Straight through to Hana-then backtrack?

Old Aug 30th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straight through to Hana-then backtrack?

Has anyone ever tried this approach? I was reading through some posts on the RTH and saw that one guy had considered it. I was thinking that we could get up early (6am), then drive to Oheo Gulch and spend some time there before the crowds descend, and then have the entire day to make our way home to the Kaanapali area. I figured that way, we'd be able to stop and feel like we could linger, because we'd be making our way back with each stop. We're staying in a condo, so we could pack a cooler the evening before...what do you think?
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 12:30 PM

We flew in to Maui and I believe was on the road to Hana by 7:30. We bought a book-on-tape at a gas station, outfitted a cooler with food, and took our time getting to Hana.

Our return flight was at 7:00 that evening, so that meant we had to be back before 6:00 p.m. There was so much to see, I still felt rushed and will make it a two-day trip the next time. I'm also intrigued by the reports from people who continued passed Hana and circled the island.

Also keep in mind with all the curves (and other tourists following the same strategy), you may not get to Hana as fast as you wish.

Finally, I never get car sick, but my stomach definitely reminded me that my body was not accustomed to the many turns :-0.

Have a good trip.
Mike Honeycutt
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 01:10 PM

I would consider this myself after having done Hana the "usual" way. I would also be interested in KNowing the drive time from the Wailea side of the island to Hana backwards. I might consider starting there and working counter-clockwise. Mainly so you didnt have to see the same thing on the way back that you saw on the way there. And it might be faster doing it that way in the morning also. Anyone done this?
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 01:32 PM

On the map it may look like Wailea connects with the "back way" to Hana, but it does not. From Wailea you will have to drive back to Kahuluhi and then up Haleakala Highway and head towards Kula where eventually Highway 37 turns into Highway 31 (Piilani Hwy, not to be confused with the Piilani stretch that connects Kihei and Wailea.)
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 02:51 PM

Yes, I have done this trip -- in a Jeep. (Don't try it in a regular auto.) We loved the experience. It was a little hairy just because you have the narrow little roads that wind around & you must honk while going around a turn. Since people actually live there & are used to the drive, you will find some driving like bats out of hell but do not follow their lead. I think it took us about 3.5 hours to get to Wailea on the way back. It was dark when we returned and we didn't count on that. I also thought the road would come conveniently right into Wailea but I think we ended up beside Haleakala & then had to go a round about way. It was worth it to us. We are spontaneous, adventuresome types so we loved not knowing what lay ahead. Looking out into the horizon was so cool because you see water as far as your eyes can see and you can see the arc of the earth. We have never taken a cruise but I would imagine you would see that sight from a boat on the ocean as well.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:38 AM

we drove the backway around from hana and it was beautiful. we had a minivan and had no problem. there were lots of convertibles and vans that we saw. the road is not that bad. we left kaanapali at 9 am and got back at 9 pm. have fun.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:30 AM

Looks as though some didn't follow the question. We did this after staying in Hana a few days. Worked great. I expect that the Pools will be occupied when you get there. I've seen them busy in April in the a.m.
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

What we were wanting to do was to drive straight through to Seven Sacred Pools, going the Northern route, THEN turn around and do all the stops on the way back home. (I think there was some confusion, also.) My biggest concern is spending too much time stopping on the way there and finding ourselves coming down some very scary stretches of road on the way home in the dark. THAT doesn't sound like any fun to me....
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 07:09 AM

As you probably know the Road to Hana is very slow going. If you drive straight through (without stopping) you might find that you are quite tired by the time that you get to Hana and you might not have as much enthusiasm to enjoy the return trip. I think it would be a better strategy to take your time and make as many stops as possible on the way to Hana; and then on the return trip you can hit the things you missed or by-passed or that you might want to see again.

And you always have the option of continuing on the road past Hana so that you don't have to back track (highly recommended).