Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Denver trip during Thanksgiving

Sep 22nd, 2009, 04:37 AM
mxm
Original Poster

I would love to hear some suggestions for a weeklong Denver trip during Thanksgiving.
I have a tentative plan here but would like to hear from others
Sat - arrive into Denver, overnight at Denver. What are some of the things to see in Denver. I have the following in mind - Confluence PArk, Larimer Square Colorado State Capitol, Childrens museum.
Sun - after lunch drive to Estes Park
Sun night-Mon night at Estes PArk.
What all can we see in that area - Trail Road will be closed at that time - that's what I have read.
Tues afternoon - drive to Colorado Springs
Tue-night, Wed night at Colorado Springs
Would like to see some of the following
Garden of Gods
Cog Railway
Royal Gorge Bridge
Cave of the Winds
Pikes Peak
Manitou Cliff Dwellings
Seven Falls
United States Airforce Academy

Any other ideas?

Thursday - I have open. Friends are suggesting Vail, Co instead of Colorado Springs. Keep in mind we are not into ski-ing and will be travelling with a 6 month old and a 5 year old.

Fri - return to Denver
Sat - fly out of Denver.

Waiting to ehar some suggestions.
Thanks
MXM
Sep 22nd, 2009, 07:25 AM

Re: Estes Park and Rocky Mtn National Park. Although Trail Ridge Road is closed over the top of the park, thre's still plenty of the east side of the park you can visit. Unless the weather is severe, the roads are kept clear and there are miles you can drive around and enjoy the scenic vistas. The elk are all over in the lower areas of the park, even in town, which is a sight I never get tired of seeing!

Because it's very early in the ski season, the ski towns won't be that crowded. Breckenridge is worth checking out. It's an easy drive from Denver and it's an older, more authentic town with lots of shopping, restaurants and very pretty scenery.

Do be aware that severe winter weather is possible (although not the norm) during this time and you should be flexible with your plans and keep informed of the forecast. It's rare that the highways completely shut down, but with kids, you'd probably not want to get stuck on a snowbound road!
Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:30 AM
mxm
Original Poster

Thank you for your input. Could anyone give any feedback on the rail trip from Denver to Glenwood Springs on the California Zephyr.
Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM

While the scenery on the segment of the train route is beautiful, be aware that the California Zephyr has one of the absolute worst on-time records of any Amtrak train line. Meaning, you can pretty much count on the train being late and not departing anywhere near the scheduled time.
Sep 25th, 2009, 08:54 AM

Have to agree with Hazel1 about the train's lateness, but it is an awesome ride if you have the time. Sometimes you can get a deal when you combine the train trip with a stay at the historic Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs and a pass to the wonderful hot springs pool there.

I would select Colorado Springs over Vail at that time of the year. If you don't ski, there is little to do in Vail at Thanksgiving.

Do plan a day trip to Boulder which is a beautiful town in a wonderful setting. You can walk the trail along Boulder Creek or hike in the open space above Chautaqua Park. Another great spot to visit is Red Rocks Amphitheatre just west of Denver.
Weather cannot be predicted that time of the year...plan on snow or 70 degrees and sunshine!
Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM

Have you considered Aspen instead of Vail or Co. Springs? I think Aspen will have more for you to do and look at. (Better views than the Springs, and more to do than Vail.)

Breckenridge is also a great town!
Oct 4th, 2009, 05:25 AM

Don't bother with the Children's Museum. I consider it the biggest ripoff in Denver. It's a big playroom, for a lot of money.
The Aquarium is fun--I think it is still open. The zoo is even better. Why the Capitol? Larimer Square? Denver Art Museum or the Museum of Natural History are excellent.
You'll spend a lot of time on the road with your itinerary--Estest park to CO Springs and then west. Leadville is a cute little Colorado town.
There is a wonderful dinosaur museum just west of CO Springs in Woodland Park that you and your 5 year old would enjoy.
Oct 4th, 2009, 01:12 PM

The Museum of Science would be first on my list, The Colorado History Museum is pretty cool too. I would pass on the aquarium. Also, I wouldn't drive to Aspen with the kids with the possibility of bad weather. Breckenridge would be good.
Oct 4th, 2009, 01:14 PM

did you see the recent thread on the wildlife sanctuary ?

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ears-oh-my.cfm