Reload this Page >

NYC-Four Seasons Hotel

Search

NYC-Four Seasons Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Priscilla

NYC-Four Seasons Hotel

Has anyone stayed here? Would someone please comment on the rooms themselves, the service, etc;? Thank you.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Carl

Come on Priscilla, any seasoned traveller knows that a Four Seasons Hotel is the super best. Great location, fantastic service, great rooms + amenities. The cream of the crop.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Anon

I've posted detailed descriptions of my experiences there before (as recently as 11 months ago).
Check the archives (text search).
Bottom line, service second to none (but may seem snooty if you've not travelld much before), rooms are not typical FS, but have a much more modern flair.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:41 AM
carole

Carl, while Four Seasons is the world's highest rated hotel chain, it has its properties that are less spectacular.
I've been pleased but not overwhelmed by stays at the FS Toronto (where the corporation is based), Four Seasons London (needs freshening up) and FS Nevis (same complaint).
I will admit I'm picky, but when you pay for the best, you expect the best.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 06:51 AM
xxx

If you are staying there, all I can say is lucky you. Fabulous service, rooms, decor, location, etc. You pay dearly but it is great.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Frank

Check out the new Ritz-Carlton on Central Park South, I understand it gives the Four Seasons some stiff competition.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:34 PM
peter

great rooms,fabulous beds(pillows)huge and comfortable bathrooms,great service.the bar is jumping from 6 to 9 pm.breakfast in the restaurant is one of the best in nyc.
you could do a lot worse.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:44 PM
x

OMG Carole!!!! I feel exactly the same.
I am typing this message from the Toronto FS and I can't tell you how disappointed I am. Ordinary. Yucky motel quality bathtub... I'm not kidding, it's just a regulation tub, old and stained. The room and amenities are fine. The Regent properties are consistant. I have never been in a bad Regent. In NYC the Regent Wall Street is a favorite and I adore the Benjamin.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 12:57 PM
James

Did you know that both the Four Seasons and Fairmont hotel chains are owned by Canadians. The Four Seasons was always a Canadian chain. The Fairmont chain was bought by the Canadian Pacific hotel chain (they owned the Chateau Laurier, Banff Springs Hotel, Chateau Lake Louse, Royal York, etc). However, when they bought Fairmont, they recognized it was a "better" international brand name and kept it.

Oh Canada!

Did you also know that the Ritz-Carlton in Chicago is a Four Seasons property?

By the way, from the outside, I always thought the Four Seasons Toronto looked bland. Same thing with the Four Seasons in Georgetown (D.C.). I guess it's what's on the inside that counts. Of course, hotels that I think look more interesting on the outside [The Plaza (NY), The Palace (SF), Royal York (Tor)] apparently do not earn five or even four-star ratings.

On the other hand, the new Four Seasons in San Francisco looks amazing (that's a matter of opinion of course, others hate it).

Still, I will never have enough money to consider it "worth it" to pay for those sorts of hotels; well out of my league. Just thought some of this info was interesting (useless trivia)

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Chris

The Ritz Chicago is owned and managed by FS (past 6 years or so), but it was built by RC and as such it looks like most other Ritz's (I hate RC bathrooms...that white/gray marble and those shower/tubs).

What does Canadian ownership have to do with anything?

Fairmont, by the way, is a very inconsistent chain for its price segment, and not a chain I will stay at unless I know the actual property. There are some very mediocre Fairmonts.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 01:34 PM
James

Canadian ownership doesn't have much to do with anything, I admit. But I am from Canada and thought it might be midly interesting (or completely useless). Didn't mean to waste anybody's time, sorry.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 02:37 PM
aaa

FYI...The Ritz in Chicago has been a Four Seasons hotel for over 20 years.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Chris

James I didn't mean your comment about Canadian ownership was a waste or not interesting. I assumed you were implying that it was noteworthy because Canadian management might be somehow expected to be inferior in the luxury segment or something.
I have no reason to believe Canadian management has any pro or con effect on corporate success. Since Canada is so much smaller than the US (population) their businesses don't stand out as much on the US landscape because they are comparatively few in number.

Thanks for the correction, aaa. I first stayed at the RC Chicago about 6 years ago but wasn't sure if the changeover had been recent.