Search

COLORADO DRIVING

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 05:23 AM
steve

COLORADO DRIVING

I would like to visit the following places, which look relatively close to one another on an atlas: Golden Gate Canyon State Park; Idaho Springs (Indian Springs Resort); Black Hawk/Central City; Estes Park; Boulder; Winter Park/Snow Mountain Ranch and Hot Sulphur Springs. If anyone can suggest a driving itinerary ... I would be eternally grateful. Thanks ... Steve

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 03:37 PM
Lenleigh

They are all pretty close to each other, Idaho Springs is a little further into the mountains off I-70. I would pick up a good Atlas. Depends on What you want to do first?

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 02:19 PM
steve

We have very little time. We arrive on Thursday really late (no time for anything). We are there all day Friday and all day Sat. We leave Denver at 6 p.m. on Sunday. We are staying in Blackhawk. I think on Friday we are doing the Golden Gate Park, Coors Brewery, and then the Hot Springs. The next day, Saturday, we will go to Estes and then on the way back to Blackhawk, stop in Boulder. On Sunday, we may go back to the Indian Springs, or check out Denver. What do U think?

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 09:32 PM
mms

As a 30 year native of Colorado - I can say that Friday and Saturday's itinerary is possibly doable - Sunday is pretty difficult and maybe impossible if you are flying out of Denver at 6:00 pm. The airport in nearly an hour east of Denver and the security lines are often so long now - you really need to be there two hours in advance.

We have driven to Winter Park to ski in one day and back - but it is a long drive and you have no way of knowing what the traffic on I-70 will be like - on Sundays I-70 can be a parking lot especially during the summer and ski season! It will take over an hour (probably 1.5 hours) to reach Winter Park from Denver. From there it is a half hour drive south to snow mountain ranch - and if you aren't staying there, I can hardly see the point of just visiting a YMCA camp. Hot Sulpher Springs is also about 45 minutes from Winter Park but to the southwest. Its a nice place to visit but it isn't the nicest hot springs in Colorado. (Either is Indian Springs for that matter - you may be disappointed with that stop also.) I guess it would depend on what you plan to do in Winter Park. This time of year and in the spring there is hardly anything to do there. In the Winter - The skiing is great but you would need more time. If you are visiting in the summer - it is very nice and there is lots to do - but again - one short day just isn't enough.

As far as Friday and Saturday - I have never visited Golden Gate Park. My brother camps there every summer and says it is nice because it is close - but thats as much as he has ever elaborated. Again alot would depend on the time of year - Right now and in the spring it would probably be ok. THe winter - well probably not so good. Summer - Terrific! The Brewery is another place I have avoided - so no comment there. Black Hawk and Central City are fun for a short while if you like to Gamble. Estes Park is another resort town - But you could spend days in Rocky Mountain National Park and never run out of things to do no matter what the season was. It is beautiful right now and snow shoeing is just around the corner. Summer is wonderful. Spring is a little more difficult unless you are a snow shoer and the weather is very unpredictible but it is BEAUTIFUL. Boulder is a great town - Crunchie GranoloaVille - another place to spend a whole day - we love progressive dinners on the Mall, enjoying the street entertainers, appetizers at one of the brew pubs, dinner in Russia, Dessert in France. . . Terrific!!
If I had only three days in Colorado, I would: Fall: Take I-70 to Glenwood Springs, visit Breckenridge (charming) and Vail (just to see it) on the way. In Glenwood I would enjoy the Best hot springs in the Colorado, do some hiking, visit the Maroon Bells and Aspen. Winter and Spring: If I were a skier - I would head to Winter Park, Steamboat or Breckinridge - Wonderful Hot SPrings in Steamboat, if thats important. If not a skiier I would Stay in Denver or Boulder and Take day trips like you have laid out - Idaho Springs, Boulder, and Estes Park and skip Winter park. Summer: I would spend all three days in Rocky Mountain National Park or WinterPark/Breckinridge.

Have a great time!

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 09:35 PM
mms

oops just reread your note and see you are staying in BlackHawk and not Denver. That will make your trip to Winterpark much shorter - probably just an hour if traffic is moving. I still don't know if I would try to do that in a day trip - especially if I had to catch a flight later.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:40 AM
steve

Thanks so much for all of the information. It looks like I will have to take a second trip to Colorado during the winter months. I had already heard from others that this is not the best time to visit, but I think I will try to spend as much time as possible in Estes Park (that's part of the Rocky Mountain National Park, right?) Thanks again.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:25 AM
travellyn

Estes Park is right outside RMNP. No lodging in the national park.