Notices

Wailea to Hana?

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wailea to Hana?

OK, after looking at a map of Maui...a little curious about the road to Hana. Appears that you could get to Hana by driving counter-clockwise from Wailea. Is that possible?

Thinking about staying in Wailea for two nights, driving to Hana, and then checking into a Kannapali or Lahaina hotel for three nights?

Trip not til next Spring. Just checking.

I drove Oahu counterclockwise after attending the Aloha Swap meet on a Sunday in October. Wonderful day and drive. Wondering if I can do the same in Maui.

Thoughts???

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:35 PM
gyppielou

What looks, on some maps to be access to Wailea is actually a private gated road. You must go passed the vineyard and back down towards the airport...and around...oh that road looks enticing, but it is for the best as it would open up a traffic jam of cars to Heavenly Hana in either direction, ruining what is truly heavenly about Hana!

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:42 PM

We stayed at the Royal Lahaina, but its been a while. I remember it was nice. Also did the Hana trip, took the traditional route but we came to an area that said no rental cars beyond this point (after we went thru Hana)and of course my husband loves to nosebag, so we went all the way around the back of Maui where the dormant volcano is, ranchers and almost no gas stations! It was a very long stressful trip for me as my nose doesn't bag like my husbands! The "legal" part of the trip to Hana was great. I loved the black beach, can still picture it now.

Now it may be open, but then it wasn't.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:46 PM

You can't get from Wailea direct. What looks road to Kaupo on many maps is the Hoapili Trail, part of the King's Highway, an historic foot trail through lava fields. Are you just trying to get to Hana Town for some particular reason, or are you going to see the sights in east Maui? If you just want to get to Hana, then the southern route will allow you to avoid the daily "Road to Hana" exodus traffic. But if are driving east Maui to experience it and see the sights, I fully recommend you take the north route. You will see more, first of all. There are no waterfalls on the south road until Kipahulu. All of the guide books and audio tours start in Kahului and will of no use to you. Plenty other reasons too. Look for some other very recent posts on this topic.

You might consider spending one nigth in Hana. It makes the trip much more enjoyable. I can't imagine trying to see the sights and do it all in one day. You miss so much.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 03:39 AM

It is possible to drive from Wailea to Hana, which we refer to as "reverse road to Hana" described in our last trip report on Maui:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34456218

We followed the maps in the bible(www.wizardpub.com/maui/maui.html) and agree with the authors that the "forward/clockwise" road to Hana is the best way to drive it, not only because you will be in-synch. with the CD/tape and other published tours, but also because the sunlight works against you for . This area is best in the afternoon/ and reminded us of some unearthly portions of the Big Island.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:05 AM

I think it's necessary toclarify that the route from Wailea to Hana first involves driving the route towards Haleakala and involves driving more distance to get back to a higher mountainside view of Wailea before you start heading S to N, towards Hana if you attempt the reverse Hana route.

As others point out above, there isn't a road south of Wailea.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

As always, thanks so much for your insight.