Going to New York with family

Jun 3rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Going to New York with family

My family and I are going to New York in June for 4 days. I'm wondering if someone could help me with a possible itinerary? We will be celebrating a birthday when there and the birthday girl wants chinese. Any suggestions? Not too expensive, yet good. We are seeing Wicked that evening.
Kids want to explore and see Ground Zero, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty,, shopping, etc.... looking for suggestions also on fast breakfasts in the morning.
Thanks for any help!
Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:32 PM

Hi JanieSue,

A couple of things would be helpful - what age range are the family members? What general area is your hotel?
As far as breakfasts, just venture out of your hotel - you can grab bagels/muffins from street carts and there are delis with breakfast bars and counters everywhere you turn - not memorable dining, but fast and easy.

Blindly, I will just throw out a couple of suggestions that are always big hits with the preteen-teen set that we regularly take to NY - the days are in no particular order, just to give you a starting point so I am grouping it by geography, to try to minimize travel - note also that I am NOT including things that I would suggest for your and/or spouse, I am looking at it from the kids perspective, so obvious things like MOMA, Guggenheim, etc aren't here - but may be perfectly fabulous for your family interests:

Times Square area - the kids will love the Toys-R-Us, Hershey's Store, M&M World, MTV Store, etc. If you have a budding Hannah Montana, check out Spotlight Live (www.spotlightlive.com) - my idea of Hell and overpriced bad food, but my niece still says it was the highlight of her life! I like to eat at Thalia's pre-theater, but there are many options - see other threads.
Empire State Bldg - after the tour, go west on 34th towards Macy's Herald Square - you will hit tons of stores - all the chains, plus H&M and smaller, cheap stores that are likely to appeal to teens/tweens - go past Macy's to grab a frozen yogurt at Pinkberry's (www.pinkberry.com)- it's a love-it-or-hate-it place with foodies, but your daughter will have read about it in the teen mags and enjoy.
Downtown - head to Canal Street in Chinatown - overwhelming crowds on weekends and you guys may be intimidated by the street hustlers trying to sell you fake Gucci, but a fascinating experience - go down Broadway to Soho for more shopping - teens will like Yellow Rat Bastard and the many hip-hop-y stores along the way and Scholastic Store is a good break with younger kids.From there, head downtown to Ground Zero and walk over to Battery Park for the Statue of Liberty tour - look into the Statue hours/length - some kids are happy just taking a photo from Battery Park and skipping the ferry. Note that TKTS has a booth at South Street Seaport and you may want to walk over there to see if you can score additional tickets on the cheap.
With more info, I will try to help more. Here are some other popular things with my crowd:
- Max Brenner's (usually the Union Square or Lower East Side location). It's paradise for chocoholics!
- If you wind up in the Rock. Ctr area, American Girl store, NBA store and Nintendo World are all really close and may be of interest. If you have any TV addicts to buy for, the NBC store is a good place for gifts.

Jun 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great info! My kids are all teenagers and we are staying in the
Times Square area.
My husband and I have been to New York a couple of times many years ago, so we are somewhat familiar, but really want to plan a great trip with our kids.What time would you plan dinner if our show is at 8pm on Sat? Is Chinatown to far to go and will it be hard to get a cab?
Thanks for your help. Oh, by the way, my son LOVES Hannah Montana!
Jun 4th, 2008, 09:27 AM

Some might say Chinatown is too far to go, but if you go early (arrive in mid to late afternoon to explore Mott St, sit down to eat 4:30-5:00PM) you can get uptown in time for your show. I'd be on my way uptown by about 7:15.

You don't say how many in your group--most cabs take no more than 4 people at a time. However, Saturday night in Times Square can be a traffic nightmare. The subway would probably be faster and cost the same or less. From the Chinatown area, it's a easy subway ride to Times Square (N, Q, R, or W from Canal St).
Jun 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight on going to Chinatown on a Saturday. Maybe that's not the time to go.
Do you have any suggestions on where to celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday before we see the show? She really wanted chinese, but we'd be up for going anywhere where they'd have a good variety of entrees to choose from. We are a party of 5.

