Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Syracuse dining options - my opiniated comments...

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Owen O'Neill

Have seen a few inquiries here recently about my original hometown of Syracuse NY. My work has prompted me to be spending more time here recently and I've finally gotten my local restaurant experiences down on paper and updated. Posted this in the Chowhound forum as it was a thread of some interest there - it's far too long to post in Fodor's but for those who may be traveling through the area this summer it might be helpful. It's in the Tri-State forum at

http://www.chowhound.com/boards/tristate/tristate.html

Post is entitled "My opinionated comments on Syracuse dining". if it's not readily visible just do a CTRL F and enter Syracuse as the search word.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 03:32 PM
r-travels

"access forbidden"

Can't get into any sort of chowhound link at all, which I wanted to because my job takes me to Beautiful Syracuse from time to time. (no x in my e-ddress)

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:20 AM
Billy

Hi Owen,
Interesting thread. I checked out what you posted and there are some excellent suggestions there, however; I wonder if you have actually gone to these places recently. Yes, Gruen's is closed as is LaBamba - it was closed some time ago for health reasons! If you want steak, you might want to give Delmonico's a whirl or the Steakhouse in the back of PJ Dorsey's. Casa di Copani is a little tired (and if you found something unusal in your food I question why your companion couldn't taste it and only discovered it when they got home and studied the doggie bag?? Somthing tells me it wasn't what they thought it was)- next time try Dante's. Careful of some of the areas you discuss -I don't think I would suggest to visitors that they go to a place on South Ave near the corner of Colvin for dinner; kind of like sending someone to the meat packing in NYC district after dark! Next time you are visiting head over to Hanover Square, there are some new establishments you might want to check out - have fun!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Owen O'Neill

To r-travels - you may have to access it by going through the www.chowhound.com link and then to the message boards. If you're at work perhaps it's a blocked site?

Billy - I suggested that folks who were looking for John-John's BBQ cart could find it at South Ave. and Onondaga. It's a BBQ cart for take-out open only during daylight hours on a busy well lit corner. I lived in Syracuse for 40 years of my 46. I would NOT suggest to anyone that they get take-out at the Aquarius Caribbean restaurant on South Salina (even I feel uneasy getting out of my car on that corner) but the Jerk Hut location on South Ave is perfectly safe. It may not appear so to you but I know the South side of Syracuse and have never had a problem there (I know where not to go and have not suggested any of those questionable locations). I guess I failed to clarify the Casa de Copani remark - it was a friend who went there and found something questionable on her left-overs. She said it didn't taste great when she was eating it but it was so dark that she didn't see anything wrong at the time. I looked at Dante's menu but thought it was a bit pricey for Syracuse ($15.95 for a baked chicken breast?). Haven't tried the steak at P.J. Dorsey's but will look into it. I thought the steak at Delmonico's was awful. It had obviously been through a mechanical tenderizer and then marinated wiht somethig to make it more tender. Whatever that cut is it's certainly not a real Delmonico. Surprisingly enough, however, the side dish of spaghetti and red sauce that I had there was outstanding. I'd go back in a minute for spaghetti but found the steak to be just a notch above Ponderosa. Just my opinion but that's why we post here... right?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Owen O'Neill

Billy - I should have clarified better in the post. One resaon for the post was that some folks had posted in chowhound who had moved to Syracuse but wanted more info about dining options. I suppose it wouldn't make sense to steer a visitor to South Ave near Colvin Street but I stand by my contention that it's a safe area. I wouldn't necessarily want to live there but I certainly feel safe going there to get food. Many soul food restaurants (in nearly any city) are in less than upscale neighborhoods. I would guess that most folks who seek out such dining options know this goes with the territory. It has been awhile since I've eaten in some of these places but to the best of my knowledge ownership hasn't change so hopefully the food is still the same. Any place I recommend from personal experience is one I've eaten at within the past three years. By the way... has it possibly been awhile since you've visited the meat Packing District in NYC? There are a number of good restaurnats there and the area is increasingly busy at night with pedestrian traffic. I had some great mussels and frites last winter at Markt, a wildly popular Belgian style brasserie that has been open for several years in that area. NYC changed in many ways under the Guiliani administration (some good and some not so good) and many areas such as meat packing District that were very dicey in the past have begun to see major changes.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Billy

Hi Owen, yes I agree it IS opinions that make this interesting, I was just a little concernd that the people who read this for dining recommendations are travelers - NOT natives who would know when/when not to venture into a certain part of the city. I for one would hate to send a guest to the south side for dinner. Dante's is good - just don't try it on a holiday (too busy & limited menu) but maybe on your next visit? Thanks for posting!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Billy

Hi again, forgot to suggest the Arad Evans - very nice; If the menu seems pricey for dinner it is perfectly acceptable to eat in the adjoining bar for lighter fare. Craftsman Inn is also good.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Owen O'Neill

Your point is well taken Billy - thanks! I haven't tried the Arad Evans In but have heard good thigns about the food. Have eaten at the Craftsman and it was good - not great but good and reasonably priced. There is a new Italian place just up the road in Fayetteville where TJ's Big Boy was once located. Haven't tried it yet but the local reviewer (for better or worse) had a good reaction to it. It's owned by the same guys who own DaVinci's Pizza in Armory Square - my guess it that it will be good but inconsistent. My daughter worked at DaVinci's last summer - the pizza was great or just average all contingent on who was working that day and making the dough. It's my understanding that they now have a full time manager at DaVinci's and the pizza has become very consistent. I should have mentioned it because it's my second favorite (when it's good) locally behind Cosmo's.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Laura

Hi,
I went to chowhound but there were a lot of postings. I will find it eventually, but is there a way to search for a certain topic in chowhound?

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Owen O'Neill

If I recall correctly the search function of Chowhound is either not working or doesn't work correctly. The only way I know to search there is to do a CTRL F once the screen is open and then type Syracuse as the keyword. YOU may have to go through a number of pages. I'll see if I can find the original thread or the text file I wrote and I'll post it tonight on www.egullet.com in the North America/New York State section. I have been using egullet more often lately because it's a bit easier to navaigate and post than Chowhound. An update is unquestionably in order on light of comments and suggestions people have offered as well as some closings and changes that have occurred in the Syracuse market recently.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Laura

Thanks Owen,
I found the stuff in Chowhound - very interesting since we're going to Syracuse in August.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Jill

I enjoyed a nice dinner at Lemongrass across the street from the Armory. Very sophisticated Thai food. Pricing was fair relative to the quality.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 03:18 PM
Owen O'Neill

I'll be posting an update in Egullet.com tonight anyway... I've spent a lot more time in the 'Cuse over the past several months and have tried some new places in addition to noticing a few that have gone under. I'll agree with Jill that Lemongrass is nice but I think there's better Thai in Syracuse (but Lemongrass beats all the other places hands down for atmosphere).