Summer family vacation in New England

Mar 19th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Summer family vacation in New England

Hi there -
I'm looking for a good spot to vacation this summer for a large group - age range from toddlers to mid-60s. We've done the beach in summers past so now we're thinking to branch out a bit into New England - Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine - for something different this year. We'd like a house, close to towns for dining, shopping, etc, and yet someplace that will provide plenty of outdoor recreational options.
I know nothing about this area (being from VA and currently living in NJ) so I'm hoping for some recommendations of towns to start looking in.

Thanks in advance for all help, advice, suggestions, etc.

K
Mar 20th, 2007, 03:42 AM

Jackson New Hampshire in the cezntre of the White mountains.Great place close to shopping outlets.Paul
Mar 20th, 2007, 03:54 AM

Kris1 -

You can't go wrong with either the Lakes Region in NH or the White Mountains. Hiking, water sports, shopping,etc. If you go to the NH tourism website, they list the towns by region. VRBO has houses available just about everywhere you would want to go. I like Burlington VT also. On Lake Champlain, it has plenty of good restaurants and a quaint pedestrian friendly downtown. In Maine, Sebago Lake is a fairly hopping area. The large lakes further north like Moosehead and Umbagog are much quieter areas with not much action around.

Have a great trip.

Sharon
Mar 20th, 2007, 06:52 AM

I'd vote for cottages on a quiet section of Lake Winnipesaukee, NH's largest lake. Make sure to get one with it's own little sandy beach for the toddlers as opposed to a cottage with a dock. The lake is almost in the mountains so all the mountain activities are close. You might choose something in the Wolfeboro area to be closer to popular Storyland in Glenn NH for an easy day trip. There are outlets in N Woncway to the north, Tilton to the south. There are two summer theaters, one in Meredith and the other in Tamworth. Check to see if they have matinees and/or childrens programs. If you get really stuck on a rainy day, Concord is about an hour south - Christa McAulifee Planetarium, NH History Museum, Shaker Village (actually in Canterbury), etc. Downtown Concord is a nice shopping area with independent stores, restaurants, etc. For kids in the lake W there is also Funspot and the Weirs. That would be a long drive from Wolfeboro but not bad if you chose the Moultonboro area. Also, from Wolfeboro, Portland Maine is also only about an hour. Maine and Vermont are also great. For convenience, Manchester NH airport is about 1 1/2 hours if you're flying. Depending on where you are in NJ, Lake W is a long day's drive.
Mar 20th, 2007, 07:01 AM

Check out the townhouses at the Mt. Washington resort in Bretton Woods NH. Very pretty area - a little further to shopping and Storyland but very nice. Lincoln NH is also a good choice as is Stowe Vt.
Mar 20th, 2007, 07:04 AM

I assume you are more interested in the mountains as opposed to the seashore? New England has lots of both. The White Mountains of NH are the most rugged and scenic, with unlimited hiking opportunities at all levels. There's lots of shopping and dining options at both ends of the wild and undeveloped Kancamangus highway - Lincoln on the east, North Conway on the west. Jackson , Bethlehem and Sugar Hill are a few of the nicer towns.
Vermont has a different feel than New Hampshire - more agricultural, and a little less touristed. There are also great hiking and biking opportunities here. Woodstock, Manchester and Waitsfield are nice options.
Except for the outlet malls in North Conway NH, Tilton NH, and Mancheter Vt, you're not going to find much serious shopping other than pricey, cutesy shops in Woodstock and such.
Maine also has lots and lots of rural, mountainous countryside, but it's further driving, and much of it is very back country.