Suggestions for Michigan trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking a "girls trip" through parts of Michigan and would love suggestions and comments. We are two 49 year olds that are leaving husbands and grown kids behind. On Monday, June 19th we will be coming up from the Indianapolis area. Thought we would stop in Frankenmuth for a few hours. Just long enough to see the Christmas store and eat a good meal. Suggestions for lunch??? We will stay in a Quality Inn near Saginaw and visit the Dow Gardens the following morning. Then, we will go to Mackinac Island and stay at the Grand Hotel for one night. Question??? Should we just go the fast way right up 75 or is the east coast drive something we should do?(Tawas City, Alpena, etc.) After Mackinac we will drive to Cross Village and see the Legs Inn followed by the drive down 119. Our 3rd night we have reservations at the Bay View Inn in Petoskey. Would like suggestions on a nice place to eat that evening. I like places the locals go. Really good food, maybe local specialties, etc. Doesn't have to be the most expensive place in town. Thursday after looking around Petoskey, Harbor Springs, and Charlevoix we will head down to Traverse City. We have two nights at the Fairfield Inn. We want to drive out to the Old Mission Lighthouse and go to Chateau Chantal for the Jazz at sunset. Friday we want to explore Leland and Sutton's Bay area. Again, I want to see the lighthouse at Northport. May stop at Black Star Farms if we have time. Anyone been there??? Is it worth our time??? Friday evening we plan on taking the sunset cruise on the tall ship,Manitou. We will leave Sat. morning. I know we are trying to do a lot. Please give suggestions and comments on restaurants, wineries, or things we shouldn't miss. Has anyone eaten at Lobdell's Teaching Restaurant in Traverse City? Thanks for helping!!! I can't wait to hear your suggestions!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Anyone from Michigan??? Just trying to get a reply. Thanks
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:12 PM

travelingteacher - I've got constructive criticism to offer. Please don't think I'm being rude. I'm trying to help you get more answers to your questions.

A long post with no breaks for paragraphs is extremely hard to read, so many (including myself) just don't even try. If you could re-post this with each area in its own paragraph (or with more breaks just for easier reading if necessary), I bet many more people would be interested in helping. Also, make sure the specific questions are easy to find so that they all get answered.

I hope you get all your questions answered and can plan a great trip. Michigan is a great place to be.
Old Jun 4th, 2006, 11:57 AM

topping
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:31 AM

Well I'll see what I can do to help with some of your questions...

1) Frankenmuth - Zehnders is always and extremely popular place for lunch or dinner. The Frankenmuth Brewery was also reconstructed in '03 and they have a good all round menu. Just as a side note - St. Julian's winery is also nearby and they offer free tasting w/ no appointments. Good wines at reasonable prices.

2) Getting to Mackinaw - I would recommend just going straight up I-75. ALthough the east coast along Lake Huron is nice it is not worth going out of your way for. The west coast in my option is much more breathtaking and scenic.

3) Petosky - We always enjoy the Park City Grill (http://www.cityparkgrill.com/) when we are in Petosky.

4) Sorry no experience w/ Black Star Farms.

have fun in Michigan!
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 05:30 AM

You are going to be busy! One recommendation, and it's just my own humble opinion - you will definately be experiencing some of the most beautiful parts of Michigan. But,....I would stick with one side of the state or the other. If you head up 69 and go West, following the Michigan Lake Shore you would be able to enjoy the small little towns along the way to Mackinac.

Again, only my opinion, but Frankenmuth is "ok", but once you see the beauty of Traverse City, and the other small towns along the way, you'll want to stay longer!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 10:28 AM

Everything you have mentioned will be perfect. I also would go straight up 75.

My favorite restaurants are the Bluebird in Leland. Get a table by the window looking out on the blue-green river with lovely flowers and busy ducks. I always get the chicken salad. The other is the Cherry Hut in Beulah or Benzonia (right next to each other). Great home-made pies and jams to take home.

This will be a wonderful trip. Can I come?
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:29 PM

After leaving Dow Gardens, the better option for the drive north is to continue west on US-10 and take US-127 north. You will re-join I-75 near Grayling and avoid some backtracking. If you are a birdwatcher, there are some spots by Houghton Lake to observe eagle/osprey nests and possibly still see baby herons in a rookery.

Black Star Farms is definitely worth a visit as are a few other wineries in the area. Pick up a winery guide in the area and stop at a few other spots even if you don't do a tasting. The scenery can be breathtaking.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:40 PM

I got engaged at Black Star Farms this past December, so I'm rather partial! It is a unique tasting room in that they also make cheese on site...don't forget to take home a block of their award-winning raclette!

If you ever get a chance and have the cash (it isn't cheap but they offer off-season discounts), I also highly recommend staying at the inn. You get a complementary bottle of wine, use of the sauna and trails, free tastings off the reserve menu, AND a happy hour every evening that includes all you can drink wine and brandy and appetizers made from the house chef. The breakfasts are to DIE for!!! We are vegetarian and their wonderful chef whipped everything up to perfection.

If you haven't been to Sutton's Bay, it's a small but cute town with lots of little shops and great local restaurants. Black Star farms is just south of the town on your way back to Traverse City.

Of course, there are lots of other great wineries up there....what a wonderful way to spend an afternoon! Have a great time on your trip!!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:54 AM

Teacher, how was your trip?
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 07:21 AM

OMG - I can't believe I didn't see this post!!

I grew up in Midland and I absolutely adore Dow Gardens.
Now I live in Dallas and we have the Arboretum which has plantings/flowers that are so forced; no one could ever achieve the same results.
Hope you enjoyed the garden.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 01:16 PM

pepper,

I live in Midland now. Which school did you graduate from?

Suzie
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 05:41 PM

Dow in '88.
My favorite teacher was Mr. Williams; I had him twice.

The street I grew up on has changed a lot; we stopped by there last summer and talked to the current owners. Where there was an open field across the street - there are houses. And our dirt rd has been paved with curbs!!!
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 08:36 PM

We took this trip last year and went up the coast of Lake Huron and then came back down the coast of Lake Michigan and loved it. If you have not been on both coasts - do it, it is beautiful and fun. We did like the Lake Michigan Coast best but both were fun and worth seeing. Have fun!!