Sunday gospel mass in Harlem

Old Jun 19th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunday gospel mass in Harlem

We are tourist but would avoid a group gospel tour and prefer going independently.
Which church would you suggest in Harlem ? Have read that the smaller ones are better and less crowded of tourists. Where can I find their schedule ? 1st morning or 2nd morning service ?
Old Jun 19th, 2016, 07:17 PM

Can you be more specific? What are you looking for? Catholic? Baptist? Evangelical ?
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 05:09 AM

I imagine that Fabio wants to attend a service that includes a gospel choir, so probably Baptist. Will try to find some names for you. Please dress respectfully and leave a donation when you go.
Old Jun 20th, 2016, 11:09 AM

group gospel tours? sorta like being a fly on the wall in a black church?
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 02:31 AM
Original Poster

Yes, correct for the gospel choir.
We were part of a group gospel tour many years ago but this time we would go by ourselves. Thanks for the dress advice.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 05:03 AM

You couldn't have come to a better resource on the Internet for information on Black Gospel Choir Churches in Harlem and their service times. However such experts can only be found in the Fodorite Lounge which is closed to new members on Fodors

I guess you will have to rely on your years of gospel choir group membership experience on this one. When I'm on the road and need a Church, I go to Sermon Audio com and punch in the Zip Code. It's an excellent resource when you want to Worship, not seek entertainment
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 06:40 AM

Note that there are varying opinions on how voyeuristic (zoo-like) it is for tourists to go to a predominantly black church to hear the gospel music that is an integral part of the worship service. Most tourists are not there to worship, but see the service as exotic entertainment. Sadly, IMO, some of these churches have come to a point where this is a regular way to accomplish fundraising, but which may detract from the worship, particularly depending on the ratio of tourists to worshipers (some services are now overrun by tour buses), and how significantly the tourists interrupt the service by entering, leaving, talking, etc. Worship is worship, not a concert (of which there are plenty featuring gospel). Just because tourists are permitted does not mean it is right or respectful. Please reconsider.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 08:33 AM

I would recommend a tour, although I don't know of a specific one. A reputable tour operator will have negotiated terms with the church in advance and so the presence of tourists will come as no surprise and congregants can even be quite welcoming. Some churches see this as an opportunity to create converts, or simply fulfill their ministry.

Tourists on their own are, well, on their own. I have Irish friends who attended a service on their own and felt very conspicuous doing so; no one was rude to them, but they felt rude themselves and in the end wished they hadn't done it.
Old Jun 21st, 2016, 04:53 PM

I've been in the shoes of Newbe's friends and I've attended services that I haven't regretted. I think it really comes down to the
atmosphere of the church and one's mood/attitude that day. (I think the difference was in the two examples above: the one I felt good about, I went for the service first, music second. The one at which I felt like a "bad" tourist- I went because I was curious, a friend had forcefully invited me, and I knew I had few beliefs in common with that particular religion). I'd rather go to a concert in general.

Maybe peruse through a link like this?

https://www.eventbrite.com/d/ny--new-york/gospel/
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 12:49 PM

The Abyssinian Baptist Church is legendary. They welcome tourists to their 11:30 service. You must remain for the entire service, about 2.5 hours in length.No fee but donation is proper. See their website for information about where to enter, dress code and other details. Time of service may vary in summer.

Will try to find other churches for you when I return home in a few days. You might look in Brooklyn as churches may be less inundated with visitors.
Old Jun 22nd, 2016, 05:16 PM

Be aware that at these churches people definitely dress up for church. Attire is NOT casual, most women wear pretty dresses/suits and hats and the majority of men will wear suits. You cannot go in dressed down as you would for a tourist attraction - you are attending a church service (even if not your specific religion).
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

thanks a lot to all of you ! full respect for the service, the local people and appropriate dress is a must for me.
Old Jun 28th, 2016, 10:29 PM

Years ago I went to a Baptist church in Harlem. I wanted to go as a worshiper in the first place. I sat in the congregation and was made to feel very welcome, with people sharing their Bible with me. However, tour buses would stop, the whole group would file in on to a balcony, 'observe' for 15 minutes, and file out again. I watched in shame as tourists in short pants and flimsy tops entered the balcony, plopped down backpacks, whispered, giggled, leaned over to take photos, and wandered out again - all during the sermon.

For this reason I would suggest going to the earlier service, arrive early to find a place in the congregation, plan to stay for the whole service, dress appropriately, leave a donation. In other words - just like you would go to church in your home town!
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 03:28 AM

Agree with that completely. But perhaps look into going in Brooklyn where there might be fewer tourists. Brooklyn Tabernacle is very famous for their singing.
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 04:04 AM

One more thing: make time to chat to people afterwards. It is the best part!
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 08:14 AM

"! full respect for the service, the local people"

If that were true, you would not even be considering this idea!

Of course, any church might generously welcome a sincere worshipper. But that is usually not the case, or the visitor wouldn't be going out of his/her way to find a specific gospel service, instead of the nearest house of worship.

It saddens me that some churches are so desperate for funds that they are forced to do this to keep their building in repair.
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 08:22 AM

I think this is an unnecessarily harsh response, and also ignores one of the primary tenets of many ministries, which is to reach out to people with the gospel. Missionary churches want the opportunity to minister to people outside the congregation. It is not just about building repairs.

Honestly, I wonder how much you know about these churches that you would say they do not welcome visitors.
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 06:46 PM

I am sure the OP did not want to start an argument here, but let me just share this: when I travel, I often go to church. Last summer, on our first Sunday in Paris, we went to a service in the Notre Dame. We are not Roman Catholic and do not understand much French. Still it was wonderful to sit in that beautiful old church and pray in our own way. The magnificent organ and the sun through the stained-glass are lovely memories. In the same way I will go to church in New York - and I will not look for a church that is exactly similar to the one at home.

I actually do agree with Samba above -- to allow 'gospel tours' to file in and out during a service must have financial benefit for a church. But I had the impression that church members were used to it and just got on with doing their own thing.
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 08:23 PM

Of course tours bring financial benefit. Who said they didn't?

Do you agree with Samba that the OP's premise is disrespectful?

My point is that in addition to being of financial benefit, they may be seen as being of spiritual benefit, to the congregation and to the visitors.

Anyone who sees missionary churches as wishing to close their doors to newcomers doesn't know a bean about them.
Old Jun 29th, 2016, 11:46 PM

You are right NewbE, I did not answer carefully enough. Going to a church to experience a different worship style or music does not indicate disrespect in itself, and true churches (missionary or other) will never close their doors to visitors.

That was the point I wanted to make with my little story about going to Notre Dame. In European churches worshippers and tourists freely mingle, the church gathers much-needed funding, and few fingers are pointed in judgement.

I assume a challenge of the churches on the 'gospel tour list' will be to continue doing what is precious to them, while also accommodating bus-loads of strangers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -