Search

summer04 -- more questions.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:46 AM
arb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
summer04 -- more questions.

Our original plan was to spend 2 nights and 1 full day in Pigeon Forge. It was mainly a place to stop and relax after driving almost 13 hours from Iowa. Wasn't really planning on taking in the town. The Old Mill caught our eye though.

After doing more digging, I think we may be going the end of April instead of May. Weather.com shows April to be somewhat drier and than May. There is a Red Wing Rally going on in Pigeon Forge the days we are looking at. Do you think this will have a large impact on PF traffic? If so, your suggestion for the Riverhouse at the Park in Gatlinburg sounds great. I checked out thier website and it looks nice and the rates are really good too. They had positive comments on Tripadvisor as well.

After seeing the Smoky Mts, we plan to spend 1 night in Cherokee. Just a stop over before taking a drive the next day along 276 and the Blue Ridge Parkway into Asheville for 4 days. Chimney Rock and Biltmore are also in the plan. The bloom schedule at Biltmore is another reason for picking April over May.

Thoughts, suggestions?? Thank You!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:07 PM

Maybe the reason you aren't getting any responses is because no one is any longer interested in someone's plans for last summer, so no one is even clicking this one open to read it.

You might also do better re-posting with a title like "Pigeon Forge to Asheville Questions".

This post also seems to relate to a previous post. You would be wise to add future comments or added questions to your original post, rather than start a new one.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 06:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't bother spending the night in Cherokee as Asheville is only an hour or so down the road.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:49 PM

To Patrick:
Gee, this is the first time I've ever been referred to as "someone's plans for last summer" (smile)!

To arb:
The rally was listed as a gold wing rally, but mentioned Country Inns. I would call them and see how many people it brings in. Even if traffic is bad, there is a road a block off the main parkway that runs parallel with it that will get you from one end to the other quicker.
If you've never been to the Smokies before, do some research on Pigeon and Gatlinburg to see which appeals to you for a brief stay. Pigeon Forge has a lot of commercial things to do, whereas, Gatlinburg is a cute little town with a lot of shops and restaurants on the main parkway. This is a place you will probably either love or not. Personally, I love it, and not because I don't travel much. We usually do Caribbean, Hawaii, or Mexico as a main trip, and Gatlinburg as a 3-4 day short trip.
Another reason I like Gatlinburg is that it is easy to walk around downtown. You need to drive more in Pigeon Forge. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 07:54 PM

LOL, I had to read this twice to 'get it'..summer'04, clever name ;D