Stupid GTG question.

Search

Stupid GTG question.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stupid GTG question.

I am not very active on the Fodors forums, I notice that there will be a GTG in my hometown (Toronto, Canada) in summer.

I am debating whether to go. I recently saw some pictures of a San Frnacisco.

Can fodorites who have attended GTGs let me know what experiences they have had. Do people attend in groups/solo? Do Fodor's staff attend?

Any info would be appreciated.

PS - I think there should be a forum for Dumb questions like this.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM

There is a forum for dumb questions like this - the Fodorite Lounge. (Actually that's more of a commentary on the lounge than the question!)

We are having a GTG in Park City, Utah in April. So far there are just three of us, all solo, and there will be no Fodor's staff. It's nice to put a face to the names and talk about travel over a good meal.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM

A gtg is just that...a get together for people who like fodors.com.

I have been to numerous GTGs- big oneswhere you need reservations (Bosoton, Pasadena) and little ones with just one couple or a few people for a last minute lunch.

I have gone solo to all but on.

These are strictly off-the-forum gatherings..Fodor's will send some swag if asked, but they don't sponsor or arrange the GTGs.

Ususally GTGs take place in a public restaurant. Participants may split the cost if it is a family style (eg Chinese, Thai) meal, or may pay separately for what they eat and drink.

I have made some wonderful friends at GTGs- not a single internet axe murderer among them!

My first GTG was surprising in that it turned out I already knew three of the participants; not under their fodor name, but in real life...

I spent two weeks in Vietnam and Thailand last year with a woman I met at a Honolulu GTG, and we are going back to SE ASia again this year with another fodorite.

Even my daughter attending college in Boston has benefitted from my Fodorite friends. Two families offered to be emergency local contacts for her (We're a long way from Boston...), and she was able to store some boxes in a Fodorite's attic one summer.

If you have a chance, you should go! Follow simple internet safety rules: Meet in a public place, take along a friend if you don't feel totally comfortable being on you own, and bring small change so you can pay your bill without drama.

Good lucK!
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:25 AM

Someone may decide to go for your kidneys:

rkkwan.zenfolio.com/p293723050/?photo=927380247

Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM

When I was getting ready for the first Boston GTG a few years ago, my 16-year-old son was concerned, and said, "If you come home without a kidney, don't say we didn't warn you!"
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Nothing formal. No Fodors staff (unless maybe they just happen to be in town at the time). Most people go single or w/ a SO, but sometimes they bring a non-fodorite friend along (either to drive, give moral support, or protect them from the internet axe murderers )

Really very easy to attend and meet other folks and have a nice meal w/o any obligations one way or the other.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM

SWilliams,

Hi! Actually BarbaraS is the only other Fodorite I've met (so far) and I consider her and her husband friends!

I have introduced Fodors to some of my long time friends and now they lurk/post here and there.

GTGs are fun. I'd go to more it they were close enough.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:03 AM

I went to the mini-Toronto GTG last year and I can tell you the Toronto crowd is absolutely wonderful!

I've been to 4 GTG's in the past year and it's a nice way to put faces to names and be able to chat one-on-one with folks (instead of here where everything you say is up for strutiny by anyone and everyone).

They are normally held at a public place (restaurants usually) and folks meet at the restaurant. Numbers range from 4 or 5 to unlimited.

Most folks attend alone, with an SO or a friend - you usually don't see a whole group of folks arriving together.

They're casual affairs for the most part with lots of food, wine and conversation and they usually last 2-4 hours.

One word of caution: If you do go, be prepared to become more hooked onto this forum. It's much harder to walk away from here when you've met the people you're chatting with.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM

Anon - funny, my 17 year old dtr gave me the same lecture I have given her about not meeting in person people you know from chat rooms.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM

There are no formal rules, and every GTG is different. Most of GTG are in a restaurant. This of it as of a school reunion - you think you know everybody, but they look different

The topics of discussions can be any. Mostly travels - this is what we have in common.

I don't think Fodor's employees had attended any, but to some GTGs "goodies" are sent: travel books, folding totes, what else?

People attend solo, in pairs if the spouse/partner agree to come, some bring in friend(s). Both genders, all ages.

In some way, it's like a group blind date, only when you say your nickname, it's like, oh, I "know" you!

