Suggestions for quick Philadelphia visit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2021, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will arrive in Philadelphia via train the evening of 12/21 about 8 pm, have 12/22 & 23 to be tourists before departing the morning of 12/24. Staying near Convention Center, 1200 Arch St. Mobility is an issue, as DH uses walker and stairs are a problem. Plan to use taxi or Lyft to get around more than a few blocks.

I know many museums will be closed on 12/22 (Wednesday) so am thinking we could spend Wednesday doing Macy's light show at 10:30 AM, stroll Dilworth Park, lunch at Reading terminal then head to Independence Hall area. Thursday do Art Museum, Barnes, maybe hit South Street. Friday AM will pick up rental car near Convention Center and head to NE Extension of PA Turnpike to see family.
His first time, obviously just a brief visit but it's what time we have. Appreciate any suggestions Fodorites can offer.

Thanks!
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 03:44 PM

As you know, there’s so much to do in Center City! You already have the outline for a few very full days but, of course, I will offer additional suggestions—

—Christmas Market near City Hall
https://www.philachristmas.com

—leisurely lunch at Rittenhouse Square. Or perhaps dinner with a view of the lights in the park? At Parc, maybe?
https://parc-restaurant.com

—Independence Park area’s newer museums—Constitution Center and Museum of the American Revolution (both are in NARM; admission is covered if you have NARM reciprocal privileges with another museum membership)
https://constitutioncenter.org
https://www.amrevmuseum.org
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This site lists a lot of things to do in the city.
https://www.visitphilly.com/holidays-in-philadelphia/
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 07:47 AM

Did anyone mention the Reading Terminal Market above? Here are my TRs for possible ideas. There were still plenty of taxis when we went so your Lyft will probably more successful. Have a sweet time.

My honorary sister and I did this via train from Baltimore. Two places to eat here. Larger wants reservation. We also went to Freedom Hall:

A Day Trip to the Barnes Foundation

This was with an art group and only to the Philly Museum of Art:

Philadelphia Museum of Art-Mini Trip

Old Nov 29th, 2021, 10:20 AM

Seamus If you are heading to the NE Extension, what about a stop in Valley Forge if the weather is nice? It wouldn't be far out of your way and even if you don't want to walk around, just drive through the park.

another thought for the day with a car: wrong direction, but lovely at the holidays is Longwood Gardens. If you are plant and/or garden people, it really is amazing. We usually head to the greenhouse and walk around inside to see what they are displaying. Every year is different. You could get up early, get the car, stop at Longwood, and then drive from there? (depending on how far you are going up the NE Ext).
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 06:49 AM

Holiday lights, maybe?

https://eedition.inquirer.com/html5/...4-ec77ba08da21
Old Dec 5th, 2021, 07:44 AM

Hi Seamus

I really love the Italian Market, a nice option when heading out to to South Street. I checked the Rodin Museum, another favourite; sadly it is closed on Wednesday. You may not have time for this, but Manayunk is a neighbourhood with character; while in the “suburbs”, it’s unlike many suburban communities being a historic former Yankee mill town accessible by SEPTA. Some charming dining and drinking options are on offer there, and the towpath hearkens to another era.

Have a great trip! I hope your husband ends up loving Philadelphia as I do!

Best wishes,

Daniel
Old Dec 6th, 2021, 05:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We spent 4 1/2 days in Philly a few years ago and loved the history of the city ... and the art ... and the food. The first five chapters of the report should give you a few ideas.

https://travelswithmaitaitom.com/phi...ginia-dc-2018/

This might ring a bell.

Old Dec 9th, 2021, 06:52 AM

Giant Tiffany glass Mosaic- by Maxfield Parrish
https://www.associationforpublicart....-dream-garden/

Old Dec 14th, 2021, 09:23 AM

You will need reservations for the Barnes Foundation. Make sure to go to the basement:

https://flic.kr/p/ebee5x
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 06:21 AM

Did you enjoy your time in Philadelphia, Seamus? What did you do? I hope the entire trip went well for you.
Old Jan 2nd, 2022, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

k_marie, It was a bit of a whirlwind but quite enjoyable. We flew into EWR and hopped Amtrak to 30th St station in Philly. Stayed at a Hilton Home2Suites across the street from Reading Terminal market, a great location. After check in we headed to Monk's Cafe on S 16th for an excellent meal of mussels and Belgian beers. The chicken liver mousse starter was terrific; service friendly, laid back and efficient. Only issue - which was to be repeated throughout our visit - was that there is no accessible entrance. Much like many Broadway theatres in NYC the historic designation exempts from ADA standards. Had a bit of a struggle to get DH up the stairs but we made it.

Next morning we took in the Macy's (formerly Wanamaker's) Christmas light show and Dickens Village, then hit Reading Terminal market for lunch. So many choices! We opted for turkey Ruben sandwiches which were so huge we took half back to the hotel. Picked up some luscious cupcakes on the way out, along with a couple really good coffees. After a brief rest headed to Independence Hall for our scheduled tour and visit to the Liberty Bell. Met niece for lovely Italian dinner at Via Locusta - the focaccia alone is worth a visit!

Next day we headed to Phila Museum of Art where we obtained a loaner wheelchair for DH at the cloakroom. Agent at the ticket counter was absolutely lovely, comped my admission as the companion pushing DH's wheelchair and walked us through the museum map. It had been decades since my last visit and the expansion since is impressive indeed. Grabbed a slice of pizza in the cafe, thought it OK. We originally thought about spending a couple hours there then heading to Penn Museum, but wound up spending all day at PMA. Something for the next visit! Had a little kerfuffle with Uber as the app only lists two pickup points at the museum not including the accessible entrance where we were. Despite sending messages to the driver and speaking with him, he cancelled the trip after 19 minutes waiting! Fortunately another driver was less obnoxious and took us to meet Fodorite Karen Philly and her DIL at the White Dog Cafe. Superb company and a very nice meal in one of the original farm to table places in Philly. Karen graciously offered to drive us back to our hotel and pointed out the light show at City Hall en route.

Next morning after breakfast at the hotel I walked around the corner to pick up our rental car and we headed off up the NE Extension of the PA Turnpike to spend a few days with family. All in all, a lovely trip!
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 04:32 AM

Sounds wonderful, Seamus.
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 06:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your visit sounds wonderful Seamus. Glad you managed to get around okay.
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 06:45 AM

Whirlwind indeed, Seamus! You included so many highlights in your short time in Philadelphia. Happy to learn you had a good visit.

In the past two years, we haven’t had many fun excursions into Center City. Maybe soon we’ll get back to theater and concerts and we’ll add Via Locusta to the list!
Old Jan 5th, 2022, 05:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I’m glad you enjoyed it, Seamus. So you didn’t get to the Barnes? A must do the next time you find yourself in Philly.

White Dog is fabulous.