Suggestions for great pool resorts San Diego area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2016, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 1 child 12 yrs, 1 teen 15 yrs) form Europe who are planning a 3 week trip to California next summer.

We plan to fly in to San Francisco, spend 5 days here, drive to Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon and finish off at a cool resort. We are bit in doubt of where the resort should be. We are afraid it will be too hot in Phoenix (mid July) and too cold in San Francisco, so we were thinking of moving more south in the bay area, perhaps near San Diego. Our ideal temperature would be somewhere around 82 degrees Fahrenheit during the day time so we can enjoy sunbathing and swimming in the pool.

I have been searching the internet but as I am in doubt of where to look geographically I have not quite found what I´m looking for yet.

Anyone out there who can be helpful and recommend some resorts?

Thank You!
Tatiana
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 06:29 AM

Most resorts in San Diego have pools. The summer temperatures in San Diego vary by month. June is generally not a good time to visit because it is cool and gloomy at the coast. July is generally nice and August is sunny and warmer. The August temps are around 75-85 along the coast.

I would recommend staying in La Jolla near the La Jolla Shores beach. There is a beautiful beach with lots of activities for teens. The LJ Shores beach is part of a preserve and the world famous Scripps Institute of Oceanography. You can snorkel, canoe, surf, swim, dive, kayak, etc.

https://www.lajollakayak.com/

https://bikeandkayaktours.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g...ia-Hotels.html

Or you could stay in Coronado which has a lovely beach. You can check out the Hotel Del Coronado, The Glorietta Bay Hotel and others. I wouldn't stay at Loew's on the Strand as it's too far from the City of Coronado and that is where you'd want to be.

http://www.sandiego.org/discover/cor...Dgbxv5jWPlv.97

This is information about the historic and iconic Hotel Del Coronado. Even if you don't stay here you can spend a fun day touring the hotel built in 1888 and still a gorgeous place

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotel_del_Coronado
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 06:34 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
"...too cold in San Francisco, so we were thinking of moving more south in the bay area, perhaps near San Diego."

Stilou, your geography is off by about 500 miles. I believe I understand what you want, that San Francisco may not be it, but San Diego is at the very bottom of California and San Francisco in the north.

Mid-July is not the best time of year for Antelope Canyon as it's monsoon season in the desert southwest and slot canyons are prone to flash flooding. When Phoenix is too hot, Las Vegas is too, so it's a tricky time of year to find that perfect weather in a place you'd like to be.

My suggestion, if you want to visit San Francisco, is to shift the whole your trip west, visit Yosemite for your park visit and enjoy the beautiful coast all the way to San Diego, which should be in the high 70s. I would also suggest the Hotel del Coronado.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 08:44 AM

I'd "third" the Hotel Del Coronado - it's just very "resort-y", on a really nice beach, close to downtown San Diego.

And yes, the deserts (Phoenix, Palm Springs, and Las Vegas (but so much of Vegas is indoors that it won't matter as much) are deadly hot in summer - upwards of 110 degrees F.

You might want to consider arranging your itinerary so you can drive down the coast from San Francisco to San Diego.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 08:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally would stick to California and forget about Las Vegas and the desert.

It will be too hot to do anything out doors after about 10AM (and earlier some days)

I'd do SF/Yosemite/Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur/San Diego

And this is from someone who loves Death Valley, Vegas and the desert -- just NOT n summer.

(and I 'fourth' the Del Coronado -- just a terrific place to stay)
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 09:26 AM

Stilou, The City of Coronado is 5 min across the bridge to downtown San Diego by car, maybe 10 min to the San Diego Zoo, and 20/25 min to La Jolla.

Coronado is a very small island, residential area so you can bicycle, go to the beach, the bay and use community services like the local community pool, boat house, golf course. The little main shopping area has restaurants, boutique shops and I am not aware of any big box stores. So it has a lot of local southern California beach charm.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 02:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I addition to the Del Coronado in San Diego, look at Santa Barbara, San Ysidro Ranch, Fess Parker, and Four Seasons. It has a micro climate that means it's weather differs from LA and it won't get as hot there. You'll want a sweater or light jacket at night. and won't get as hot as LA.
Skip Las Vegas unless you want to stay indoors in the a/c the whole time. Carmel is also cooler in the summer.
Old Sep 11th, 2016, 02:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I love Santa Barbara, recommended it today on another thread, instead of No. California. However, it seems to me that San Diego will be much more entertaining for teens. I'd choose SB for myself, but the San Diego area if my granddaughters were with me.
Old Sep 12th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I´ll take a look at the suggested areas