Search

Suggestions for NYC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for NYC

I am taking my mother (54) and sister (23)on a much needed getaway to NYC (April 16 - 19). We'll arrive around 11 AM on Monday and leave at 4PM on Thurday. The last time I visited NYC was as a high school chaperone back in 1999, so I'm definitely looking for a different trip. Any must "do" or must "see" suggestions?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Everyone has a different idea of "must see" for him or her.

You've been there so you obviously know about the major attractions and those alone could fill your three days. Or since you're saying you want a different trip are you definitely avoiding all the things like Empire State, Rockefeller Center, Broadway shows, Statue of Liberty, and The Metropolitan museum?

What specific things are you looking for? Show suggestions? Museums? Tours? Lectures?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Definitely do Top of the Rock - new since you were there, great views and no long waits like ESB.

I would always include the Met - since it has something for everyone (check out the web site for departments you may like - and perhaps sign on for a gallery tour)

Check broadwaybox.com to see shows that are offering discounted tickets - and get them now for best options.

Other than that - you need to tell us more about you/your interests so we can reco what you will like best.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

I knew that I didn't give a lot of info on my last post. Both my sister and I have done the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building. I didn't know about the Top of the Rock. Is that Rockefeller Center? Are there any tours worth doing?
We'd love to catch some shows. We're staying in the Upper East Side. Our interests are pretty varied. I love museums, but my sister definitely has much younger tastes. (She probably more interested in shopping). My mother, however, has not been to NYC since high school, so I bet she will want to do some of the touristy stuff.
What are the show/play suggestions? I would love to see "A Chorus Line."
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Here are just a few of my own must-see's for first-time visitors, or folks who haven't been in a while: Top of the Rock, and a peek at Rockefeller Center in general; St. Patrick's Cathedral and a window-shopping stroll along 5th Avenue; The Met; Central Park, though not the whole park, of course. I know, these are obvious, but, well, you asked...

The rest depends on what you like to do. I'd suggest a Broadway show, or more boutique shopping in Greenwich Village, or the Frick, a lovely small jewel of a restored mansion and art museum. I'm not big into Empire State or the Statue of Liberty myself, but some people wouldn't miss those.

If you tell us more about your interests, we'll give more suggestions!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Whoops, we crossed paths!

Top of the Rock lets you go up to the top of the tallest building in Rockefeller Center, where you get 360 degree views of the city and a bird's eye view of the Empire State. That's why I like it--I actually think it's a better view than Empire State offers. You can combine it with the NBC Studio tour, if you'd like to see where they do SNL, etc.

Maybe your sister could go shopping one afternoon while you and your mom do a mueseum? That's the great thing about New York, after all, something for everyone.

Or to please her you could all go have dinner in the Meatpacking District, someplace cool like Spice Market. That area has been featured on Sex and the City.