Suggestions for a 7 Day roadtrip AFTER Rafting the Coloroado

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2022, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are 3 fit adult outdoorsy women looking for suggestions for a 7 day road trip after we raft the Colorado River in September. Our beginning and end location of the road trip will be Las Vegas. We do not want to travel more than 3-4 hours in any one day, and prefer to see varied environments. Just starting research, and open to all suggestions!

Thanks!
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 06:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Your car rental begins and ends in Las Vegas but what section of the river are you planning on rafting? Lets hope there is enough water in the river for a thrilling trip. The upper intake for water to go through Hoover Dam just got exposed for the first time in decades. Places I have seen rafters on the river include from about 10 miles upstream of Glenwood Springs Colorado, Downstream from Grand Junction CO down through the Ruby Canyon into Utah.
The last group of rafters that I saw before their trip was at a motel I was staying at in Flagstaff AZ. I'm guessing they were headed to Page AZ to embark from there.
Whatever rafting company you choose, make sure that they get you back to your car in a condition that you are safe to drive.
Assuming that you are rafting in Arizona, I would suggest going through Monument Valley and then heading north to Moab to see Arches NP, Canyonlands, and at least one other of the "Big Five".
coming back to Las Vegas stop to see Valley of Fire State park in Nevada.
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 06:33 AM

I second the idea of seeing the national parks in Utah: Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, and Arches. September is an excellent time to visit them as they won't be as crowded and the weather should be good.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 02:18 PM

I would want to see all the parks mentioned above ani it could be done in seven days bit would involve a couple of longer drives. Arches and Canyonlands are my favorites but are the farthest from Vegas. If you are willing to make the 7 ish hour drive from Vegas first I would head there then go to Monument Valley, then Page (Antelope Canyon) then Bryce and Zion and back to Vegas.

This would be pretty rushed, but if you want to make it a first trip to see what you will come back to or if you just want to check them off as been there/done that it could be done.

There are loads of Trip Reports here that give lots of advice on various circle routes from Vegas check them out and decide what interests you most. Atypical short one might be Vegas to Bryce to Page to Monument Valley to Zion to Vegas.

Once you figure out what you most want to see, check on where lodging is available nearby. It may be too late to get what you want at the times you want, but remember you are doing a loop which could be done in either direction.

There are other State and National parks along the way or close to Vegas that you might want to see too. Like Vallet of Fire SP, Red Rock Canyon NM, and even Death Valley NP is just 3 hours from Vegas in the other direction.

Best wishes for a fantastic trip.
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

We put in at Lees Ferry and take out at Whitmore Wash. Outfitter includes transportation from Las Vegas to Page, AZ for put in, and from Whitmore Wash to either Page, AZ or Las Vegas after take out. We do have the option not to go back to Las Vegas with the outfitter, but then we did not have the option to leave a bag with "land" clothes somewhere, and there are no cars available from the one rental company for the dates we need. But I'm open to ideas!
Old Apr 30th, 2022, 07:00 PM

You probably will be better off cost wise just doing a loop from Vegas since you are flying from there. There are usually drop fees for returning a car from a different site from the one you got it at, but occasionally the company wants cars moved and they waive it. li does not hurt to try again as people cancel reservations all the time.

you might also try AAA or another travel agent to see if they get special deals.
Old May 1st, 2022, 12:13 PM
J62

So you're rafting the Colorado through the Grand Canyon (there are other sections of the river that can be rafted). Your trip will either be a 1 week trip if it's a motorized raft, or 2 weeks if float/oar/paddle powered. Eitherway it's definitely a bucket list experience no matter how you slice it.

After the GC at its finest you're likely to both enjoy the other parks for their own beauty, or hate them for the crowds.... For me a float trip through the GC "ruined" any future crowded park experience for me. Not really, but you'll know what I mean after you've been there....

Old May 1st, 2022, 07:42 PM

"I would head there then go to Monument Valley, then Page (Antelope Canyon) then Bryce and Zion and back to Vegas."
Great list here.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Made the decision to rent a car out of Las Vegas because there is only ONE rental car company in Page, AZ and with them (an Avis franchise) they require pick up and drop
off at their Page location.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

I gather that everyone feels that Bryce, Zion & Monument Valley are better than going to the parks in Nevada; Death Valley, Joshua Tree, and Fossil Beds?
Old May 3rd, 2022, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone direct me to any blogs or trip reports doing a circle out of Las Vegas?
Old May 3rd, 2022, 01:04 PM
J62

Originally Posted by MissyT
Can anyone direct me to any blogs or trip reports doing a circle out of Las Vegas?
here's a few
Driving from: Long Beach to Henderson NV, Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Monument Valley
Need help with circular route and itinerary for Utah NP’s
Utah 5 NPs and Antelope-End of April
Utah NP Itinerary Help
Old May 3rd, 2022, 01:23 PM

Just put Utah Trip Reports into the search box on the page with the list of threads.
Old May 5th, 2022, 08:04 PM

You can search my user name for review on all Utah NPs. They are trips with kids--but have info for all!
Old May 6th, 2022, 08:13 AM

Just wanted to add that if you are a Costco member, they usually have pretty good prices on the Costco travel site. Also I always book cars very early and use a site called autoslash to track the rental. You can put it the rental details you booked and they will send you emails if and when prices fall. It is less useful in these days with Covid but I have saved a fair amount of money sometimes using them