Reload this Page >

Steamboat Springs in July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:09 PM
T.M.

A friend of mine is involved in the Strings in the Mountains festival in Steamboat Springs in July and has invited me out to join her. She'll be teaching part of the time. Is it nice during the summer? Is there good hiking nearby so I can stay busy while she's teaching? What's the town like? We would be staying at the college dorm nearby.

Any help would be appreciated before I take the plunge and buy my plane ticket. Thanks!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:21 PM
alex

I was there this February (so not helpful as far as summer). I thought the town (and the village) was charming. The town still retains a real western flavor. There are tons of little shops (many with real cowboy gear) and restaurants. I really liked Winona's, a little deli-type place on Lincoln Avenue. You can also go to the hot springs (both downtown and at Strawberry Park). I went horseback riding (I don't ski and my husband broke his arm the first day so I had to find some way to amuse myself!) and the scenery is just beautiful. It was the only time I have been there and I liked it and found a lot to do. I used these two websites to plan my activities as well as the Fodors guide.

http://www.steamboat-chamber.com/

http://www.ci.steamboat.co.us/

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:33 PM
kima

T.M. buy that ticket! You will love Steamboat is summer. Plenty of spectacular hiking, biking. Hot springs of course. A very friendly town. A great spot for lunch is the yacht club, on the river it has a wonderful deck. (No boats at all just a silly name)
An added plus is that Steamboat’s elevation is lower than that of many Colorado Ski towns. You can breath!
Steamboat is one of my favorite places in Colorado. You will love it.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:37 PM
kima

another link

http://www.coloradoguide.com/searchform3.cfm

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 12:47 PM
gb

Heaven must be Steamboat in July. My daughter has a soccer tournament there in mid-July, and (other than the fact that I love to watch her play) it's the only tournament that I look forward to. It is beautiful. Temperature is just right during the day, light jacket at night. The strings tent is in a great location. Plenty to do there. If there's enough water, you can tube down the Yampa. There's a hot springs pool to soak in. There's a more wild hot springs at Strawberry(that is clothing is optional during the evening I believe, but bathing suits during the day). Hiking on the mountain. Can take lift up and bike or hike down. I didn't know there was a college there, though. So, take the plunge-you might not want to go home.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:00 PM
tt

ttt

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 08:04 PM
T.M.

Thanks, everybody! I appreciate the links and the recommendations.

I was already pretty sure I was going to do this but this just confirmed it. I'm really excited now!