Search

Colorado or New Mexico, late May?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado or New Mexico, late May?

Hi,

My husband and I are just beginning to plan for a vacation in mid to late May, probably one week.

We would like to do some light hiking with beautiful scenery; have plentiful casual, delicious but healthy eating options; do a little wandering around an area with some interesting shops and museums; and be based in just one or two places from which we can walk or do day trips, rather than a night or two here and there.

We're starting out thinking about somewhere in CO, where neither of us have ever been; Santa Fe NM area, where we'd each been separately but for work and only had a couple days to explore (I did get to Bandolier, which I loved); or elsewhere in NM.

Any recommendations, preferences, help, welcome!! Oh, and we currently live in Philadelphia PA area, and spent many years living in New England, so are looking to get away from East Coast (just in case anyone was thinking of counter-suggesting in that area).

Thanks,
Laura
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:08 AM

Just from a weather perspective, I'd recommend New Mexico over most of Colorado in May. In the higher elevations of Colorado, snow will most likely cover hiking trails (we call it "mud season"), the most scenic passes will still be closed, some amenities won't be open until Memorial Day. The Santa Fe/Taos area will be just right then, not too hot, not too crowded. So much to do as well - that would be my choice!
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:49 AM

I would also choose Santa Fe.

Southwest Colorado might be a good choice (we were there last Memorial Day weekend), but I can't help you with shops or museums there. Hopefully DebitNM will be along soon; she's an expert on that area.

Lee Ann
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies...

Tekwriter, is what you said about Colorado true even tho' we're not talking strenuous hikes up mountain peaks...we're more looking at just a few hours, on easy to at most moderate trail. I did a little reading this morning and someone had said that Boulder has many beautiful day hikes one could do in May - do you agree with that?

But if we stay with your and Lee Ann's recommendation of Santa Fe, I'd love to hear your recommendations of light hiking and fun things to do in that area (I'll search, too, in case you've already posted plenty on this topic). While we'll enjoy the plaza for an afternoon, we're not the types to spend a week going back there again and again to shop.

I do recall finding my way to a wonderful farmers' market during my couple days there some years back, I could google that but if you have any info like whether they're open in May, I'll take it!

I did just look at a few inns in Santa Fe that someone had recommended, and sadly, they're already booked for our week, the week of May 17th - I'm sure we'll find something, but if you have any recommendations, preferably in the $150 range, that would be great too.

Thanks again...
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Boulder does have a lot of nice day hikes, Technically Boulder is in the foothills and not the mountains which means it is lower, warmer, and should be a little dryer. As you move further into the mountains (and higher) it will be cooler and wetter at that time of year. But it is hard to forecast since the weather is more changeable during that period. Santa Fe at that time of year would be a little more summer like. Odds favor good weather but that does not mean it cannot rain and even snow a bit -- though unlikely.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM

I wrote this up awhile back; it may prove useful:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34895115

Also, this was a good thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34926390

It can be windy at that time of year, but temperature wise, it will be pretty nice.

Santa Fe, Taos, Durango and even Albuquerque [yes, Albuquerque!] would work for you.

If you are wanting to any of those, Albuquerque would be your choice of airports.

While I lived for several years in ABQ area, I now live about midway between Durango and Telluride.

That time of May will be pretty quiet [as mentioned, things start hopping Memorial Day weekend]. Mesa Verde NP is wonderful at that time of year. Durango would work well and still be reasonably priced.

A great place to stay is Apple Orchard Inn, just north of Durango. It would allow you to spend time [pretty easily] in Ouray, Mesa Verde and get to see some specatular scenery in early bloom.

Hope this gives you some idea.

For museums, ABQ and SF will have the most. Hikes and nature will be found in all.

Will there be mud? Most likely, and some snow too but it isn't hard to find walkable hiking areas. [Tent Rocks is a favorite at that time of year. Mesa Verde NP has glorious ones, too.]

Deb