Swamp tour beginning of January?

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swamp tour beginning of January?

Hello,
Is a swamp tour Jan 2nd recommended..or is the swamp life hibernating? Many thanks!
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 09:00 AM
jem

I'm not an authority on swamp life, but when we were in New Orleans in April a few years ago, we took a swamp tour and saw one moving alligator. The guide told us that it was still a little cold for those guys. So, I suspect it'll be way too cold for them in January.

Old Nov 16th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where are you talking about? Actually in Florida, crossing "Alligator Alley" during the summer and warm weather you rarely see alligators, other than maybe their eyes above the water as they glide along. But in the winter, they haul themselves out on the banks to bask in the sun. Sounds like a great time to visit the Everglades for example.
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 12:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swamps tours run all year round. I would recommend Honey Island. They have a website you can take a look it before you get here. *{J}*
Old Nov 16th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many thanks to all. We will check out the Honey sight for New Orleans.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 05:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stop in the Bluecat Canoe web page who was featured in Canoe and Kayak Magazine for information on Swamp Tours in New Orleans area.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alligators do in fact hibernate during cold weather. Their throats swell shut, inhibiting them from swallowing, during cold weather so they sleep through it. Once the weather warms up, the swelling in their throats disappears and they come out of hibernation. (Hey, I learned that on a swamp tour!)

Seriously, I doubt you will see any alligators on a swamp tour in January around New Orleans - unless they have a snap of really warm weather while you are there. When I went at the end of March this year the area had just had a few days of somewhat warm weather, and we were lucky to see a few small alligators about. But the big guys were still sleeping.

I would still recommend taking a swamp tour, however. Especially if you get a good guide. There is more to see and learn in the swamp than alligators. The right tour guide can make it a very interesting tour! Be prepared: New Orleans and surrounding environs can get very cold during the winter. (The jet stream comes down that low) And out on the swamp, it seems colder. Plus, at least on our tour, the boat didn't have a heater and it was quite chilly.