Search

New Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mexico

My husband and I are planning a trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico in 2007. What would be the best time of year to go, what is there to do and how long should we plan on being there? Thanks.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 06:42 AM

If I were doing it, I would go at Fiesta time, early September (exact dates from various tourist web sites). It is an even that the locals population (Spanish, Indian, Mexican, Anglo) share with the rest of us, but it is very much their thing. Food stalls all over the Plaza, entertainment galore, the burning of Zozobra. All fun and fascinating.

The weather is great at that time of year, with temperatures that are ideal for touring the surrounding area.

Book early, within walking distance of the Plaza, because parking fills up rapidly.
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:31 AM

Where are you coming from and how much time will you be spending in NM? If you are coming from a distance and have time, I would suggest planning to see some other towns besides Santa Fe. 7 - 10 days is really ideal if you can swing it. If you are coming from lower altitude and will want to hike, you will need a day or 2 to get used to the altitude here.

I would try to get to spend time in Santa Fe, Taos, ABQ and maybe even go up to SW Colorado/Durango to see Mesa Verde. Depending on your likes, you may want to go over to Bandalier or Los Alamos.

There are many "markets" {Spanish, Indain} in Santa Fe which are fun too.

The summer and fall are great for outdoor activities -- hinking, biking, rafting to name a few. The winter if you want winter outdoor activities like skiing, [either crosscountry or downhill] snowshoeing etc.

Do you plan to visit pueblos? They are not to be missed, to learn about the ancestors of the land.

How about the hot air balloon fiesta in ABQ that happens in early October -- a sight to see 700 + balloons aloft over the land.

It sounds like you are in the early stages of planning, so there is lots of things you need to refine. Use the DESTINATION link at the top of this page and check out what Fodors has to say about ABQ, Santa Fe and Taos. They do a great job of overviewing the areas.

Also, use the search box at the top to this screen and type in each city name {along with Durang} and see previous posts and read them to get familiar with what we have to offer in NM and SW Colorado. And lastly, using the drop down menu, click on NM.

When you have some more of an idea, or specific questions come back and post...and we will be happy to answer. There are many folks on here who know and love NM and are always happy to help.

Hope THIS helps...
Debi
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:35 AM

Try these website for ideas:

www.newmexico.org and

www.turquoisetrail.org

and one last thing...I didn't suggest spring here because it is usually considered the least favorable season with lots of wind and dust blowing. It can be lovely, but it is also hit and miss more often.

Debi
Old Sep 3rd, 2006, 01:21 PM

What are your interests?

Lee Ann