SuperShuttle - are they always so rude?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have made many reservations on-line: flights, hotels, shuttles. Always, always called to confirm on the phone.

Just called SuperShuttle 800 number - first thing I hear "your reservation is confirmed the moment you booked it".

I gave him the number anyway, he read all the info, once again: this was confirmed the moment you booked it on-line.

Of course I said only "thank you" to this guy, but I find this rude. Nobody ever said anything like this before. None of the hotels, airlines or shuttles.

I used Bay Shuttle before, loved the service, but they no longer go to my airport
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
P_M

That is very odd. I've used SuperShuttle many times including my trip to SF last October. I'm sorry to hear they were so rude to you, but I don't think this is typical of SuperShuttle.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM

Interesting Faina as the last time I used SuperShuttle and called to confirm the woman I talked to was a bit snippy. The driver however was quite pleasant. Guess they don't want customers calling and confirming. Did you phone to confirm the pickup P_M?
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:13 PM

Is this an airline? Never heard of them...
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:44 PM

Last time I took the SS to Washington Dulles, the driver was running more than an hour late. When a passenger asked what time he thought we'd get to the airport, the driver screamed at her that if she was worried about time, she should take a taxi. This was not the first time i encountered a SS driver out of Dulles with anger or timing problems. I don't use them anymore
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM

IN NYC SuperShuttles are notorious for being late and/or missing pick ups completely. they typically take people for several hotels and then drive around in city traffic for an hour or longer dropping people off before the last are deposited at their hotel.

Much better choices are:

Taxi or car service direct to the hotel for 2 or more people

For 1 person with only a carry-on consider public transit -
or take the bus that stops at one Central location (port Authority of Grand Central) and then either walk or grab a cab from there. Much faster and more reliable.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:37 AM

My mother (Phoenix) used SuperShuttle for years, but had a similar complaint about trying to confirm her reservations. Also, several times in the last few years, the van was late. The last time, she called 15-20 minutes after it was supposed to arrive and was told that according to their records, she was on the van and headed to the airport. That was the last time she used SuperShuttle.

On the other hand, I've had very good experiences with SuperShuttle's private car service, Execucar (again, when I go to Phoenix; I use it to the airport). It is more expensive for one person, but for several people the difference isn't so great.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 06:22 AM
P_M

LoveItaly, I didn't call to confirm because they called me the day before my ride. It was a robo-call but at least I knew I was scheduled for pick-up.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:59 AM

Thanks P_M. I understand that the SuperShuttle vans are privately owned by each driver. At least that is what one driver told me. I have always been pleased with the driver and service each time I have used them but would want to have confirmation regarding the pick up. A robo-call would be sufficient. Have a good weekend!
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Just got that robo-call, at noon, for tomorrow's 6 am pick-up.

How the h@ll could I know they call to remind, there was nothing on the website, and that guy I called didn't say anything!

I gave 2 numbers on the website: home and cell. They call on the cell phone, and gave a local number to call if there is a problem.

NICE! Now I expect a problem I always worry about everything.

Jumbo: no, not airline. This is a shuttle company (mini-van) to take me to the airport.

NY traveler: I wish there was public transport to the airport! On Sunday the local train (BART) starts from 8, add ~1/2 hour on the shuttle bus to the airport... my flight is at 9.

In the end, it will all work out for us, a taxi is a back-up plan. I would think of something else if I knew Bay Shuttle is not going to OAK
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 11:58 AM

We started using the ExecCar Service through Super Shuttle depending on the length of our trip. In some cases, it's cheaper than parking our car at a lot and we loke the fact that it's just our pick up and not the regular van service with several pick ups. No problem using that side of the house thankfully
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 05:24 AM

Only take Supershuttle if you don't care when you arrive at your destination.

My experience (6 Dec):

Booking was for 6 December #160

I pre-booked for my landing time and pre-paid.
I specifically asked about the time to my destination and I was told it depends on traffic.

1. I landed and went to the supershuttle office to meet my shuttle.
2. I waited 30 minutes after which I complained at the office (the lady told me the bus had to come from the parking bay) and then to the supervisor (who told me the bus was on its way to the airport). I had never been informed of a wait -time.
3. My shuttle finally arrived 45 minutes late
4. The driver had two pre-bookings. Me (to Bradenton) and one other (to Sarasota). He was then informed by your office that he needed to collect another traveller who needed to go to downtown Tampa.
5. This is NOT in the same direction and contravenes their policy. We finally left the airport after an hour.
6. The driver took a wrong turning on his way downtown and proceeded over the bridge to St Petersburg. He then informed us that he had to turn back to drop the guest in downtown Tampa first. I refused to be taken back (as St Petersburg is half way to Bradenton) and demanded to be let out of the shuttle to proceed by taxi. The driver refused to let me out of the taxi, ignored my very vocal complaints and drove me back to Tampa AGAINST MY WILL.
7. After taking me an hour OUT OF MY WAY and several more wrong turns, asking me for directions (when he had the correct address but could not find it in his GPS) and a stop for the driver to use the bathroom, we arrived 3 hours later at my 45-minute destination.

I sent them a complaint and asked for my money back, but I didn't even get a reply.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 06:07 AM

I use Super Shuttle all the time with the same set of drivers that we consider them our friends. Nothing but great service with this bunch.

We did have one driver that we thought was not driving safely. We complained and he was fired.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 08:50 AM

This is again, and OLD thread, but Super Shuttle in Denver is pretty iffy. Takes a LONG time to get where you're going if they decide on the route.
If I'm first in the van, I think I get to my place first, and then they can work back for the others.
AND they waited and waited for "more" to show up.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny how our expectations for decent customer service were much higher just 4 years ago.
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 12:22 PM

Sprucef, you should have joined the forums sooner and done some homework. You would have known not to use them unless you are flexable with your travel times.