Surf Lessons Waikiki

Aug 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Surf Lessons Waikiki

I am going to be in Hawaii at the end of the month and am thinking of taking a surfing lesson in Waikiki. Is this the kind of thing that can be arranged day of? As in, I just walk up to a place and sign up? Or do I need to book something ahead of time.

Also, are there places that give adult lessons....I have seen a couple sites that show pictures of kids on their website, and if I was doing a group lesson, I would prefer to not share it with kids.
Aug 7th, 2008, 04:46 PM

I'm sure you can just go down to the beach. I don't know how they were arranged but I saw plenty of adult beginners, two people at a time usually, going out for a surf lesson with one teacher. Just head to the beach where they rent surf boards.
Aug 7th, 2008, 07:03 PM

We were there a few years ago and stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and there were guys on the beach with surfboards. I don't think it's anything that you have to do in advance you will probably find plenty of options.
Aug 8th, 2008, 12:18 AM

There are several beach boy stands in front of the "Duke" statue. All charge about the same rates. Just walk up and ask their price for a lesson. Choose by price, available teachers, if it will be just you and the instructor, or how friendly they are. To compare fairly ask how much of the time is instruction and how much is free surfing.

You can rent boards by the hour if you have a good time and want to keep on surfing after the lesson.

Aug 8th, 2008, 07:11 AM
mms

When we were there in March, Prime Time Sports had two locations right on Waikiki. One was near the Hale Koa and the other further down closer to the main area. We did not surf with them, but we saw quite a few people do lessons with them and they seemed to enjoy it. We did rent other beach "toys" from them each day and they were great to deal with. You could just walk up or reserve, whichever you prefer. I am pretty sure they have a website, so you could check that out for details.
Aug 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM

We just returned, and there weren't many surfers out because the water was pretty calm. Hopefully, you'll have better luck at the end of the month.
Aug 18th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Ditto, just returned, not great surf by local standards, but we beginnners loved it. We arranged first lesson in advance through hotel, but it would not have been necessary, unless you're picky about what time. There are stands all along Waikiki. Our instructor required a one on one ratio with any kids in the water, unless it was a kid along with their parent. On Maui, this was not the case. You can get a private lesson if you want to make sure you are not grouped with kids. And, I don't blame you, because if you are in a group with kids, I think the instructor would focus alot on the kids.
Aug 18th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, it is good to know I don't need to book ahead. One less thing to worry about.

I am actually glad the waves won't be to big though, it is probably best for learning.
Sep 1st, 2008, 09:08 PM

The top Oahu surf instructor is Hans Hederman. I believe he has an office right in Waikiki.