Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Boston Mini GTG; and No, not all Internet friends are axe murderers!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though this happened in Needham, MA., I figured it needed a posting here for obvious reasons.

On March 23rd, I attended my first GTG in New England with the well know RHKKMK, aka Bob and his wife Karen.

Following Bob's perfectly written instructions (no, I'm not being funny, they were absolutely and perfectly detailed, with the exception of spelling Back Bay Station "Back Back" Station), I caught the Needham local from Boston. The $3.50, 20 minute trip was smooth and from my upper level seat, I had a nice view of New England homes, parks, churches, and emerging spring greenery.

A quick walk brought me to their home. Would these be perverted Internet stalkers and I their solo female victim? I wasn't sure, but their home looked so charming that my Realtor instincts said it was safe to knock.

What nice people!! From our first hugs, I knew that I was in for a fun lunch. Bob is just like he sounds on-line and Karen is the sort of woman you immediately want as a friend. I now know why they seem to make friends with every hotel GM and business owner in Asia!

We took a leisurely drive through Needham, including a detour thru Olin College. Bob pointed it out, saying many people had never heard of it, but I am friends with the parents of two of the founding class students! Had no idea it was in Needham.

Lunch was at an Indian reataurant- Great choice Bob!- and I wish they had a branch in Honolulu. (BTW, what was the name?)

We talked about India, Thailand, Italy, Hawaii and many trips to other spots. Bob and Karen have met so many of you that it was like catching up with family gossip. It definitely convinced me to attend the fall GTG.

After lunch, we did more cruising in Needham and Wellsely. The only place I've ever been is to in New England is Boston, so these small towns with their huge homes, big trees and charming main streets were a real treat to me. I kept thinking, "I could live here", but then I realized I was freezing in the 60 degree sunshine...I'd never last a winter there . New Englanders are tough.

Said my goodbyes to Bob in Needham, then Karen was even so nice as to drive me back into Boston!

Thanks RHKKMK!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:05 PM

Jeane and I are having our 4th mini-GTG with Bob and Karen this Sunday (not including 2 Cambridge/Boston GTG's). Of course, living in Connecticut makes it easy to for us to meet half way. We can vouch that Bob and Karen are not axe murderers or perverted internet stalkers. We've never actually been to Needham - I'll leave it to Gpanda to explain why. This forum and the relationships developed from it have been a remarkable source of information and new friends for us. We look forward to many more great experiences in the future.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:26 PM

Thanks for your report, Lcuy. I've yet to meet Bob and the east coast Fodorites, but look forward to a time when I do. I loved the get together in Honolulu and hope for more Fodors GTGs!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:40 PM

BE WARNED.... we are sharpening up the ax....who will be next...

thanks lucy for the nice compliments...so i can't spell and rarely proof read.....we loved meeting you and enjoyed our visit....i also loved the HI goodie bag you brought to me and karen loved the orchid lei which you presented to her....

we were delighted to share our space with you and to show at least one fodorite that needham is not the end of the earth and is quite civilized...

the restaurant is marsala art on great plain avenue in needham, opposite the town hall building....

we hope you and others will join us on october 7 in cambridge for our big boston GTG....it should be fun....
visas are available at the door and they are free and no picture is required....
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask...will the big GTG have a theme? Perhaps "Internet Stalkers Anonymous" or to acknowledge the long running Bangkok discussion "Down by the Riverside" might be appropriate. or to humour Gpanda "Netizens Knocking Needham"?
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 02:42 AM

Lcuy-do not fall prey to the few charms of the Needham Nasty. If he managed to get through an entire meal without some grotesque impropriety (I'm using words he's unlikely to recognize, it's part of a deeper plan. Probably, he's planning on some reciprocal visit to Hawaii to do some real damage.

Needham as a tourist destination? I think not. Did you notice the peculiar way that older houses were interspersed with brand new sprawling McMansions? It seems the basic rule of thumb is how quickly can we tear down the existing structure and throw up a new house completely out of step with the neighborhood.

Plus, one wonders how Bob managed to convince someone making a brief visit to BOSTON to schlep out to Needham using public transportation. To the neutral observer (not me) it would seem more welcoming for him to have met you at a place more convenient for you. More of his subtle tricks.

Did Bob take you by the high school he attended? One shudders.