You can either continue debating, or just come in, you will share a meal with a bunch of strangers, but leave a bunch of friends behind.

It's not easy for some people to come to the first GTG. It was difficult for me as I had no idea what to expect. It was difficult for others, and one Fodorite told me in e-mail: I will come only if you promise to hold my hand.

If you don't come to a GTG you will never know what you're missing.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great replies.

lcuy, it's quite funny that you meet some people that you knew (but didn't know they were fodories) at a GTG.

The Toronto GTG is on August 9, I wonder what surprises I'll have at the GTG.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:03 PM
OO

This will be the first of many SWilliams. Like the website itself, they are addicting.

AnnMarie...DH wore your mask when he scalped the lawn a couple of weeks ago. Thank you! ...Hmm...scalping...that might be something else for us to consider? LOL
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Hey rkkwan, I resemble that remark!

LOL, OO, what are you doing this summer? I hear there's a GTG in Toronto.

SWillams, I have been to three and enjoyed each one immensely. The Fodorites I've met are smart, funny, creative, and, of course, well traveled! Go and enjoy. ...out of curiosity, what is your blood type??? ;-)
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Hello SWilliams, I have met so many wonderful Fodorites at various events I have lost count. I just said to Toedtoes, after our Fodor's GTG in SF Saturday evening, I need to make a list of all the Fodorites that I know know, meaning having meant in person not just on the Fodor's website. I can truly say that every Fodorite I have met has been a true joy and a wonderful person. And many have become true friends.

Going to a GTG solo is just as comfortable as going with someone else as Fodorite's that attend GTG's, at least in all of my experiences, are friendly and full of fun and always hold interesting converations.

I envy you that your hometown is Toronto. There are very lovely Fodorites in Toronto as Toedtoes' stated. So if I live in or near Toronto I would RSVP for their next GTG.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:51 PM

I've only been to two mini GTGs, both in Toronto and they've been great.

Oh come, SWilliams -- I'm sure you'll have a good time.

See you there, I hope!
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM

It is normal to be a bit nervous before the first GTG, I had a good chuckle since someone suspected I was the obnoxious male Fodorite from out of state!

I have enjoyed every GTG I attended in the US and overseas, most Fodorites are like-minded gentlepeople, intelligent, sociable and fun to be around. I have also attended non-food related mini-GTGs at art shows, musical events, neigborhood walks and popping into their work place (Hawaii) because they couldn't get time off. My DH accompanies me occasionally and my DS visiting from overseas went to one with me despite speaking no english. At one GTG, the Fodorite brought his family and his smart young DD demanded to be a Fodorite!

Make sure there are 2 people taking photos, our photographer at the Dec 07 NYC went MIA (I wish her well) and I'm still kicking myself for not taking pix. An editor attended that GTG and he brought us mini folding NYC maps which came in very useful for me on public transportation.

What do you think of the SF GTG pix? Oh, and we also carpool in N. Cal including picking up out of towners from the airport and their hotels.
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 02:21 PM

SWilliams, I can understand your questions. I was filled with them myself until recently. Went to my first one on Monday, and I've only been on Fodor's a couple of months. Just sort of bit the bullet and flew up to SF by myself and I am soooooo glad I did. It was wonderfully amazing! Everyone was so nice and friendly. I didn't want it to end!

I will now attend any that I possibly can, and hope to one pulled together in my own area soon!

All I can say is don't miss it if you can help it!

Old Mar 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM

I've enjoyed all the GTGs I've gone to--and I've gone solo. I have even had GTGs with just me and one other Fodorite because no one else could make it! This happens a lot!

I'm with lcuy--this board, and GTGs, will show you just how small the world really is.

I'm one of the fodorites traveling to SE Asia with them this May. I've stayed overnight at a Fodorite's home in Maryland, and gone to Kauai with a buncha Fodorites for a GTG, staying overnight in that condo. I haven't had my kidney ripped out yet (to my knowledge), but my liver might be quaking.....
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I must say, the people from ottowa are wonderful and so friendly. I haven't met any(ottowa}from fodors but from a few other forums.
A now some of my BEST friends I met from Fodors.
GO!!!!
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 06:36 PM

Hello,

I am out of hiding since my fall on the lava field, some of you may recall my confession.

I will patiently wait for a GTG in Mississippi.

Karin