Suggestions for this SF to LA itinerary!

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for this SF to LA itinerary!

On Dec 22, my husband and I are leaving CT for a 10-day trip to CA. We have hotels lined up from SF to LA, and I am looking for suggestions on what to do in each location and in-between. We currently have practically no agenda. Here is the itinerary:

Dec. 22 - 25: San Francisco, Marriott on Market St. ($105 via Priceline). Would like to go to church on X-mas--any denomination; something musical and inspirational. Suggestions? And before heading out of SF would like to go to bruch somewhere--possiblity dim sum, although our knowledge of how to order, etc., is practically nil. Any suggestions for that?

Dec. 25 - 27: Carmel; Best Western Mission ($89 via Hotwire).

Dec. 27 - 29: San Luis Obispo; Petit Soleil B&B ($129--lined that up directly with the innkeeper).

Dec. 29 - 31: Santa Barbara; The Eagle Inn ($135 King Deluxe room--booked via Orbitz).

Dec. 31 - Jan 2: LA, Homestead Suites @ LAX ($30 via Priceline). LAX is a dorky location, but we were really just looking for someplace to hang out before our flight leaves LA @ 11:59 p.m. on Jan. 1. We may go to a night club or other entertainment on New Years eve.

The agenda may be a little ambitious, but as I said, we are completely open, so can relax or run around as the mood strikes. We like tours, museums, great food, wine, shows, the beach, all forms of nature. We are not huge sports fans & realize there will be limitations because of the time of year. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions, including routes and stopping off places along the way. Frankly, I'm wondering if it's worth it to invest in the time in Hearst Castle. Thanks in advance, and best wishes to all for a happy holiday season!

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would drive Highway 1 from Carmel to Santa Barbara, but perhaps there is a reason you're routing through San Luis Obispo...?

The rate for the Homestead Suites at LAX is amazing, but the location ... not so much. How about a couple of miles away in Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach? Ten to fifteen minutes difference in drive to LAX (compared to Homestead Suites) but lightyears away in terms of ambiance.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 08:07 PM

For church in SF, head to Grace Cathedral, atop Nob Hill. It's built in the Gothic style and has wonderful music.

I take it you'll have a car? Then head out Geary Boulevard to the Mayflower Restaurant, quite near the Russian Orthodox cathedral. Closer in is the cavernous and atmospheric Gold Mountain.
Have a wonderful trip and a Merry Christmas.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 09:43 PM

Grace Cathedral is an excellent suggestion:

http://www.gracecathedral.org/

Have you been to Paris? Grace Cathedral is similar in appearance to Notre Dame and it's side chapel is patterned after Sainte Chapel but not near as beautiful. Do look around the website and learn a little about it before you go. Lots of interesting history to it and the stained glass windows are wonderful.

I don't like dim sum so couldn't suggest any particular place. The Great Eastern may have dim sum, but I like Hunan Home - smaller, excellent food. Off of Grant Street on Jackson, across from each other. I'm sure they are in Fodors - look here on the web site for them if you don't buy the book.

If you are at Grace Cathedral on Sunday, the Fairmont probably has a Sunday Brunch but I'm betting you will need a reservation. The Sheraton Palace has a famous brunch in a beautiful room but I'm betting you can't get a reservation for Christmas now as it is very popular.

I also like to have a Cosmo at the Top of the Mark. They are $10/$11 and beer and wine are less but the view is outstanding.

My son always likes to have an Irish coffee at the Buena Vista by the cable car turnaround down by Ghiradelli Square. He told me it was in a movie with Meg Ryan. The view can be pretty from there of the ocean as well especially as the sun is setting.

Shopping on Union Square will certainly be crowded so go early in the day.

Are you interested in shows? Beach Blanket Babylon is certainly a SF institution. I have heard there is a tickets booth for shows on Union Square but have never tried it.

The Legion of Honor is my favorite art museum although you will be closer to MOMA, and Asian Art Museum. The de Young just reopened in Golden Gate Park.

Here is a link to a recent thread on restaurants in the Carmel area if you haven't found it:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34690222

Let us know if you have any particular interests and see what we can come up with.

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:40 AM

We were at Macy's Wed. before Thanksgiving and they were getting ready to open up their Christmas Lane. It is always pretty.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I agree it's not exciting to stay at the airport in LA, but I think in this particular case it's going to fine. Plan is to leave Santa Barbara & stop at Simi Valley (Reagan Library) en route to LA--go out on the town on New Year's eve, and then basically hang around the hotel New Years Day--packing, resting and whatever before catching the red eye back to CT. We may go into Hollywood to the Movie Star museum--we were there last year, but it was closing and we couldn't get in. Ronda, we will go to Grace Cathedral--probably on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day, as on the former they have a boy's chorus at a 5:00 service, and their Christmas Day service isn't until 11:00, which could put us on a too-late schedule. Although maybe it will be Christmas Day after all, because I also notice the Gay Men's Chorus has a concert on Christmas Eve, so it could be hard to pick. (See that, I'm already starting to over-schedule!) I am going to look into brunch at either the Fairmont or Sheraton Palace. You asked what other things we might have an interest in. I have never been to any sort of winery, so somewhere along the route we'd like to do some sort of wine tour. Any suggestions? We also are big on history of any kind, so can you tell me more about the Legion of Honor Museum?
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Some suggestions for the SF part of your trip.

Glide Memorial Church (www.glide.org) would be a great place to go for X-mas day service. It is a very lively service with gospel music. It will probably be very different than the service at Grace Cathedral.

As for dim sum, the general procedure is that you are seated (sometimes you may share a table with others, it just depends on the restaurant). You do not order from a waiter other than drinks (sodas, etc.). The food comes around on carts and will stop by your table and you can pick what you want. The person pushing the cart will stamp or write on a card at your table. When you are done, you flag down a waiter and he will add up what was marked on your card and then you pay.

I would highly suggest going to dim sum if you've never had it before. It's much more interesting than a brunch at a fancy hotel, IMHO, although both will be good. Yank Sing (www.yanksing.com)near the ferry building is a good choice downtown (but it's a bit pricer than dim sum places). Closer to Chinatown, there is City View. I usually go to dim sum in other parts of the City, so I'm not an expert at dim sum places in chinatown. I'm sure others will have recommendations. Have a great trip and bring an umbrella!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 01:40 PM

The Legion of Honor is an Art museum. Description of the Legion of Honor from the Fodor's Mini Guides:

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...erty_id=176692

Official Site for Legion of Honor:

http://www.thinker.org/legion/index.asp

There are great views of the City and Golden Gate Bridge as well from there. I do like their Cafe for lunch although like all museums, a little expensive. Check to see when the tours are and grab one of those. I love the drive from the Legion of Honor to Fisherman's Wharf (or the other way around). It may be the scenic 49 mile drive but I'm not sure. From the Legion of Honor follow El Camino Del Mar out of the parking lot and through the beautiful homes in the Seacliff area until it turns into Lincoln Blvd. Runs along the coast and under the ramp to the Golden Gate Bridge. Look at a map; you can get to Fort Point National Historic Site and great views of the bridge from the underside, but if there is bad weather, you can get sprayed with sea water.

If you leave the Legion of Honor heading down Legion of Honor Dr., take a right on Geary Blvd and follow it around to the Cliff House. You could have lunch at the Cliff House or continue on down and have lunch at the Beach Chalet by the windmill in Golden Gate Park.

I once took a guided walk when staying at the Mark Hopkins that was so interesting on the history of Nobb Hill. I'm working on a name for you. Your hotel may have a list of people who give walking tours so you might check with them ahead of time. There is also a very nice book "Historic Walks in San Francisco". I think I bought it at the Modern Art Museum gift store. You might want to see if you can find anything at your public library on the robber barons - Stanford, Hopkins, etc.

Our walking tour also included Chinatown which I enjoyed as well. Old St. Mary's Church on California and Grant has some great pictures from the 1906 Earthquake so step inside and take a peek. From there if you walk up Grant Street, take a left on Clay, and a right on Waverly Place and you will be on a tiny back street where you could swear you were in China.

If you want to do winerys but don't want to go to Napa, there are some in Carmel Valley. Chateau Julian isn't too far down the road to Carmel Valley. Looks like a French Chateau. Bernardos (sp?) is also out that way - the winery, hotel, and restaurant. The restaurant is supposed to be very good and a rival to the Chinese Laundry in the Napa area.

Well, a few ideas to get you started Wish it wasn't Christmas; I'd be up there to take you around SF in a second (I live in San Jose).

