Search

Beaches in Naples?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 10:37 AM
May
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaches in Naples?

What is the most beautiful beach in and around Naples for sunbathing? Looking for quiet, relaxation, and not much activity. Mother-in-law lives in Naples so we have residency (if that is an issue at all).

Thanks very much!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 01:03 PM
dln

Clam Pass, where the Registry Hotel is located, is just lovely! Park in the lot, take the tram through the mangroves (free), and you're at the beach. There's a snack bar, restrooms, and water equipment rentals. What we like best about Clam Pass is that there's an inlet so you can walk a bit into the groves for shade, quiet, and privacy, if you don't want to suntan on the open beach with everyone else. Another nice beach is Tiger Tail in Marco Island.

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 02:04 PM

Clam Pass is indeed pretty with a lot of trees in the background, but it also probably one of the busiest beaches in the area.

Although the beach isn't so wide you can go anywhere along the beach in Naples itself and the further south you go, the more quiet and secluded it becomes. There are many beach access points. The whole beach is public -- no private beaches at all. But if you have a resident beach sticker on your car you park free at all the access points. Otherwise take plenty of quarters for the meters.

I like the area south of the pier the best -- in front of the huge estates, but nobody ever comes out from those to sunbathe. Other than a few walkers (I may be one of them) you pretty much have the place to yourself. There are public restrooms right at the pier.

There is also a big city beach area and park at Lowdermilk Park just north of The Beach Club with restrooms and even a snack bar, but it is also very busy. You can also go to the snackbar by the pool at the Beach Club -- open to anyone, and a nice shady spot to get a hamburger right on the beach.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 09:53 AM
May
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you. Would it be worth our while to go to Vanderbilt beach? We plan to have a meal at the Ritz during our stay, would the beach also be considered a worthy destination? Thank you again!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:02 AM

OK, now I must admit I'm really not a beach person. All the beaches here have the same view -- out into the normally very calm Gulf of Mexico. They all have the same sand, pretty much white sand. Here and there it is wider than at other spots. So what makes a particular beach a "worthy destination"? I'm not sure unless it is the amenities along the beach -- places to relax, have a drink, or whatever. If that is the case, Vanderbilt Beach does offer several nice stopping places. If you're just looking for a place to lie on the beach and sun and relax, I don't think there's any particular reason to do Vanderbilt. It is going to be one of the more crowded beaches.
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:08 AM
dln

Yes, May, the beach up at Vanderbilt will do you nicely. Lucky you to be dining at the Ritz! The grounds of the hotel are so beautiful; you'll have to take a stroll after your lunch. Sit on one of the rockers on the big veranda and relax. If you stroll south of the Ritz 10-15 minutes, the beach is very quiet and peaceful. You'll enjoy it. As far as Patrick's comments about beaches being busy, we've found that most people like to plunk themselves down right at the entry. Walk a bit further north or south (on any of the beaches mentioned) and you lose the crowds.

Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:19 AM
May
Original Poster

Wonderful, thank you both. Since we have many days in your fair city I think we'll stop at a few of them. Thank you again!
Old Nov 19th, 2003, 10:21 AM

I should also clarify the word "busy". Compared to beaches in many parts of the world where people lay out toe to toe, the busiest in Naples just seems like a handful of people.