Suggestions for "Special Dinner" on Big Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done the search thing on here and have not been able to come up with a consensus so I will ask:

We will be celebrating my husband's BIG birthday on our last night on BI. We are staying at Hapuna Prince. Can anyone recommend a really special place {great food AND great view} for this special night? Do any of the restaurants at Hapuna or Mauna Kea fit the bill? Thanks!

Debi
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

topping
Debi
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:45 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Close... the Canoe House at the Mauna Lani is one of the most romantic and beautiful restaurants we've ever been to. Just today I'm setting up a "surprise" dinner there for son & new DIL for their honeymoon. Google it if you don't believe me.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:46 AM

Well, the best restaurant on the island is Pahuia at the Four Seasons. Click "restaurants" above, then choose Hawaii and Big Island and then sort by scores. I've only read rave reviews on this board (and elsewhere) and it's the consistent answer when your question is asked.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

I am leaning towards Pahuia Starrsville, but I read that men must wear slacks, collared shirts [that part's ok] and closed toed shoes! My DH lives in sandals/tevas and was only going to bring hiking boots as his other "shoes". Women can apparently wear sandals; if they are strict, I think its unfair.

I'd hate for him to drag dress shoes for this one place...

Debi
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:57 AM

Well, for many it would be worth it. Slip in some slip-ons, or celebrate elsewhere. It's his birthday - find out his preferences.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:59 AM

For me, closed toed shoes does not = dress shoes. Heck, buy a pair of Tommy Bahama loafers or similar over there if you decide you want to dine in a really special place that meets your criteria.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 02:42 PM

Two places that really stood out for us this past March were Browns Beach House at the Fairmont and Merrimans. Browns has a very elegant tropical setting on a sandy beach cove and the sunset was incredible. The food was perfect(but expensive) and after the meal we walked the little stretch of beach under the stars with the kids running around ahead of us-it was pure indulgence and truly memorable. Merrimans is up the mountain in Waimea and the drive alone is well worth it. The place is tiny and reservations are a must well ahead of time but the food is so fresh and prepared to enhance the freshness. The corn was the sweetest I have ever eaten. I really relaxed here and I find myself thinking about this meal quite often, I will return here for sure. Hope this helps...
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 06:16 PM

Another vote here for Brown's...but Pahu I'a is also extremely nice. Both are ocean front with Pahu I'a being somewhat closer to the water.

My husband has worn shorts & sandals to both restaurants, no problem whatsoever.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 11:53 AM

I would recommend the Canoe House at the Mauna Lani. Very romantic. When we went there, I saw men in shorts and sandals.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Brown's Beach House at the Fairmont. Great food, music, & view. Also let them know about the occasion prior to the dinner. They may make a special dessert for the birthday( they did for our 25th Anniversry). I think you'll love it.