Suggestions for a great NY hotel

Apr 15th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Suggestions for a great NY hotel

I am travelling to NYC on Sept 30 for 4 nights from Australia with my 11 year old son.I am looking for a hotel to $300 per night(for the right hotel I would pay more) in the times square area as we are going to a broadway show (Spamalot at the Shubert theatre),the Manhattan Comprehensive tour with Grayline,and have a 2 day All-Loop hop On,Hop Off City Sightseeing tour also with Grayline so it would help if the Grayline pick up point at 777 8th Ave between 47th & 48th St was within walking distance, and possibly the last baseball game of the season.I really want to make New York special as it is our first visit to your city my 4th to the US.I have previously booked The Belvedere for $299 per night but have been told this is way too much,I eagerly await your suggestions.
Apr 16th, 2006, 08:38 AM

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza - Times Square a couple of month ago and were pleased with both the hotel and location.

http://www.manhattan.crowneplaza.com/nycmh/index.shtml

Rich
Apr 16th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Right now prices for those dates are very high. If I were just picking hotels without checking prices, I would chose
>the Doubletree Suites in Times Square is an all suite hotel (separate sitting room and bedroom) which yields 2 tvs and some nice views. Very popular with families.
>The Marriott Marquis has large rooms, floor to ceiling windows and awesome views. This is also the place with the rotating rest. at the top. (overpriced and not great food, but great views and good buffet dessert.

>The Renaissance is another good TS option with good views.

If you want to stay outside the immediate Times Square craziness, the Michelangelo and the Blakely are smaller, more elegant hotels within a short walk of TS. They don't offer the views though. The last 2 appear to be within your budget on quikbook. Don't know about the first group.
Apr 16th, 2006, 09:57 AM

If you're looking for Yankee tickets for Toronto on those dates you should get them now - if they're not already sold out (Yankees sell out most games - esp the end of the year running up to the playoffs). Go to Yankees.com and it wil lead you to the official ticket sale site.
Apr 16th, 2006, 10:18 AM

I would sugggest the Doubletree Suites in TS or the Marriott Marquis as good choices in the area and certainly in your price range. Both overlook the heart of Times Square.

Lots of restaurants in the area and for your Son, a fun dinner or lunch is Ellen's Stardust, just a few blocks up broadway. It's a diner where the servers are aspiring broadway performers, so you get some good food and entertainment.

Right across the street from there is Mars 2112 a futuristic restaurant with ok food but probably a must for an 11 year old.

A recommendation would be to take the Staten Island Ferry at dusk to see the lights of the city, walk around the South St Seaport to see the Tall Ships, take a water taxi from there aound the southern end of the island to the Financial District, walk the boardwalk there and then walk up through the World Trade Area. Head up to Broadway and to your right a couple of blocks down is Wall St and Trinity Church and to your left a couple of block up is City Hall, and a few more blocks up is Chinatown and Little Italy.

YOu also might want to see the Liberty Science Center in New Jersey and there is a ferry over and back from the Financial Area. Great hands on exhibits for kids there and the ferry ride over is fun.

The Museum of Natural History is a great place for kids lots of interesting exhibits there AND the IMAX theatre.

There is a second IMAX theatre in town on Broadway and 68th St. I saw the most recent Harry Potter there, that was alot of fun.

Have a great time while you are here.
Apr 25th, 2006, 05:09 AM
bergers4

A great B & B(does have it's own Bathroom)is Broadway Inn. We loved it and they also have a great contential breakfast every morning. The service was great, amazing location.. try www.broadwayinn.com. We had our 2 older kids with us @ the time and had the 2 bedroom room for a great price. Was close to everything . good luck!