Search

Swimming for Jan first week near Orlando

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swimming for Jan first week near Orlando

Hello,
My husband and I are spending new year's eve and a few days after that with my brother in Orlando. Since we live in MA, we really want the sun and warm water to play in. Here is what we thought:
31st Dec: whole day in Busch Gardens and night to see the fireworks. Return or stay back in Tampa BAy area
1st Jan: Some beach, maybe Caladesi Island State Park? or Cocoa beach or Port Canaveral. PLEASE SUGGESt which beach should we go, where will the water be warm enough for us to play and swim? Or is it too cold and late for that??
Jan 2nd: Suggest some half day things to do around Orlando? We have visited Seaworld last time and think spening around 100$$ for disney is too much. Maybe any Disney walks? Universal walks?
Also, u can suggest any other park for the new year's eve if its better than Busch Gardens?
Thanks-Preeya
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:01 AM

I happen to be partial to the Tampa Bay/St. Pete Beach area for romping in the surf. The Atlantic side is definately colder and not swimable in Jan. On the Gulf side, you may be the only people in the water and my guess is that it will be to cold for that.

For 1/2 day in Orlando: How about Downtown Disney? Lots of pubs and shops and my favorite: rent a couple of those small boats and tour yourself around the lake and through the canals (not expensive).

Have fun!
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:42 AM

The weather in any of the cities in Florida will likely be on the chilly side, and it will generally be warmer the further south you go. December and January are our two coldest months. Right now temperatures in Florida range from 55 in Tampa and Orlando, 64 in Naples and West Palm Beach, 68 in MIami, and 61 in Key West. The water temperatures are very cold but water tends to keep the temperatures up on land. As for swimming, I wouldn't count on it unless you're a polar bear.

Honestly, you never know with FL weather. There could be a warm front in town and it will be in the 80's. A week ago I had to turn on my AC. Last night I had to turn on my heater.

Busch Gardens is fun. It's not much cheaper than Disney, if at all. Universal and SeaWorld also. If you go to Caladesi you will take in the mid and late afternoon sun on the west coast so that's a good game plan. I'd stay overnight and head out in the AM around 10 or 11.

Good luck with the weather.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 02:53 PM

It's cold now in Orlando. I live just west of Orlando, in Clermont. It was 47 degrees on my way home today. But since you are acclimated to much colder sustained weather, you might find the Gulf beaches south of Tampa enjoyable (unless you arrive during another cold snap). The farther south, the better -- Tandoori_Girl, do you think the Sarasota area beaches might do? Jan 1 typically might be in the low 70's, or might be in the low 40's, during the day. But that's just an average..
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 03:54 PM

sludick, I don't go into the Gulf until May at the earliest. And I'm happiest in July. It's a puzzle to me how the snowbirds can tolerate it but if it's not windy the sun is sooo refreshing in the winter, even for us.

Preeya, it sounds like you're only going to be in FL for a few days so I'd go to the closest beach. The differences temperature-wise will be negligible, but you should check the TV report to be sure (the weather ahead of a front will be warmer). Caladesi is not too far, very nice and the boat ride is pretty through the mangroves. Bring a picnic lunch, there's nothing on the island.

Then go back to MA and brag a little about the FL weather. Gosh knows we can use some good PR.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your responses! I have decided that I cannot go swimming now! BUt I can still get a look at a beautiful sunset on water, so maybe I'm just going to do that.
TandooriGirl, I can agree with you about needing PR for this area!! It is beautiful here and still...well the pilgrims liked it
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 07:10 AM

preeya, FL was "discovered" by the Spanish at least 200 years before them pilgrims touched foot on Jamestown or Plymouth Rock, whichever your druther. It wasn't until Disney discovered us that we took on the present aura of superficiality. Although there's always been an element of fantasy and kookiness lurking here.

A sunset on a Florida Gulf coast beach is a truly beautiful thing, not to be missed. Enjoy.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 10:01 AM
GoTravel

preeya, the swimming pools at Disney are heated if I'm not mistaken. You may luck out and get some nice mid 70s weather which would make an excellent pool day.

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 04:49 PM

I was just thinking...I didn't grow up in Florida, I grew up in the SF Bay area of California. Lived in SW Virginia for 5 years before moving to Florida. In the Virginia time, we went to Florida several times around Christmas. We usually really enjoyed the beach then (just before Christmas). Mostly, we just laid out on the beach; but still, it seemed so warm (at mid-60's). So, preeya, bring your swimsuits and beach towels, you just might want to use them. But do plan on the Gulf side if the weather seems promising. Merry Christmas to you, have a great time and please be careful on the trip here and back if you are driving. Best wishes from paradise.
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 01:41 AM

It will certainly be warmer than Massachusetts, but you will not find warm water anywhere near Tampa/Orlando - even in Miami at this time of year the water is not very warm. As mentioned above, you would have to hit some weather weirdness to even find it warm enough for what most people consider sit-on-the-beach weather in bathing suit. Sure, it could happen, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:58 PM

So, preeya, did you make it to the beach? The weather was pretty good, and I thought maybe you were out there sunnin' in the sand --