Search

sun studio question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sun studio question

How much time would we need to tour this and Graceland? How long does it take to get from one to the other? thanks so much!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

sorry, didn't realise I had sent this question on another post.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

but no replies on the other post....so am sending it again.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:57 PM

kimmos, touring Graceland is really "on your own". You are not forced to leave the property until you are ready. There are scheduled departures by bus to Graceland. You get off and can take the audio tour (suggested), but are free to "roam" the grounds and take any of the next buses that depart. If you want to see everything on the grounds, I think you should allow yourself at least 2 hours. And that is just on the Graceland mansion property. If you want to see his planes and his warehouse of vehicles/motorcycles, then add another 1-2 hours.

I haven't done Sun Studios, but really, they cannot be that big.

We enjoyed eating at Priscilla's "Elvis Presley's Memphis" restaurant. We even ordered the fried pickles. A real experience!
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 05:33 AM

Sun Studios is small (one room, really) and they have a tour. I can't imagine that it takes more than an hour. There is (or was) a restaurant attached where you can get some Elvis favorites.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the feedback....looks like we should be able to buy tickets for both places for the one day. Sarge56 when you say "scheduled departures" I gather you mean from Memphis which I understand to be an hour away?
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Graceland is about 20 minutes from downtown Memphis and Sun Studios is near downtown. At least that is what I remember from living there in the early 1990's
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 05:37 PM

Sun Studio is basically the same as it was way back when. It's true the recording studio is one room but there are other rooms in the building that display articles from the early Elvis period. You will get the story of how Elvis become discovered. The tour will end in the recording studio itself where the tour guide will let you do photo ops at the mike that Elvis, Johnny Cash, etc sang into.
There is a soda fountain in the building that looks similiar to how such a facility looked in the 50's & makes a great photo op as does the outside of the building.

The tour will takes about 1 to 2 hours & is very informative and interesting.

The Graceland tour is by tour guide. You are not allowed to wander around the inside of the house on your own, however as others have mentioned a person can hang around outside as long as the grounds are open. Sage56 provided good info in his message.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Roy2..thanks.

kimmos..what I meant by "scheduled departures" is that you buy the tickets and board the buses for Graceland across the street from Graceland. (and some nice gift shops there, too, as well as ice cream shop, etc).

We were not "forced" to stay on guided tour when we visited Graceland. We rented audio cassettes and were provided a script, too, as one of our party was hearing-impaired. We WERE allowed to linger as long as we wanted in any one room, Roy. So, not sure if they are consistent. We happened to be there just after New Year's a few years ago. So, the Christmas decorations were still up (including a tree in the living room) and they were preparing for Elvis' birthday. (Perhaps they've changed the tour since we were there, if they did not let you linger.) In any case, you are allowed to "linger" in the outbuildings where many of his costumes/awards, etc are displayed. It IS a really cool attraction.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

thanks again everyone.....I am really so excited now!!
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 11:12 PM

Hi kimmos. Let us know what you thought about Memphis. We stopped over in Memphis for 4 days on a trip to Orlando and were very surprised. We really enjoyed Memphis, of course the BBQ was excellent, being fans of Elvis also helped, the folks we met were very friendly, and the history contained in the Civil Rights Museum of an era that changed America for the better was excellent. Memphis is a pretty clean community - just keep off the dark streets at night like you would at any other city in the world.