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM

I just called the Mark Hopkins regarding the walking tour of Nobb Hill. They gave me a name of Valorie with HobbNobb Tours (650) 851-1123. I think it is the same gal we used so give her a call if you are interested. She did a great job - lots of history of the area and took us in places in China Town the general public wouldn't know to go or couldn't get in.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 04:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I doubt the Movie Star Museum in Hollywood will be open Dec. 31 and Jan. 1. If the daytime weather's nice, consider a walk on The Strand in Manhattan Beach. From LAX, drive south on Sepulveda to Manhattan Beach Blvd. (about 4 miles), turn right/west. Park at the Pier.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:53 PM

So many things to do, so little time!

For dim sum, try New Asia Garden or Miriwa, both on Pacific in Chinatown or the aforementioned Gold Mountain on Broadway, on the fringe of Chinatown. Otherwise, the Mayflower is terrific - it's right across from the Russian Church on Geary and 24th (or is it 22nd?).

Dim sum is also known as "yum cha" - drinking tea, so the tea is very important. Tea in Asia is like wine in Europe, it can get very specialized. One of the standard teas drunk during dim sum is "gog bow" which is short for "gog fa bow lai" - bow lai is a type of tea and gog fa is the chrysanthemum flower. If you don't like caffeine, you can order "gog fa" which is just dried chrysanthemum flowers - one of the earliest "herbal" teas around.

As to what to order, look for the carts which carry stacked round bamboo containers or small metal containers. These carts usually contain the hottest and some of the most desired dishes. Try "siu mai (see-you my)" or "ha-gow" from these carts. You can always ask the server pushing the cart to lift up the lid covering a particular stack of containers and take a peek inside. If the contents strike your fancy, just nod; if not, shake your head.

You do not have to know how to speak Cantonese to enjoy dim sum! When your tea pot runs dry or low, just lift up the lid of the teapot or set it at an angle on top of the pot - the waiter will instantly recognize that you need more hot water. Otherwise, just wave, point, nod, shake your head - all pretty universal language!

You also do not need to fight with chopsticks. The Chinese word for fork sounds very much like the Chinese word for tea - "cha" (different tone, but you don't have to worry about that!). Just say "cha" and make like a fork with your stabbing fingers, you should get what you need. Poppular dim sum restaurants can be terribly noisy, so sign language is used often - beats shouting any day!

As for museums, I'd recommend the De Young for its temporary showing of Queen Hatsepsut, a showing of ancient Egypt to rival the King Tut one down in the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), only a lot less advertised. It runs through January or February of 2006. If you do go to the De Young, don't miss the view from the tower - ugly ugly tower from the outside, but beautiful beautiful view from the inside.

Also for museums, try the Asian Art Museum, which is world class. It has a fantastic pan-Asian collection.

SF MOMA, alas, can't hold a candle to NY MOMA, but give it time!

The Legion of Honor, patterned after the one in Paris, is a beautiful museum with some wonderful "travelling shows" - just check and see what it has showing currently.

When in San Luis Obispo, try and get some of the local apples. They are not very big but come from trees that are quite old and have a wonderful taste - nothing like the big and tasteless modern apples.

Skipping down to Los Angeles, I'd suggest Santa Monica - and the Japanese restaurant, yamashiro's, in North Hollywood will offer you a fantastic view of the entire valley on a clear day. Oh yes, maybe the Getty Museum will have something special for Christmas. Even without special Christmas shows, don't miss the Getty!

Have a great trip! Sounds like fun! and welcome to California!
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:12 AM

The "Movie Star Museum"?!? Do you mean the Hollywood Wax Museum? Where the wax figures were so badly rendered, the most fun was to go there a bit drunk and try to guess who they were without looking at the signs?

No no no.... Truly tacky. Better to concentrate on fun stuff on the Westside. The Getty is lovely, a stroll on the Strand in Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach is great. A Beverly Hills shopping trip is always fun. Too bad about staying near LAX for New Year's Eve. If you had picked a place in Santa Monica (which is less than 30 minutes' travel from LAX-- on surface roads), you could have participated in festivities on and around the Third Street Promenade-- all without having to drive anywhere. Oh well....
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:30 AM

<<I would drive Highway 1 from Carmel to Santa Barbara, but perhaps there is a reason you're routing through San Luis Obispo...?>>

http://boomersint.org/pchwy/clock.htm

This is a good question, and one that poses a qundary that we can’t blame on the Bermuda Triangle. Nope, good ol’ Hiway 1 gets hijacked right at Santa Rosa Street in San Luis Obispo, not to be seen again until Price Street in Pismo Beach.

