Need help with circular route and itinerary for Utah NP’s

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2022, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be flying in and out of Las Vegas Sept-Oct. to visit Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Arches and Canyonlands. Also like to visit Goblin Valley, Valley of the Fire, and Dead Horse Point. Would like to plan our route so we are visiting some of the parks going and some on the way back to Las Vegas without backtracking. Any ideas on the best circular order to visit the parks.

From reading other posts we are planning 3 nights at Zion staying in Springdale, 1 night in the park at Bryce, 2 nights in Torrey for Capital Reef, Escalante and Goblin Valley, and 4-5 nights in Moab to visit Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point. We have the freedom to add a few more days if this is too rushed or to change number of nights for any of the above.

Have been to Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly on a previous trip so not looking to add them this trip.
Thanks for your help and input.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 03:10 PM

If you want to turn it into a loop, here's an idea of what you could do by adding a few more nights https://goo.gl/maps/jB8itjoCzpE5KtTb8

The order would be Vegas-Bryce-Torrey-Moab-Bluff-Springdale-Vegas. I know you mentioned you've already been to Monument Valley but did you do anything else in this area? There's a lot more to see in the Four Corners area other than MV. I have a trip report where we based in Bluff for 4 nights and went to Natural Bridges, Bears Ears, Valley of the Gods, Goosenecks and Hovenweep if you're interested A fall meander from TX to CA

If the drive from Bluff to Springdale is too long, you could break it up with a night in Page. From Page you could see Antelope Canyon (visits are by guided tour only) or hike in the southern part of Grand Staircase Escalante. Paria Rimrocks aka Toadstools is an easy short hike to some hoodoos https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/u...-hoodoos-trail.
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 03:56 AM

Since it is a loop, you can do it in either direction. Zion first or Moab first depending on what works best with lodging choices and flights. Assuming you do not want to spend much time in Vegas, if you flew in by noon, you could be in Zion before sundown, or on your way to Moab. If you get in later in the day, then look for lodging on the north side of town to avoid some traffic on heading out in the morning.

Likewise with your return flight. If it is very early, you will need to be near the airport the night before.

You might want to take a swing through Valley of Fire State park, a short drive north of Vegas on your way to or from Vegas.
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 06:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The two other places in the Las Vegas region that you might want to visit are the Red Rocks area west of LV and Hoover Dam. There is a shortcut on the west side of Lake Mead from Hoover Dam to get to Valley of Fire without going back to LV to get on the interstate. Since you don't want to go back to the south rim of the Grand Canyon, you could stop on the north rim on the way back from Moab.
Goblin Valley State Park is a 1 to 2 hour side trip off your route from Capitol Reef NP to Moab. Canyonlands NP has several sections. I only visited the Island in the Sky section which was an easy day trip from Moab.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

I read your report and trip suggestions and plan to add a few days for several other places using Bluff as our base. We may try to add N Grand Canyon before heading back to Vegas but will probably wait and see how that plays out. Do you know the drive time from Bluff to Springdale?

Thanks for all your suggestions. Easier to plan when getting tips from people that have been there.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for suggestion of doing trip in reverse. Trying to coordinate this with dates of bike race in Moab, Utah school break and report that there is timed entrance tickets for Arches until Oct. 3. Probably do Valley of Fire on our way back to Vegas.
Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

We definitely want to stop at Hoover Dam. Last time we were there was two weeks after 9/11 and we were not allowed to take the tour. Appreciate knowing about the shortcut for Valley of Fire to save drive time. Still tossing around the idea of North Grand Canyon but haven’t researched it yet either. Is this a one day stop?
Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 02:48 PM

Bluff to Springdale is about 5 hours.

We stayed one night at the North Rim Lodge and felt that was enough time. We hiked the afternoon we got there and the next morning drove the scenic drive and did another hike. I would try to stay at the rim if possible. Our cabin was fairly basic but it's hard to beat the location and view from the main lodge and terrace. The lodge is open until October 15th.

Old Jan 29th, 2022, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

That view convinced me if we are that close we need to visit. Sounds like one night will be perfect. Thanks.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 12:37 PM

If there's no availability now keep checking. I had to check repeatedly and lucked into a cancellation.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 12:43 PM

The view depicted are from the dining room and patio nearby. I'm not sure which if any rooms have views.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 12:55 PM

That's correct the photos are from the public areas (that's not the dining room but the dining room also had nice views). Our cabin didn't have a view but I believe there are cabins closer to the rim that do.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Was able to book a cabin at north rim lodge. Room view not that important when you can sit on the terrace.
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Patty
That's correct the photos are from the public areas (that's not the dining room but the dining room also had nice views). Our cabin didn't have a view but I believe there are cabins closer to the rim that do.
Oh, I think it is the lobby?

Congrats on your booking, OP.

We walked over in our PJs in the morning and had coffee on the patio. The night before there was a spectacular lightning storm.
Old Feb 1st, 2022, 12:51 PM

It's behind and down some stairs from reception and adjacent to the patio. I'm not sure what to call it but it's a nice space to hang out.

That's great, sharonab!
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Patty...would like to clarify one thing, for circular route you put Springdale at the end then back to LV. So from the north rim we would drive to Springdale and visit Zion and Valley of Fire then Vegas to fly home? If we decide to add a few hours at Hoover Dam where would that fit in? Someone mentioned a shortcut from Lake Mead to Springdale.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 08:27 AM

The main routes to the North Rim are from either Kanab (between Bryce and Zion) and also a place I like to stay; or through Page and Marble Canyon. I have never done the tricky backroads other than Burr Trail Switchbacks into Capitol Reef.

Nevada 167 (Northshore Road) to Hoover Dam Visitor Center from Valley of Fire bypasses the Interstate . It saves a little time especially if you were going to V of Fire anyways.
Old Feb 2nd, 2022, 02:59 PM

You don't necessarily have to put Springdale at the end. I did it to put you a little farther from Vegas on your way out (4 hours to Bryce) and a little closer to Vegas (2.5-3 hours from Springdale) on your way back. But you can do it whichever way works better depending on the timing of your flights. I wasn't sure if you were planning to stay in Vegas on either end or depart/return directly to the airport.

If you leave Springdale at the end, then yes you could go from the North Rim to Springdale and visit Valley of Fire on your way from Springdale to Vegas. I'm not familiar with the Lake Mead shortcut but looking at the map, the route mlgb describes seems like the best option if you're planning to visit Valley of Fire and Hoover Dam on the same day.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for directions.
Old Feb 3rd, 2022, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

We are not planning to spend any time in Las Vegas this trip. Thanks for all your help in planning the best route for us. Excited and looking forward to our trip.