Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

According to AAA, 240-mile grand loop from Denver via Boulder, Estes Park, Grand Lake and Idaho Springs offers one of the most impressive circular trips in the nation. Is it TRUE?

Search

According to AAA, 240-mile grand loop from Denver via Boulder, Estes Park, Grand Lake and Idaho Springs offers one of the most impressive circular trips in the nation. Is it TRUE?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Lev
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
We are planning a trip to Colorado for 8 days in the beginning of August. We’d like to fly to Denver, rent a car and drive to Rocky Mountain National Park and Grand Lake area. Our goal: to hike in the National Park we never been before and swim in the lake.
When I opened the AAA tour book I found out that there is a 240-mile grand loop from Denver via Boulder, Estes Park, Grand Lake and Idaho Springs that they highly recommend. Did anyone take this loop and would you recommend us to do it?
If you do, please give us your recommendation on where and how long to stay in each place and what to see?
Thanks you very much.
Lev.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 02:33 PM

If you go through Grand Lake, up through Winter Park, then: (1) past Idaho Springs on I70 to Denver, or (2)turn in Idaho Springs and go over the new paved (formerly "Oh My God") Highway to Central City, then 119 back to Boulder or (Hway 6) to Golden? I would take the #2 by the way, it's really beautiful (then either way back to Denver).
Swimming in that lake will be very cold, though I've seen kids do it in the town of Grand Lake. When do you get back to Denver? You could end your stay in Winter Park (the ski area's fun in the summer), less than an hour from Grand Lake, then take a long leisurely day-long trip back to Denver via the road mentioned (#2), stopping for a mine tour or in the tiny almost-ghost towns near Central City. Or, take two days and also check out Georgetown and it's loop railway (cool mine tour midway), or a different mine tour, or scramble for minerals, or gamble in Blackhawk and Central City, or do the hot springs mineral caves in Idaho Springs--there's way too much to list!
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 03:49 PM

We've done much of this loop - I prefer the Million Dollar Highway and the Ouray/Silverton/Durango/Telluride loop better.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:35 AM

I have done the loop and enjoyed it very much.

I don't know where you live, but the altitude in RMNP gives headaches to some people from the flatlands and absolutely saps the energy of others. Plan to drink lots and lots of water, since it is very dry.