Help---need to pick a good SOBE restaurant for fiance

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am suprising my fiance for his birthday this weekend and am taking him to SOBE this weekend...Trying to make dinner reservations for his birthday dinner (this Saturday) and he wants steak or italian----we are staying at Majestic/Avalon Hotel---already called Osteria del Teatro and they are closed on holiday for this weekend and Joia is closed until October for remodeling....would like to go somewhere closeby too..anyone have any ideas?? Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:43 PM
cd

Sorry, SOBE stands for?
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:46 PM

Well, it's not specifically Italian or steak, but how about Wish, over in The Hotel (Collins at 8th)? They have a smoked sirloin entrée that is one of the best steaks I've had out east in my entire life. I have to think back to incredible meals at Le Bifthèque or Chez la Mère Tucker (both in Montréal) for comparable steak. And the rest of the menu's pretty incredible too. Note that it's quite expensive. But worth every penny.

There are quite a few Italian joints on Lincoln Road-- the names of which escape me. Maybe a local can remind us both...?
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 12:46 PM

Oh, and SoBe stands for South Beach. Nowadays, only tourists and those in the tourism industry call it SoBe. Still, old habits....
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 01:03 PM

How interesting. I know a major photographer who lives and works in South Beach. He always calls in SoBe. I'd better call him and let him and all the models know they are wrong and outdated.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 01:42 PM

If you like small places, with a few tables, but very good food, ITalian by Italians, try Escopazzo,chef owners are Pino and Giancarla Bodoni, Washington Ave 1311, since it is an special place, you can call ahead and talk to the owners,explain what you wish, ask how much it will coast,
and ask for anything special. They are lovely people and the food is fantastic. They have been there since the begining of SOBE. That is over
10 years. 305 674 9450
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 01:43 PM

Sorry I meant how much it will cost, what I like about this place is the intimacy
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Well, Patrick, I only know what I am told by friends who themselves live and work in the Miami area (including South Beach). I guess because they don't work in the glitzy industries themselves, they bristle at the "SoBe" moniker. I'm sure your photog friend and his models happily use it-- I'm just saying that outside that industry, citizens aren't using "SoBe" as much as tourists (and those in the travel industry) do.
Old Sep 16th, 2003, 06:06 PM

I would suggest Ago at the Shore Club http://www.shoreclub.com/dining.html
It's romantic....
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

I'll check it out....any other restaurant suggestions??
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 06:28 PM

I would try Pearl or China Grill--both always a favorite of mine. Someone else on the board suggested Wish...unless the food has improved I would never dream of sending anyone else there, then again maybe the two times I was there were off nights. Another place that is a little more low key but always good food and a good atmosphere is Jo Allen's on Purdy
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Ashleynona: I went to Wish this past July 4th weekend, twice-- and loved it. My SigO and I both had incredible meals each night. Not cheap, but every bite was a dream. And they didn't stuff you to the gills-- a BIG plus in my book. Perfect portion size.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 11:35 AM
GoTravel

rjw, my sis and brother in law live in South Beach and cringe when they hear anyone refer to it as SoBe.

Patrick, how is your photog friend staying afloat? Most of the fashion biz has moved out of South Beach? Good for him being able to hang tough.

As far as great restaurants go, I am a big fan of The Forge. One of the best wine cellars in Florida if not the South East.

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 01:24 PM

Hi Go Travel, a lot of our friends say The Forge is great, and it is true it has a great wine cellar, but last time we were there and had New york steaks they were terrible, I call a steak terrible when although it is pink has no juice and meat tastes and looks like sand......sorry but that is the way they were..... so I wouldn 't recommend it for steaks. For Italian i would go to Escopazzo as stated previously or if money is no object to Casa Tua, this is a new expensive restaurant , the food there is true Italian and very good.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 01:50 PM

Go Travel, I never said this friend was in the "fashion" industry. There is a whole lot of photography going on in and out of Miami that has nothing to do with fashion -- and still involves models. Cruise catalogs, commercials, and advertising of all sorts, for starters. He actually lives in Chicago, but bought a place in SOBE several years ago as his business time there keeps increasing, and he is now in SOBE more than in Chicago or New York.
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:53 PM
GoTravel

Sorry Patrick. I made an assumption when you wrote photographer and models. Glad he is doing well!

Graz, hate that you had a bad meal at The Forge. I've never had a bad experience there in the past 15 years. Hope you'll give it another try!

Old Sep 20th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Ok, Go Travel one of these days we'll give the Forge another try, as I said I heard lots of good things about it. Cheers.