Search

Stuck in Duck?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Lynn

Stuck in Duck?

Staying at Barrier Island in Duck 10/19-26 and wondering what we can do with three kids. Are the "amusements" closed? Is shopping okay there? Recommend antique and old book shops? Thanks.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Cindy

It's in the 70's there, so beach should be ok! In Nagshead there is mini-golf etc but it is all quite tacky and stores are boring chains (I think, anyway). Rent bikes, there's a good bike path. Go to Pea Island and go birding. Take a deep sea fishing trip (only if you are sure you won't be sea sick!) out of Oregon Inlet. Shopping in Duck is brief, gifty, souvenirish. Fine for a quick afternoon (kids will be bored except for the Kitty Hawk Kites store). RELAX!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:40 PM
George

Lynn: Late last month, we spent a week in S Nags Head, about MP20. Four adults and a two-year-old. We covered the territory from Corolla to Ocracoke. And it's a long, long way.

The geography works against you a bit. It's 80 miles from Duck to Cape Hatteras. And you must go beyond that to catch the ferry over to Ocracoke. The Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills area is perhaps the most commercialized. Roanoke has some nice historical stuff as well as some neat shops.

You must do Roanoke; you should do Ocracoke. But that latter would make for a long, long day.

I've got a couple of albums up at http://community.webshots.com/user/bookhall . One, for which I'll try to get the pictures labelled, is for the week as a whole (just high spots.) The othr is for the Wright Bros. Memorial at Kill Devil Hill. That too, is a must-see. The 100th anniversary of the First Flight is next year. The park itself is rather simple. And all the more powerful for it. You cannot stand at the point where they launched their first powered-flight and remain unmoved....

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:22 PM
wondering

How old are your kids? I assume they are preschool based on the time of year you are going. What are your interests? There are no "amusements" in Duck, and really none in Nags Head and the more commercial areas. The shopping in Duck is pretty good in my opinion, but maybe not what young kids would like.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Don

Hello Lynn,

Several years ago I spent the day just north of Duck, NC. I drove as far as the pavement allowed and then drove on the beach(it was allowed at the time, not sure now). I drove for miles and saw two other cars. I was alone and felt that I had the entire coast to myself. It was wonderful for several hours. I walked, napped, and just enjoyed some privacy. There are wild horses in the area, but I did not see any that day. If you go, please be careful as the sand and tides could strand you if you turn around in the wrong spot or lose track of time. The posibility of seeing wild horses may be egnough to excite your kids and you for what I hope will be a great day on the beach. If you are not so inclined, you could park at the end of the pavement and walk a mile or two up an empty beach. I hope you give it a try. I will never forget my day in Duck.

Don

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:14 PM
George

Don: Corolla is up there about where the pavement runs out. You can still drive on the beach. While we were out there, several horses wandered out. Got a couple pix--see photo album referenced above. The steeds seem used to vehicle and people presence, and also look well-fed. We were delighted the horses showed up when they did. Until they came onto the beach, we had no idea they were around...

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Don

George,

Those were great pic's. I wish I had seen the horses, but just a day with the beach too myself was great. I was working in Virginia Beach at the time, and away from home and family. I took a rare day off, and was glad I went to Corolla for the day. I drove up the beach for about 6-7 miles, and had it all to myself. I would love to go back with my wife sometime so she could see it as well. I hope Lynn and her family go up there to see the beauty of this area. I don't think they will be disappointed. Thanks again for the reference to the great pictures.

Don

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:42 AM
ddd

It would help to know the ages of the kids to direct you toward "amusements." The high season is over and some things have shut down but there are still plenty of people there so pick up one of those freebie magazines that advertises shops, restaurants and stuff to do. Just call head to see if they're open. In addition to the generic mini golf there are also a couple of paint your own ceramics type places. There's also a free weekly newspaper which lists activities for kids and adults.

The shopping from one end of the island to the other is all gifty, souvenirish or beach themed. Big surprise. There are two good book stores (neither old books) --- the Island Bookstore which is in Duck and Corolla and also the Manteo Bookstore in Manteo (referred to as Roanoke by George...the town is named Manteo and it's located on Roanoke Islant). Don't know of any good antique shops.

Other possibilites: The Nature Conservancy operates Nags Head Woods which is a wonderful nature preserve. There are a number of hiking trails (geared to different levels of stamina) and they also sponsor a number of kid activities. Definitely call ahead as they operate with volunteers and their hours may be scaled back. Climp Jockey's Ridge (REALLY big sand dune) and take in the view. Visit the Wright Brothers memorial and museaum. The NC Aquarium should still be open and is a fun excursion (other side of Manteo). The Elizabethan Gardens are a still beautiful this time of year and well worth a trip. Visit one of the old piers and go fishing for a couple of hours. Also I think the charter boats are still operating.

I've spent the last four weekends in Duck (and will be returning this weekend) and you've gotten some good advice from the posters above.

There's plenty to do. You make it sound a bit like a prison sentence. And here's a novel idea....you could just hang out on the beach.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Lynn

[ddd: Didn't mean to sound bummed.] Our kids are 14, 11, and 9. Y'all have given us some great ideas already. My husband said I forgot to ask about reasonably-priced places to eat in Duck/Corolla. Thanks again.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Cindy

As I recall, most of the restaurants are pretty expensive. The houses generally have really great kitchens. Buy some shrimp or fresh fish from the seafood place in Duck and cook it. We like a rather out-of-the-way place called Fisherman's Wharf in Wanchese. It is a bit of a drive but the hush puppies are worth it. Fish is VERY fresh.