Suggstons for a good St.Louis, MO, hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming July, I will be going to the US and plan to meet with friends whom I have not seen in more than 30 years in St.Louis. There will be 4 of us "girls", all over 50. We want a place near a nice area, near shopping malls, with good restaurants, etc.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Downtown, I like the Hyatt Regency Union Station, which is part of the old train station and is also a mall. There are several restaurants and a movie theater on the property. It's a few blocks from the Arch and waterfront area. There's also a nice Hampton Inn across the street.

July 19-July 22 is a huge conference in St. Louis with about 15,000 attendees. so be aware if your travel dates fall around that time. Most downtown St. Louis hotels will be booked.
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 03:59 PM

If shopping ranks highest on your list, I'd suggest staying around the posh Galleria Mall area. It's a really nice area but it tends to be expensive -- what's your budget?
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM

What about the Chase? The Central West End has some fun shopping and restaurants, and the hotel has some restaurants and bars that would be great for hanging out. And you would be close to other shopping too. But...not sure the neighborhood is the safest. Any input from locals?
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 07:50 PM

CWE is perfectly safe
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Spunki, we would rather be on the moderate side.
One of my friends suggested we stay at the Mills, near St.Charles. How is that?
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 04:35 AM

Are you renting a car? This will be the biggest factor in figuring out where to stay.

I will echo MikeT: The CWE is perfectly safe.

I would suggest staying in Clayton. Close to restaurants and the Galleria mall, as well as Forest Park (History Museum, St. Louis Art Museum, St. Louis Zoo are all in the Park) Check out betterbidding.com I think several people have recently received decent deals through priceline. You will probably have to bid on two rooms to sleep four people.

I think staying by the Mills (I can't even think where there is a hotel there) is the worst possible idea. Almost literally in the middle of nowhere.

Also, St. Louis in July is hot, humid and most unpleasant weather-wise.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Liz5959,

Yes, I do know the area, I used to live in Edwardsville, Illinois back in the 70's...ANd I was then married to a St.Louis'Cardinals fan - during the summer, that stadium is one of the hottest, warmest, infernal things on earth, I guarantee!

I won't have a car, but my friends do (two live in Missouri and one in Edwardsville, IL, they will be driving to St.Louis).

I will send them the suggestions,
thanks everybody!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:22 AM
MaureenB

You know that St. Louis has a brand new Cardinals' ball field, and it probably won't be the hot airless bowl that Busch Stadium was. It's built like the old brick ballparks and just opened. If you like baseball, this would be a good time to see the Cardinals.

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 06:23 AM
MaureenB

P.S. I, too, suggest the Clayton area. It is upscale, has shopping, restaurants, and is relatively central to other St. Louis attractions.

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:00 AM

I'm glad that you know what to expect, weather-wise. I really would never suggest a visit to STL in the middle of the summer if it could be avoided.

IF I'm reading your last response correctly, your friends live in MO but not in the STL area? Does that still mean you need a hotel for 4 people?

I still think that Clayton is the way to go. But, if they had a specific hotel they were looking at in St. Charles, let us know. I really can't think of anything nice there, or really near the Mills, which is easy to get to from anywhere if the shopping at the Mills is what you want.

I've got my first set of tickets for the new Busch stadium next week. Can't wait to see it from the inside. And, it has to have better breeze/air flow than old Busch.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:18 PM

There is a new Embassy Suites in St. Louis.