surprise trip to NYC in July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've made arrangements for a short (5 day) trip to NYC for our anniversary in July. It will be a surprise for DH.

Neither of us has been there before. We're staying at the Embassy Suites on North End Ave. We have tickets for "Movin Out." I know we want to see the "usual" -- Ellis Island & the SOL, ground zero, empire state building, etc. Anyone have any recommendations for other things we have to see/do?

What should we be packing for the trip? I'm assuming that we dress up for the show -- other than that what would be appropriate for most resturants, etc? Since I'm surprising DH and he won't have a "heads up" on packing, I have to make sure we have what we'll need for the trip -- although there IS shopping there if needed, right?

Any hints, "must dos" or anything else would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Search this forum for ideas -- NYC is probably the most popular topic here.

If you like museums, you have tons of options.

If you like shopping . . . Broadway . . . dining . . . nightlife . . . you'll find plenty of info on this forum.

One big tip: Relax. You can't and won't see it all. New York is a city of neighborhoods, a walking city. Enjoy!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:28 AM

Dress for the HEAT! July is very hot in NYC...we are already 92 and tomorrow will be 94. You do not have to dress up for shows, but not sloppy either, but some do, not me. Khakis and shirts for men and what ever you would wear for high temps. Also prepare for scattered t storms late afternoon..so bring an umberella.

Other than that, the fun of NYC is just walking around and discovering. I love downtown...
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 08:29 AM

You don't have to "dress up" for a show, or for most restaurants. Neat, casual (no shorts of jeans) would be fine just about anywhere (and people do where jeans to shows).

Your hotel is downtown by the river, closer to ellis isl ferry/SOL, and WTC site. It's a few blocks to the nearest subway.

5 days is a decent amount of time. If you like museums, you should make pick a few to see. Propbably weekdays would be better than weekends for most of them. If you go to the Met Museum or Natural history (or any other msueum along the park), you should take a stroll through central park.

While downtown, you should visit chinatown/little italy. On weekends, there are always some festivals and/or streetfairs all over town.

You should plan on eating in different neighborhoods (greenwich village, upper west side, soho, e. village, etc.). Greenwich village is a great place to stroll around, and people watch (especially washington sq park). The e. village is loaded with a huge variety of restaurants, many very reasonable and all kinds of food. Soho is a big shopping area, everything from street markets to high end designer boutiques.

Read fodors suggets NYC itiniraries to get some ideas.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 09:10 AM

For specific restauant recos give us your budget and favorite cuisines.

For the middle of the summer you can go almost any place as long as you're presentable (khakis and a nice polo) rather than slobby (we do see a ton of folks who seem to think it's appropriate to go anywhere in torn off jean shorts, washed out/misshapen tee shirts and filthy sneakers).

For the museums I suggest you go to the web sites in advance and decide which departments you want to see - otherwise some of them - the Met esp - can be overwhelming.

Most important - on the days when temps allow - walk as much as posslble - to really see the life of the city.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. As far as specifics on restaurants, we tend to like American, Italian & Mexican versus French. We're open to trying just about anything. I've read that there are lots of places that reservations are a MUST, so I'd like to try to decide on at least one or two places to eat and get reservations lined up and then leave the rest of the eating to chance -- we'll eat wherever we end up when we're hungry.

We'll be getting there on Saturday morning and will be leaving the following Wednesday night. Any tips on what we should see when? We definitely want to:
See the empire state building, see the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island, walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, visit the Museum of Natural History (if we get to the Met or MOMA, ok, but they aren't on the top of our list). We'd also like to do one of the sightseeing cruises.

We have tickets to see Movin Out on Tuesday night so we'd like to eat somewhere near the theatre on that evening.

I've read about the NYC City Pass -- is it worth it to get that? What exactly does it get you into? We already have passes for the Empire State Building and the Museum of Natural History (part of the package I booked). If I should get the NYC Pass, can I get them ahead of time online somewhere?

I really appreciate all of the info I've found on this BB already -- what a knowledgable bunch!!! Thanks again!!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

moving back to the top
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:44 AM

A museum not to miss in Downtown is the museum of the american indian : both building and collections are fine.
As you are near the ferry for Ellis Island an option for a "full day occupation" could be : early Ferry to Ellis(and you can skip the statue of liberty), then back to Manhattan and walk to the Lower East Side tenement museum and so you will have the "history" with you...: arrival in Ellis Island and first "home" in the tenement.
For Lunch, Katz's delicatessen...
And after to relax the end of afternoon in Soho.
For Sunday, the Flea market at Columbus(Columbus and 76th.) is often interesting and you can have walks and brunch in upper west side(café des artistes is an excellent option).Then a
subway ride to Harlem, near Morris Jumel mansion : there is a "jazz session" in an appartment at Edgecombe avenue : informations at
www.parlorentertainment.com
It's a real taste of real jazz in an
authentic atmosphere.The neighbourouh is sure and there is some interesting buidings around there.
Don't forget a walk to Brooklyn, brooklyn heights and bridge.
An option is to have a lunch at the bridge cafe(water street) and the visit to southstreet seaport before or after Brooklyn.
Erik.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 09:48 AM

For your pre-theater meal, you might consider Vice Versa; it's kind of modern Italian. Or you could try Becco (another Italian). I like both, and these are usually my pre-theater choices when I want Italian.

Since you're staying way downtown, you might consider making reservations at a nice restaurant in Tribeca or SoHo for at least one meal, perhaps Mercer Kitchen in the Mercer Hotel (but beware of NYC restaurant prices). Dos Caminos is actually a pretty good Mexican restaurant; there are a few of them, and I think one is downtown in Soho. Happily, restaurant reservations are usually easier in the summer, and most places aren't so dressy.

I prefer the Empire State Bldg. view at night myself. Enjoy yourself.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Dos Caminos SoHo is on the corner of Houston and West Broadway. I sat outside last weekend for dinner and it was great. (The original location is on Park Avenue South.)

If you try Dos Caminos, do not miss the made-at-your-table guacamole. But be aware, if you ask for it "hot," it will be HOT.

In Tribeca, for probably the best seafood in New York, don't miss Fresh on Reade Street.

Another option in Tribeca is Pace (an excellent new Italian restaurant on Hudson).
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 10:31 AM

I would highly recommend taking a harbour cruise. This was one of my favourite activities in NYC. Check out this website for various cruise options. You can have anything from a dinner and dance cruise to just a basic no frills cruise around the island. The views are spectacular.

http://www.thingstodo-newyork.com/

At the right of your screen click on "popular things to do" and you will see the options are endless!

Have a great time!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 10:38 AM

The circle line is always a well spent afternoon in NYC as is walking along the river on the West Side from the 40's to Chelsea Piers and downtown.

July in NYC is HOT! so be sure to bring shorts and t's. If you encounter good weather while you're here I would also suggest spending an afternoon in Central Park.

Dressing up for the theatre is, sadly, becoming a thing of the past. I would say no shorts or jeans and the same goes for most "nice" restaurants.

http://everythingtravel.blogspot.com/
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 10:55 AM

Before the show, you could try John's Pizzeria on W44th Street - good pizza and great atmosphere (it in an old church with cool murals.) Movin' Out is a decent show (for that show, you could definitely get by with jeans and a polo shirt - it's a younger, more informal crowd than other shows.

Good call on that Embassy Suites - it's a very quiet, out of the way location but you can still walk to Broadway in 5-10 minutes. Huge rooms/suites for NYC at a reasonable rate, decent gym and a movie theater next door. (Good bargain shopping at Century 21 next to the Milennium hotel) - any clothes, etc you forget to pack can be purchased there at really, really good prices (and further down the street the best hot pastrami sandwich I've ever had at Essex (Kosher) Deli.)

For hot dogs, go to Gray's Papaya or Papaya King (there's a Grays on 8th street and one on 37th or 39 st.) Best $2.75 meal going.

The USS Intrepid is fun and interesting (worth a few hours,) and if you go to the Museum of Natural History, you can walk to the end of 79th Street until you hit the Hudson and have drinks and a pretty good steak sandwich at the 79th street Boat Basin (it's almost like eating in a castle grotto, but with views of the river and NJ. Fair prices too.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:05 AM

For a great dinner in Tribeca, I recommend the Harrison.

And sorry to hijack the post, but Gekko, have you recently been to Pace? I love the beanstalk group places, but had two subpar experiences there (in terms of both service and food quality) there in their first six months, and have been reluctant to return until I hear reports of improvement. If you have had good experiences there, maybe it is time to revisit... Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 01:12 PM

My last visit to Pace was in March, group of five, and both the food & the service were excellent. My entire party thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

But with so many new restaurants to try, I haven't been back.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Thanks Gekko! Was very disappointed when I was last there for dinner in January, so it sounds like maybe things have improved. Will have to add it back to the list...
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Be sure to go to Brandy Library before and/or after your dinner at Pace. Try the Lagavulin 12 year (not 16).

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 03:16 PM

When you get there pick up a copy of Time Out New York or other local paper and look for street festivals or other events for the days you'll be there. NYC on weekends in the summer can be very pleasant and less crowded.

For a "cheap" cruise, consider the Staten Island Ferry. It's quick, but still has some great views. If you can do a longer one, I'd recommend it, but the Staten Island Ferry can be an ok fallback.

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Beware of the post from above:

"Good call on that Embassy Suites - it's a very quiet, out of the way location but you can still walk to Broadway in 5-10 minutes."

If you're thinking the above poster meant you can walk to the Broadway theatres in five minutes -- think again!!! It's more like an hour -- and doubt strongly that you would be walking it.
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 01:02 PM

Hello! For your first trip (or anytime!) I would advise a little walking tour of 5th Avenue, uptown. Here you can see the most famous branch of the NY Public Library (at 42nd and 5th), along with Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral, all of the fancy shops (i.e. Tiffany and Saks), and the entrance to Central Park.

If you'd like, you can begin at the Empire State Building, which is on 5th Avenue between 33rd and 34th. From there, you can take a leisurely walk uptown, ending at Central Park (59th Street). Of course, you can continue on through the park, or you could walk west along 59th street and the park, over towards Columbus Circle. If you're feeling ambitious/energetic, you can continue up a few blocks to Lincoln Center, which is beautiful (62nd-65th, between Columbus and Amsterdam).

Enjoy your trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -