Search

Seattle help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 11:59 AM
sistahlou

Seattle help

Hey everyone. Mamalou is going on a Holland cruise out of and returning to Seattle in July. She asked me to look into hotels and things to do for three nights upon her return from Alaska. So any suggestions to what a retiree without a car should look into....excursions to outer islands, hotels, neighborhoods, the flavour of Seattle in 3 nights in July. Thanks every and anyone!

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aquarium and Pike Market are both downtown. The ferries all leave from downtown if a ferry ride over to Olympic or an island is of interest. I am sure there are day trips down to Mt. Ranier from a central downtown location. If Mamalou is a baseball fan, the Mariners stadium is nearby downtown. I recently stayed at the Rennaisance downtown and it was very nice. Just N of downtown is a Green Lake area that has a Residence Inn and Silver Cloud that are reasonably priced very nice hotels. Across the street is a marina with several restaurants that is a pleasant area.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 01:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My favorite is the Mayflower Park Hotel, a classy old place, right in the center of downtown. There's a nice bar and restaurant downstairs off the elegant lobby.

She might like to do a city bus tour with Greyliner company? Or even Ride the Duck amphibious tour? Definitely take time to walk down and visit the Pike Place Market.

The poster above (gentle correction) is talking "Lake Union" (not Green Lake). I think that area is too far from downtown proper if you don't have a car.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 01:17 PM

The main attractions are the Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square (home of the often overlooked Klondike National Park), our new Public Library, and our new and wonderful Olympic Sculpture Park.

The ferry to Bainbridge Island offers great views of the Seattle skyline, and, on a clear day, the Olympics, the Cascades, Mt. Rainier, and Mt. Baker. Cafe Nola, a short walk from the island terminal, is a great place for lunch or brunch.

The Argosy cruise that goes through the locks offers a great way to see some established Seattle neighborhoods and get the flavor of our boating culture.

Jazz Alley and the Triple Door are our premier downtown music venues.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 03:25 PM

One more time, Mount Rainier National Park is closed until further notice, according to their web site. There was something in the paper recently about some roads opening in April or May, with no details.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 03:28 PM

I would not include Mt Rainier or St Helen (even if they were open) for a 3 day trip, and for a person without a car.

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 03:48 PM

You said nights, but if she is looking for day trips...

My mother enjoyed this tour with me very much.
http://www.undergroundtour.com/

I'm going to take this tour this summer -
http://www.discoverhouseboating.com/

Taking the ferry to Bainbridge for lunch is a great idea -http://www.seattletravel.com/bainbridge-island-seattle.html

A day trip to Victoria would be delightful. Afternoon tea at the Empress is legendary. Butchart Gardens are amazing. It appears that she would have to add on the trip to BG to the base trip price -
http://www.graylineseattle.com/sight...roduct_id/1238

If she were going in the spring, the tulips and daffodils at LaConner are a taste of Holland -
http://www.clippervacations.com/skagit_tulip_festival

Have her watch Sleepless in Seattle and then find these places from the movie -
http://movieplaces.tv/aspx/search.as...+Street+Market

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Odds are near 100% that her cruise will have stopped in Victoria (mandatory "Jones Act" Canada stop) so no need to repeat that.

Pike Market, Olympic Sculpture Park, Argosy Locks/Lake Union cruise, International District (esp. Uwajimaya Village), retail therapy, Central Library, Pioneer Square/Klondike center, Blake Island/Tillicum Village tour/salmon bake, a couple of neighborhood commercial strolling areas (Fremont, Wallingford) - plenty to fill 3 days.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM

Duh!
Thanks, gardy!

Tell her to be sure to go to Butchart Gardens!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:28 AM

One excursion that is nearby downtown and can be done easily on Metro bus:

Take the #10 up to Capitol Hill, stay on until the end of the line on 15th Ave East and go to Volunteer park. There is a wonderful, free admission, victorian plant conversatory there, also the Asian branch of the Seattle Art Museum. It's a beautiful old park with views of the city.

After the park walk 4 blocks back down 15th Ave E and you are in an area with all kinds of restaurants: Jamjuree thai, Jalisco mexican, Olympia pizza, Coastal Kitchen, North Hill Bakery, etc. The #10 runs right by to catch back downtown.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 08:09 PM

can anyone offer further comment on the Argosy Locks/Lake Union cruise?

thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 10:24 AM

Take the cruise if you can fit it in. Heck, take the boat trip out to Blake Island/Tillicum Village. We've lived in Seattle for 47 years now, and we still like to play tourist and revisit some of these places.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:52 PM
sistahlou

Thanks to everyone for all the great suggestions!

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:56 PM

I just took the argosy locks/lake union tour last week when we were there for spring break. The first 10 minutes is a bus ride to Lake Union and then about a 2 hour boat ride. I enjoyed it - got to see the house from Sleepless in Seattle. A large part of the tour goes through an industrial area though and it takes a while to get through the locks.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:57 PM

I just took the argosy locks/lake union tour last week when we were there for spring break. The first 10 minutes is a bus ride to Lake Union and then about a 2 hour boat ride. I enjoyed it - got to see the house from Sleepless in Seattle. A large part of the tour goes through an industrial area though and it takes a while to get through the locks. I personally preferred taking the ferry boat to Bainbridge and back. But both are nice.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Thanks, Kath.
I think we'll pass on the Argosy/locks tour. It might be more fun for my teens to rent a boat and paddle around Lake Union ourselves, and it won't take as long.

Has anyone tried that?

I also definitely want to take a ferry ride to either Bainbridge Island or Alki beach.

But not sure which one to do....

Sorry to glom on to your questions, sistahlou!

thanks,
dina
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM
sistahlou

glom away!!! what does that mean?!?!

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM

well, i'm pretty sure "glom" is not a real word... and i it is i'm spelling it wrong, i'm sure.

anyways, i didn't mean to sort of hijack your thread. I have similar questions, though, so i just hopped on.

thanks.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Glom is certainly a word (grab, attach to) and I think the Lake Union/locks tour is interesting for a picture of Seattle's working maritime economy, not just pretty pictures. But different strokes...

If you happen to be in town for the 4th of July, the Lake Union/Locks fireworks cruise (anchors right under the Lake Union show) is amazing, and excellent value.

There is no ferry to Alki, there's a freeway and 4-lane road. The Bainbridge ferry is a very fine ride, however.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Posted that and realized the Elliott Bay water taxi might be regarded as an Alki ferry, which it isn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -