Suggestions for September 2007 in New England area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are contemplating a 10 day driving vacation beginning and ending in Boston. Would Cape Cod area still be beach weather around 9-15?Will fall foliage be ready? Have never been more than 25 miles north or west of Boston, what is there to see in NH, ME and Nova Scotia or will it be cold already? We enjoy mountains as well as beach, but physically challenged as far as hiking, mountain climbing, etc. Any suggestions? Special resorts or places to stay? Thanks!
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 03:12 PM

Mid-Sept is too late for the beach, and too early for foliage except in northern NH and VT. Nova Scotia is pretty far from New England. Not sure what you mean by "too cold already", since many parts of New England enjoy some of their finest tourism in January and February.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 03:46 PM

Have been to Cape Cod in mid Sept and the water wasn't SO cold - but then I'm from New York. If you're used to more southern warm water (which I hate - I like it chilly) you may not like it. And it's too early for leaf peeping (high season is usually Columbus Day weekend).

So - you'll probably either have to go earlier or later - or do some of the thousands of other things New England has to offer.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 04:46 PM
roy

Cape Cod is definitely still beach weather in the middle of September. I have enjoyed Nantucket Sound three weeks later on several occasions. The additional bonus is the lack of the summer tourists and the accompanying high season rates at the lodgings. Pretty much changes after Labor Day. Of course, the tradeoff is the lack of help in restaurants etc., so things are somewhat slower.
Also, don't be looking for fall foliage at this time. There is very little at the Cape at any time and this early, there isn't much anywhere in New England except in northern Maine.
Still, with 10 days, you have time to head up to the White Mountains in New Hampshire for some great scenery regardless of the leaf colors and the Maine coast almost anywhere is excellent. One of my favorites, and not too far, is Boothbay Harbor for a day or two. Bar Harbor in September is also very good after all the summer folk have gone home.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 05:04 PM

The National Seashore beaches on Cape Cod are fabulous in September for walking, moonlight bonfires, and secluded dunes. For me, the water on the outer beaches of the Atlantic is too cold to swim in even in the middle of August, but there are plenty of people who enjoy swimming in the ocean as well as Cape Cod Bay and Nantucket Sound in September. There are lots of things to do (theaters, museums, nature walks, whalewatch, seal-cruise, antiquing, biking, dune tours, day trips to islands, town festivals etc.) without the family crowds that come to the Cape during school vacations so you will have a full day every day if that is what you want.
We also like to spend time in Bar Harbor during September, but beware of the cruise ship phenomena if you do not like crowds. When the ship docks and thousands of tourists unload they can seriously clog Bar Harbor. Some of the other towns like Southwest and Northeast Harbor are quite nice and of course Acadia is breathtaking. To give you an idea of the travel time if you drive...Boston to Bar Harbor is about 5 1/2 hours....Boston to the outer Cape is about 2 hours.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 10:28 PM

I might suggest the following. Take 2 days to drive to Bar Harbor, stopping for a night in someplace on southern Maine coast. Spend 2 nights near Acadmia National Park/Bar Harbor. Lots you can see in the Park involving driving/gentle walks.

Take Cat (catferry.com) to Nova Scotia. Spend about 4 days driving circle around Nova Scotia, perhaps including Digby, Halifax, Lunenberg. Probably not time for Cape Breton.

Back to Yarmouth, NS where you can take Cat to Portland, ME. Spend a night there, back to Boston for remaining night or 2.

You may see some beginning foliage in higher elevations at Acadia and beaches in Maine and Nova Scotia will be nice for walking, though not swimming.

Alternative would be Cape Cod/Marthas Vineyard/Nantucket type trip - plenty of info here if you pick that more southern route.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 05:33 AM

Unless you are planning to spend time in Boston you might consider flying into Manchester NH airport. Fares are usually good and the airport is much smaller. You can be over in Portsmouth in less than an hour, a great place to start a vacation. Take a harbor or inland rivers cruise. Great restaurants and lots of history. Hop on Rt 95 north and stay on until you get to Brunswick. Then wander Rt 1 as far north as you'd like to go. Camden is very popular with tourists, upscale shops downtown, and a wonderful harbor which is home to several windjammers. Always recommend the auto road up Mt Battie which overlooks Camden harbor. We usually also include a visit to Cellar Door Winery in nearby Lincolnville. It takes at least a half day to explore a peninsula which includes a stop for a lobster lunch. North of Portland there aren't many sandy beaches but you could stop in Oqunquit, York, etc for some beach time. On your return south you might spend the night in Portland for more great restaurants and fun Old Port area shopping. Then head west to NH's White Mountains. No foliage yet but still beautiful scenery. Consider a cruise on Lake Winnipesaukee or a drive up Mt Washington's auto road. Unless your return flight is early in the morning you can spend your last night in NH. Boston's Logan is about 45 minutes south of Manchester's. I wouldn't bother staying at a resort unless you planned to enjoy the extra amenities like golfing. I've heard good things about Wentworth-by-the-Sea near Portsmouth. It's in a wonderful location, very picturesque. Beaches in Rye and Hampton would be a short drive.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 06:17 AM
ltt

i was in cape cod and on martha's vineyard just after the september long weekend 2 years ago. the weather was wonderful. don't know if i'd want to swim but it was definitly laying on the beach weather.
personally, i would think 10 days is good for seeing the boston area, cape cod, martha's vineyard or nantucket and maybe bar harbor. trying to include nova scotia is a little much. on the cape, i'd recommend staying in chatham. great location for exploring the cape. i didn't say there but want to on my next trip - check out the chatham bars inn http://www.chathambarsinn.com/
have fun
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:02 AM

Best time of year to visit, but let's try to keep that a secret. No foliage however. Drive up into New Hampshire and spend a couple nights in the Lakes Region (baysideinn.com)...then up into the White Mtns and across the Rangeley Lakes region of western Maine on to Bar Harbor/Acadia for 3 nights. Then make your way down the coast of Maine spending 2 nights in Camden. Final 3 nights in southern Maine (Ogunquit or York Harbor) or all the way down to Cape Cod if you've never been there.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Mid September is absolutely still beach weather on the Cape, it's beautiful that time of year with the added bonus of being uncrowded and shoulder season, so prices will be lower.

Check out the Chathams Bars Inn or Wequassett Inn in Chatham. You cold explore all of the cape from there, and if you bike, the bike trail is fantastic.

Better yet, take the ferry to Nantucket and spend a few days there, it's heaven on earth.
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions. We did fly into Manchester, NH twice this fall dropping off daughter to college in Boston and Parent's Weekend. Was awful experience both times. The tiny prop plane we had to fly from LGA was downright SCARY and both times we had to be re-routed on the return through Charlotte, NC, which adds lots of time returning to Ohio. We have had lots of exposure to Boston Heritage sites, musuems and will continue to as daughter is in college till 2010. I am willing to explore Cape Cod, maybe Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. Would like a swimming pool in case ocean is too cold. Would like to drive up the coast at least to Maine, Boothbay Harbor sounds nice. Where would be a good hotel recommendation for 3 or 4 nights at the beach? Thanks!
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 10:11 AM

Where are you looking for a hotel on the beach? Cape Cod, Nantucket, Maine?
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM

I know what you mean about Manchester Airport - and I live north of Boston. While there are some good fares to be had into Manchester, especially on SWA, I have found for many other itineraries the cost is the same or more and there is often an additional transfer involved - and I won't even get into the "fake plane" problem.

You might want to check out Cliff House in southern Maine for a night or 2 (cliffhousemaine.com)
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 03:14 AM

We did a tour of the 6 N.England states in 2004 from mid Sept to mid October. For the foliage it was great in the more northern mountain area.Bar harbor is really great having the only National park in N.E.Great whale watching too.Take two days to get there from Boston.Then I would go to Jackson N.Hampshire.Beautiful town,covered bridge in the middle of the White ountains.Drive up Mount Washington.Then perhaps Burlington Vermont and down to Bennington,the Mohawk trail, Shaker village, the Berkshires.Oh there's so much to see.We loved Litchfield,Conn.Mystic seaport.The Breakers in Newport R.I.In Cape Cod we stayed in Wood's hole and took the ferry to Martha's Vineyard.For Americans a visit to Plimoth plantation is a must.I like to swim but never did during our stay.Too cold for my old bones.Paul

covered bridge
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:13 PM

If you end up staying on Cape Cod I suggest you check out the Fort Hill Bed and Breakfast in a historic area in Eastham. It is the only lodging in the National Seashore and has a very unique site on Fort Hill overlooking the Atlantic ocean. From there you can easily spend time at the beachs (just minutes away), either on the ocean side or bay side, explore the villages of Provincetown Wellfleet, Orleans and Chatham... all within 25 minutes or less. Although the outer cape is much less commercial than the rest of Cape Cod, you will find wonderful theater, dining, museums, shopping and of course, the beaches are some of the best in the USA. You can easily take day trips to Nantucket and MV as well. I am reluctant to recommend your staying in Chatham at the Chatham Bars Inn because it has recently changed hands and is having some difficulty with staffing but the Waquasett Inn in Harwich might be a possibility if you are looking for a resort.