Jun 4th, 2008, 06:30 PM

A possibility for the birthday dinner might be Ruby Foo's (49th and B'way) if it's not out of your budget. I think a 16 year old would like it and it's not far from the theater.

www.brguestrestaurants.com
Jun 4th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Looks great! Although maybe a bit pricey. Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Jun 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM

Here are a few ideas depending on your tastes and/or budget:

Todais is a national chain of seafood buffet restaurants. For about $25 each guest will have unlimited seafood, Korean BBQ, sushi, grilled meats and desserts. Because of the large variety, can be a crowd pleaser. http://www.todai.com/OLD/index.htm

For Asian fusion cuisine served family style you could try out China Grill on 53rd and 6th Avenue. This has the advantage of being within walking distance and eliminating the need for a cab (which will be problematic with 5 of you, as noted above). The entrees are pretty tasty and the atmosphere is sort of young, trendy and modern which might appeal to your daughter and should give her the feel of a grown-up night out. Without drinks, I think 6 family style entrees will run you about $160 before tax & tip.

For food and activity, Dave & Busters is right in the heart of Time Square. I can't comment on the food personally but my little brother had his 18th birthday there and good time was had by all (think video games and virtual reality games meets bar food).

Hope you have a great time!
Jun 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM

I can't pass up a chance to promote the Lower East Side Tenement Museum:

http://www.tenement.org/

Easily combined with a visit to Katz's Deli, Chinatown and Little Italy, or further on to Soho.
Jun 9th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Where could I get a cake for my daughter's 16th birthday in the Times Square area? Actually, I'm up for any suggestions. Just want it to be special for her.
Thanks!
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM

The cupcake cafe makes beautifully decorated cakes with elaborate floral designs made from buttercream frosting. They're located at 9th ave and 39th st and only take cash.

More conventional ice cream cakes can be had at Ben & Jerry's on 8th ave at 44th st.
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM

janie-O just got back and posted my trip report from taking my 16 year old for her birthday.It is under heading trip report with teen.have fun!
Jun 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Lisa,

I've read your post. Sounds like you had a fab time! Can't wait to take my family. I love your Tiffany ring gift. Think I may do the same for my daughter. How special! I can't wait.

Just really need to find the right place for dinner for her birthday. Not too pricey as we have 5 of us.We are seeing Wicked that night as well.
Jun 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM

I would avoid food chains in NY. There is so much variety of food, especially ethnic food at all prices. Why eat something you can have at home?
Jun 9th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Where would you recommend that might have a little bit of everything. I have picky eaters. (3 teenagers)
I would like to avoid the chains as well.
What would be the minimum that I could possibly plan on spending on dinner for 5 people?
Thanks!
Jun 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM

A place like Veselka in the East Village has Eastern European specialities but also has burgers and pancakes.

Big Wong in Chinatown has spicy chow fun but also has spare ribs and other recognizable foods.

Xunta, a tapas restauran has a big menu. It haas three different types of tortillas (Spanish omelets) and dates wrapped in bacon (a personal favorite) but they have patacas bravas (fried potatoes with a sauce on the side) meatballs, and sausage.

Lombardi's could be the best in the city.

Blue Ribbon Bakery literally something for everyone.
Jun 9th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Lombardi's could be the best pizza in the City. Pizza Fresca is a quieter place with other Italian dishes.

Tontonno's pizza uptown is almost as good as the original in Coney Island.

Cafe Deville and Flea Market are French bistros with burgers, steak frites, chicken and salads plus moule frites.
Jun 10th, 2008, 06:31 AM

Janie-We ate at The View-in the lounge section.It was $29 a person for buffet.The food was okay but the view was awesome.It was nice not to be far from the shows too.The View is in the Marriott Marquis(which is in Times Sq. with Bank of America and Kodak advertised on the front).We went around 6pm.You could stay for an hour or more and then be leisurely to the show.I am sure if you called they could do a cake or something for the birthday girl.
Jun 10th, 2008, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Lisa,
I checked the website on The View in the lounge area. Did you make reservations? Looks like you can only make them for the restaurant itself and not the lounge.
Thanks for your help.