Summer sister trip ideas?

Old Jun 10th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer sister trip ideas?

My sister and I would like to take a four day trip somewhere the end of July/beginning of August to commemorate what would have been our father's 100th birthday. We don't have many opportunities to get together, as we are both pretty busy. We are both mid-sixties, quite active, enjoy food and wine, walking. Not interested in bar scenes, crowded beach resorts.

We both live on the west coast (Washington and California) and want to meet in a place that would offer some cultural attractions, possibly some hiking, and should be within a reasonable distance from an easily accessed airport.

Places we have already been or not interested include: Vancouver, Washington DC, Las Vegas, NYC. San Francisco, Los Angeles,

I know this is short notice, but anyone have a recommendation or two?
Old Jun 10th, 2016, 04:49 PM

Portland would be my choice.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 12:00 PM

Maybe Albuquerque. Plenty to do there I know but I am not familiar with the city. Could stay there or train to Santa Fe. Great walking, restaurants, shops. Sis and I stayed at Inn of Governors couple of years ago. Was a good price then. Nice place and affordable for us .Liked the location, pool area. Wonderful museums, churches.,etc.If memory serves, Santa Fe is called The City Different. How true.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 01:27 PM

First thing that came to mind was Chicago. Dining, the arts, architecture tours, shopping etc. Then I read that you wanted some hiking. How about Sun Valley, ID?
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

I love Chicago - had considered it, but I do think we're looking for a little more outdoor activity/hiking or biking.

Have nixed New Mexico - only because mid summer is when it's most likely to rain.

We have settled on flying in to Denver and driving a rental car to Steamboat Springs. I know it's a long drive, but we have a lot to catch up on, so that's not a problem. Hopefully it's not going to be rainy in Colorado ...
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 02:22 PM

Have fun on your trip! I'll be doing a sister trip of my own this summer and we'll visit San Francisco.
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 02:24 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
Portland and the Columbia Gorge spring immediately to mind. With only four days you can pack in a lot - hiking (the Gorge, Mount Hood, Mount Adams wilderness) and lots of cool sights to see - waterfalls, vista points... Wineries and craft brewing all over the place, great food options in Portland and Hood River, the quirky Maryhill museum and Stonehenge replica an hour east of Hood River, and you've touched all the bases. Plus Portland airport is minutes from the edge of the Gorge. Accommodation is plentiful and not very expensive, no sales tax in Oregon,

Google "Oneonta Gorge" and see what you think.

http://www.mcmenamins.com/Edgefield
http://traveloregon.com/cities-regio...ood-the-gorge/
http://hoodriverfruitloop.com/
http://www.maryhillmuseum.org/
Old Jun 11th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gardyloo. That looks like a trip my husband and I might like - my sister has been there with her family a lot of times, and wants to try something new to both of us.

Finecheapbox - I live about 75 miles from SF, so we get up to the city a few times a year. You will have a great time - just be sure to bring warm clothes for the possibility of summer fog! The shops in SF sell a TON of sweatshirts to the tourists who think it will be "summer" in July and August.