Does that mean you can reconnect in Pismo to continue south to Santa Barbara? Well, no… for all practical purposes, you would hitch up to the 101 South in SLO, which will take you the approximate 2-1/2 hour drive into SB.

There are some stretches of the PCH that fade away for one reason or another and are better off left to the locos, I mean locals like myself, the twighlight zone, or to the otherwise curious who just have to know what’s around the next bend.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:58 AM

“quandary” …my dictionary got hijacked on the 1….near Casmalia…too much toxic waste…trust me….
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:02 PM

easytraveler, have you seen the Legion of Honor in Paris? It is across from the Orsay. I didn't think the two look anything alike. Do you know if you can go inside the one in Paris? I didn't have time to check it out this summer other than to look at it from the outside. Hmm, guess I need to do some research.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:19 PM

RE: Legion of Honor

The story:

http://www.napoleon-series.org/resea.../c_legion.html

The building got its name from the Palais de la Légion d'Honneur in Paris, although the design was based on a model of the Hôtel de Salm that appeared at the 1915 Panama Pacific Exhibition. Alma de Brettville Le Normand-Spreckels, gave it to the city of San Francisco.

This is an old picture but as you can see, the two don't look very much alike:

http://www.jssgallery.org/Essay/The_...l_de_Salm.html

Well, the drawing on this historical plaque looks more like it:

http://en.structurae.de/photos/index.cfm?JS=26065

I also think it is interesting that a glass pyramid skylight was placed in the courtyard. Who had it first - the Louvre or Legion of Honor in SF? Of course, it isn't near as large as the Louvre's.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

You are all phenomenal. Thank you so much. This is my most favorite website due to great people like you. I will skip the Hollywood museum (I didn't think it was wax figures but more like Hollywood history--but you are probably right--it's likely tacky nonetheless). I'm sure the Getty is a much better use of time. I will go to Glide in San Francisco (I'm more the gospel than choir type, anyway). I will visit the Legion of Honor and study and make decisions on other museums mentioned and wine tours. I will do dim sum & not fancy brunch. And I wholeheartedly agree that the airport is a dumb place to stay, but I did already do the BeverlyHills/Hollywood thing last year, and based on Santa Monica hotel room prices and the fact that this will be at the very end of the trip when resources are truly drained, I will just make the most of it--and be out and about anyway. My next plan is to get on to the AAA site, and map the whole thing out. Once done, I will post it and look for any final suggestions. Again, thanks so much.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Staying at the Marriott you will be within walking distance of some of the other muesums mentioned. You will have to drive to the Legion of Honor. Also you really should go see Grace Cathedral even if you don't attend church. If you take a tour of the Church, you will learn so much. The tours of the church are free after the $3 donation. Check the web site for times.

I do love France so when I go to SF I try to do as many "French" things as possible. Belden Lane is not on every map but it is off of Bush street between Kearney and Montgomery. If the weather is nice, you can sit outside. B44 has great spanish tapas, Plouf has great mussels, and Cafe Bastille has better dinners than lunches.

If you walk up Bush Street, there are couple of other restaurants - Cafe Claude on Claude Lane has jazz music, Le Central looks like a French Bistro right out of Paris - if you like cassoulet, you can get it here - and Cafe Press in just up Bush and has a nice lunch menu as well as coffee (also dinner) (just remodeled).

Continuing up Bush, Check out the little French church across the street from the Stockton Street Garage - Notre Dame Des Vistories, 566 Bush St. The church's facade is modeled after the Basilica of Notre Dame des Fourvieres in Lyon, France. I have a colored brochure on the church but haven't seen it displayed lately. We happened in one day when the organize was practicing and it was wonderful.

Jeanne de Arc restaurant is just up Bush street on the left in a hotel which I can't think of the name. Has a French flag and the name of the restaurant outside. They have a price fixe dinner for around $30-$40. Supposed to be a romantic restaurant. We have eaten there and it is cute.

If you ride the cable cars, be sure to get a day pass as opposed to a one-way-fare. I think a one-way is $4 now and not sure what the day pass is. Easiest to catch a ride on the California line.

Hope you have beautiful weather!