in the room. All the Affinia hotels appear to allow pets. Look here
http://www.affinia.com/pets/
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 10:21 AM

There are several hotels that take pets - but - you can't just leave them in the room all day - since who knows what they may destroy - or ruin - in their distress. Also - long-rerm barking wouldnt be appreciated.

So - you either need to take the pet with you everywhere (and most places - museums, stores, restaurants, public transit - will NOT allow them) or you have to put them in doggy day care - which is available but not inexpensive.

Also - be aware that we have very strict pooper scooper laws - and if the police don;t enforce them passers-by will.

New York is a great town to live in with dogs - but for a short vacation I would definitely leave them home - after all - why bring them here just to put them in daycare.

(And travel is another issue - your only real option is car - since trains won;t allow them and flying is not a safe option - except for one port-a-dog.)

Old Apr 19th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

I am driving and I have left dogs in hotel rooms alone and they are fine. Except one time I got a complant that they barked too much. I would probably only spend a night or two in New York, but boarding them is very expensive and I usally only do that if I am flying somewhere.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 12:02 PM

"they are fine. Except one time I got a complant that they barked too much."

So, they aren't fine. They are barking and bothering other guests because they are probably alone and afraid.

NYC is a very dog friendly place if you live there, but not as a visitor. Leave them at home.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:54 PM

If the dogs bark all day the hotel will not let you stay - or will demand you take them out with you.

That is fair neither to the other guests (you didn't rent the entire hotel you know) nor your poor frightened dogs.