Girl's Trip - 30th Birthday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two closest friends & I are all turning 30 in August & September. Looking for a nice place to have a few spa treatments and hang by the pool in the afternoons. We would also like a fun place (restaurant or bar) for dinner & drinks in the evening very close to the hotel. Do not need any wild nightlife...we are all past that stage! Also needs to be easy to get to from Omaha since this will be a long weekend trip. Would love to go back to Ocean Key in Key West again, but too far to travel. Here are some ideas I had, but would love to hear others or opinions on these.

Vegas, of course. I'm thinking it may be too hot in August!

Carmel, CA - flight to San Jose on SW. Any recs or ideas?

Phoenix or Tucson?

Don Cesar at St. Pete's Beach?

Any suggestions or opinions?
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Vegas would be hot...but it would also satisfy all of your requirements. You could beat some of the heat by renting a pool cabana -- you'd be guaranteed some shade as well as good poolside service. Most of the hotels offer cabana rentals to their guests only.

Phoenix is another good idea, though I would lean towards staying in Phoenix. Only problem there is your proximity to evening activities...dinner and drinks may require a short cab ride or drive - not as walkable as Vegas.

One other option -- San Diego, CA. San Diego proper is tons of fun, while Coronado Island may provide more in the way of relaxation. Hotel Del is great and close enough to walk to restaurants/drinks, while the Loews is also extremely nice but very remote. You can reach San Diego by flying Southwest into Ontario, CA, and driving to San Diego.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Sorry...meant to say I would lean towards staying in SCOTTSDALE, not Phoenix proper.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 09:30 AM

OK, If you did consider San Diego, I had a great experience at Glen Ivy Spa, which is near San Diego. It's a day spa, but my favorite thing about it is that it has a number of different swimming pools, so you can lounge together. It's a good spa for a group:
http://www.glenivy.com/

Or what about San Francisco? You could have a great time in the city. It would be a nice place to go for a break from the heat. Shopping, restaurants. This is my favorite SF hotel--the Phoenix. It's really funky and fun. They serve breakfast poolside every morning. It's also not that expensive (it's not fancy-just clean and fun) It's famous for hosting loads of rock stars--Nirvana, David Bowie) http://www.jdvhospitality.com/hotels/hotel/12
Also, there's a great Japanese day spa in SF Kabuki Springs. I've never been but have always wanted to try-apparently they have lots of steam rooms and baths. Would be fun for a group: http://www.kabukisprings.com/
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 09:52 AM

You can fly directly into San Diego on Southwest...no need to drive from Ontario.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 12:17 PM
MaureenB

Santa Barbara has nice spas, too.

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:42 PM

If you're driving - I'd like to suggest Boulder, Colorado. Excellent new hotel and spa just opened up..www.stjulien.com. Check it out. Hiking in the mountains just outside the door, great restaurants and bars just steps away on the outdoor Pearl Street Mall. Bike paths all over the city with bike rentals right next to the hotel. August near the mountains is perfect weather!!!
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 02:06 PM

reconsider st. pete since you would be there at the height of hurricane season